Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-23-2019, 12:09 AM
Banned

I just can not believe it took this long. I swear I saw this exact same plan about 10 years ago. Stampede land, Entertainment district new arena. I had just gotten back from Phoenix and saw what they had down there and noticed the plan for the Stampede grounds was the same.

The Stampede board was always going to be part of this. They NEVER would have let this income go away. The only way this happens is if the CS guys are happy. At the end of the day, they keep a low profile, but they do run this city. More Stampede guys needed at city hall!

I think so much of all this was just smoke and mirrors. This was the inevitable outcome. Just have to play the fight out for the folks so that everyone can say they tried so hard. Build the Arena. Call it what you wish, but why only 19,000 capacity. Seems it should be the biggest in the NHL . Tickets are hard to come by and the demand is there. Build it, they will come!

So, how do we get a new football field now?
Old 07-23-2019, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
Enjoy it Oiler fans, this trade will be the only thing you guys win this season.
At least it appears that way, nothing for sure u till the season starts.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
If that makes you feel better about the most stupid trade of this century... have at er. If I were a Flames fan, I'd more likely be tasting vomit in my mouth.

But now that Tre is on a roll, maybe he can package up Brodie and a first for Brent Seabrook. He should strike while his irons are still hot. He knows a deal when he sees one. He sure does.

Last edited by sns2; 07-23-2019 at 02:14 AM.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
If that makes you feel better about the most stupid trade of this century... have at er. If I were a Flames fan, I'd more likely be tasting vomit in my mouth.

But now that Tre is on a roll, maybe he can package up Brodie and a first for Brent Seabrook. He should strike while his irons are still hot. He knows a deal when he sees one. He sure does.
It's probably a bad trade, especially given Lucic's contract, but I think the majority of Oiler fans are looking at Neal on what he could be, not what he was last year. If his game doesn't come around, what you can expect, for those who use the advanced stats anyway, is far and away the worst player on the team, and points wise, a guy who managed to put up even less points than Lucic. Player to player, meh, just that contract. I sure hope part of the deal is that Calgary doesn't have to protect him....
Old 07-23-2019, 10:20 AM

Calgary was badly in need of a looch and Edmonton was badly in need of what could be Neal.(sounds more realistic right now than Real deal).
I have a hunch it is going to benefit both teams somewhat.
I see Neal with 20 plus goals.
I see flames with a little more room to skate and looch stepping up his don’t mess with my boys role.
Hope it works out for both.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
It's probably a bad trade, especially given Lucic's contract, but I think the majority of Oiler fans are looking at Neal on what he could be, not what he was last year. If his game doesn't come around, what you can expect, for those who use the advanced stats anyway, is far and away the worst player on the team, and points wise, a guy who managed to put up even less points than Lucic. Player to player, meh, just that contract. I sure hope part of the deal is that Calgary doesn't have to protect him....
I hear ya for sure. It's all a gamble. Neal could have as putrid a year this year as he did last year. It could happen, but it is not likely based on 10 straight really good seasons, and his year in Vegas was real good. I think of us Joe Schmucks; most of us have a crappy year at work one out of 11 if you know what I mean. Maybe he thought he was God's gift. Maybe he didn't come to camp in shape. Maybe he had a terrible attitude. Maybe his relationship with his bosses was horrible. It was likely a number of these together. I guess we will see.

Lucic had the same drop-off, but two years in a row. His style of play, to be effective, is way harder on both the body, and the mind. Honestly, when he was not fighting every 10 or so games, his play tailed off considerably. I looked it up on hockeyfights.com, and he went from 6 to 4 to 2 fights last year.
Yes he still hit, and sometimes punishingly, but for those of us who watched him every game, it appeared he just cruised around, as if the game had passed him by. As I have said, I hope he rips the skin off the ball for you guys, and I hope Neal does too. I like the Flames. I really do.

However, the contract is an anchor. A really, really big one. You guys are more prepared to weather it, as you have a damn good hockey team, so he can play fourth line minutes for you. We never had that luxury. Still don't.

If Neal messes his pants we buy him out and replace him with a guy worth 4 million. For the Flames that is impossible. There is next to no cap relief at all.
Because so much of his contract is paid out, you will likely be able to trade him to a team needing to reach the cap floor by adding some type of sweetener. But, he's still got a full no movement clause, and if he falls in love with Calgary as a city and a team. He can politely say to your GM, "Uh... I think I am gonna stay right where I am thank you very much." He earned that right.

I know this. We have a really bad hockey team - stats don't lie - and it has given us something to be happy about. I am anticipating his best games to be against us next year. His best games over the last three years have been against you.

Fingers crossed for all of us long-suffering Alberta hockey fans. Watching Alberta boys who play on US teams bring Stanley to their hometowns in the summer has gotten really old.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:42 AM

Imma betting Neal has a nasty coke habit...... or that other habit that Doug Gilmore had that made the Shames ship him out real real fast.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 07-23-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Imma betting Neal has a nasty coke habit...... or that other habit that Doug Gilmore had that made the Shames ship him out real real fast.
Weak drug policy the NHL has...

https://www.tsn.ca/all-nhl-player-do...-says-1.735457
Old 07-23-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
I hear ya for sure. It's all a gamble. Neal could have as putrid a year this year as he did last year. It could happen, but it is not likely based on 10 straight really good seasons, and his year in Vegas was real good. I think of us Joe Schmucks; most of us have a crappy year at work one out of 11 if you know what I mean. Maybe he thought he was God's gift. Maybe he didn't come to camp in shape. Maybe he had a terrible attitude. Maybe his relationship with his bosses was horrible. It was likely a number of these together. I guess we will see.

Lucic had the same drop-off, but two years in a row. His style of play, to be effective, is way harder on both the body, and the mind. Honestly, when he was not fighting every 10 or so games, his play tailed off considerably. I looked it up on hockeyfights.com, and he went from 6 to 4 to 2 fights last year.
Yes he still hit, and sometimes punishingly, but for those of us who watched him every game, it appeared he just cruised around, as if the game had passed him by. As I have said, I hope he rips the skin off the ball for you guys, and I hope Neal does too. I like the Flames. I really do.

However, the contract is an anchor. A really, really big one. You guys are more prepared to weather it, as you have a damn good hockey team, so he can play fourth line minutes for you. We never had that luxury. Still don't.

If Neal messes his pants we buy him out and replace him with a guy worth 4 million. For the Flames that is impossible. There is next to no cap relief at all.
Because so much of his contract is paid out, you will likely be able to trade him to a team needing to reach the cap floor by adding some type of sweetener. But, he's still got a full no movement clause, and if he falls in love with Calgary as a city and a team. He can politely say to your GM, "Uh... I think I am gonna stay right where I am thank you very much." He earned that right.

I know this. We have a really bad hockey team - stats don't lie - and it has given us something to be happy about. I am anticipating his best games to be against us next year. His best games over the last three years have been against you.

Fingers crossed for all of us long-suffering Alberta hockey fans. Watching Alberta boys who play on US teams bring Stanley to their hometowns in the summer has gotten really old.
I'll agree with this. Good post..
The Fan