Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-17-2018, 07:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Who's paying Stinky?
I’m not sure, but I think I deserve a commission, or at least a case of beer.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
As for 6.5 caliber cartridges being shown on YouTube, I have seen more multiple shots to the vitals videos than one shot kill videos.
No doubt. The same could be said for any cartridge though. I have seldom seen instant deaths except for spine shots and close range with high velocity. Two well placed shots to the vitals is pretty normal for bull elk. The video just illustrates it performed average at over 600 yards. I would not expect any different result with a magnum cartridge.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeron Kahyar View Post
Wow you really can find any reason to tug your own horn over this. Glad you like your 6.5s but it is getting a little old...

I think Coiloil summed this one up nicely "Confirmation bias" maybe with a bit of straw man argument tactics.
I’m not even arguing the 6.5 at all here. What I’m trying to show is how I came to omit ft/lbs from my tools to compare cartridges and bullets to one another in the most equal and valid way possible. I will add the caveat that I omit the figure as comparing almost always cartridges we already know and use as competent big game killers with known general limits afield. So...to compare the newer offerings to the old standards I’m using the most accurate way imo. I’m not alone, and I’m not wrong.

Going by energy will get you by just fine, it won’t let you down. It’s just not the most accurate way to compare.

That I came around to the 6.5’s as a preference is merely coincidence. I was a fan of the 6.5 Grendel likely by 2005. Not because it was a 6.5. I am a huge fan of over 100 gr 6mm, and my favorite long time standard is the 270 win.

I appreciate all cartridges differently than most and it’s far more about numbers than names, bullets than calibers, velocities than energy. There is one energy I feel worth always mentioning however, recoil energy. It’s well documented that terminal energy is a lottery at best.

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 12-17-2018 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Lol, I got you. I’ll trade you case for a bottle of wine.✌️
Old 12-17-2018, 07:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Lol, I got you. I’ll trade you case for a bottle of wine.✌️
Red Royal? Or is it Royal Red?
Old 12-17-2018, 07:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Red Royal? Or is it Royal Red?
Lol I may have to google it. If it starts around 20 then it’ll likely be alright.😉
Old 12-17-2018, 07:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303carbine View Post
Boddington is an over rated gas bag, I sent him an email once asking him what tree bark soup tasted like because he nailed more trees than any thing else he shot at while hunting.
I never did get a response............
Ok that’s pretty funny but I have to say more for the writing eloquence lol. I like Boddington, I have a book signed by him with a nice note to me from way back in the early 90’s. If you continuously do the same things with the same formulas and they work then he’s not exactly wrong either is he? Anyway, funny story.✌️
Old 12-17-2018, 07:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Wow you really can find any reason to tug your own horn over this. Glad you like your 6.5s but it is getting a little old...

I think Coiloil summed this one up nicely "Confirmation bias" maybe with a bit of straw man argument tactics.
And Andrew...

Am I 100% wrong in your view? Seriously, how far up the ranking are you putting terminal energy in the comparison values to use?

It’s a distant 5th to me...so where do you have it?

1. Appropriate for game construction.
2. Appropriate for game sd.
3. Appropriate for game impact velocity.
4. Recoil energy.
5. And the lottery of terminal energy....it no longer registers for me. I know it’s there and I know there’s enough. That’s all that needs to be known. The first 3 are more likely tied for first place in my eyes, mandatory.

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 12-17-2018 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
You deserve a heck of lot more than just a bottle or a case of beer,i must admit that Stinky doesn't give up easy .I think that's a Guinness record for most sd post on earth for the 6.5 cal,5 months of constant pounding none stop and very persistent no matter who bucked the trend of the 6.5,but no sarcasms towards other members,just stuck to his story an plowed right on through.

So as I look back it does have a hell of a pile of humor after all the back and forth stuff and now when I see an SC post,I think of the song or poem , The cat came back he couldn't stay away ..

Wish everyone on AO a merry xmas and the best of health to all.

JD
Old 12-17-2018, 08:16 PM
Banned

Old 12-17-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
And Andrew...

Am I 100% wrong in your view? Seriously, how far up the ranking are you putting terminal energy in the comparison values to use?

It’s a distant 5th to me...so where do you have it?

1. Appropriate for game construction.
2. Appropriate for game sd.
3. Appropriate for game impact velocity.
4. Recoil energy.
5. And the lottery of terminal energy....it no longer registers for me. I know it’s there and I know there’s enough. That’s all that needs to be known. The first 3 are more likely tied for first place in my eyes, mandatory.
2 and 3 together make energy! 1 and 2 and 3 make penetration. So I guess I can agree with your terms. Just delete the energy on 5th as you already counted for it.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:

I always enjoy a good debate!
Old 12-17-2018, 08:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
2 and 3 together make energy! 1 and 2 and 3 make penetration. So I guess I can agree with your terms. Just delete the energy on 5th as you already counted for it.
Ha! I can read it that way too.✌️
Old 12-17-2018, 08:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Lol I may have to google it. If it starts around 20 then it’ll likely be alright.😉
Starts around 20?

I just remember ol’ Morris Bouvier hanging out at the snye in ft mac, fishin on the banks of the Clearwater river and his big ol’ bottle of wine, heck it even had a finger loop on it fer easy swiggin.

Nothin but da best!!!
Old 12-17-2018, 08:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Lol ya, and he said Cape buffalo don’t care about ft/lbs, only placement. He has at least 100 Cape buffalo now and the majority with a 375 h&h.

So if energy not important and placement is...what else would matter?

How about...you guessed it...appropriate for game sd, impact velocity and construction.😁
So you used a eld m for moose hunting when hornady doesn’t recommend it for hunting? Now your smarter than the engineers designing these bullets? Of course you are, not sure why I even asked that
Old 12-17-2018, 08:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41thunder View Post
So you used a eld m for moose hunting when hornady doesn’t recommend it for hunting? Now your smarter than the engineers designing these bullets? Of course you are, not sure why I even asked that
Velocity
Old 12-17-2018, 08:38 PM
Banned

Had a long winded reply but this is getting tiring. Only 2 hunts left his year. Then start again Jan 1
Old 12-17-2018, 09:20 PM
Banned

Prolly best

Will try to help on that, had I used solids and just poked holes I’m sure the end result would have been the same. Try to think of an amax/eldm or ballistic tip at lower velocities like an sst/accubond at higher velocities. They work fantastic, expand well, penetrate well. The slow stuff let’s say 2700 fps launch and less...does very well with them. Launching north of 2900 and I love the accubonds.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Prolly best

Will try to help on that, had I used solids and just poked holes I’m sure the end result would have been the same. Try to think of an amax/eldm or ballistic tip at lower velocities like an sst/accubond at higher velocities. They work fantastic, expand well, penetrate well. The slow stuff let’s say 2700 fps launch and less...does very well with them. Launching north of 2900 and I love the accubonds.
The best thing would be if you stopped talking
Old 12-17-2018, 10:08 PM
Banned

Would that be the best thing ever? So many things...1. Ignore(good call Inclund, I think it’s time) and 2. The pot calling the kettle 3. Point a finger and 3 more pointing back at you (see #2.) 4. Who started this thread and forced you to respond? 5. Oh yeah...the ignore button. Never thought I’d need to use it but dang...

Looking for it...gimme a minute to find how to use this feature.

Edit, can someone pm me how to do the ignore thing? No joke.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:

Edit, can someone pm me how to do the ignore thing? No joke.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/profi...?do=ignorelist

Have at 'er mate.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Control panel, ya had no idea lol. Instant too, muchos gracias.✌️
Old 12-18-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303carbine View Post
Boddington is an over rated gas bag, I sent him an email once asking him what tree bark soup tasted like because he nailed more trees than any thing else he shot at while hunting.
I never did get a response............
Boddington has hunted with me three times. He can shoot. Well. Very well. Great guy in camp. Does not offer or give any advice unless asked. Does not guide the guide. If you had any idea of how much he hunts and shoots you would be blown away. If you had actually met him and spent time with him you would know better.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:21 PM

I googled his name and articals he wrote.

Yuppers, he's been around for a few years. Very informative fellow it sounds like.

He likes to share his experiences of what ever he's encountered over the years.

👍
Old 12-18-2018, 02:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittergitter View Post
Boddington has hunted with me three times. He can shoot. Well. Very well. Great guy in camp. Does not offer or give any advice unless asked. Does not guide the guide. If you had any idea of how much he hunts and shoots you would be blown away. If you had actually met him and spent time with him you would know better.
X2 you would be hard pressed to find someone with more dangerous game experience that’s still alive on this planet. Very humble man
Old 12-19-2018, 09:16 AM

It's a good thing that our North American Elk & Moose aren't the size of those Cape Buffalo, it would make a person kinda nervous Creek fishing. Ha.

That's where the 416 Rigby side-arm would come in handy, probilibly end up getting run over and trompped into the river bank.

🐮
Old 12-19-2018, 12:09 PM

Default well

A 400gr Partition from a .416 Rigby does relax moose.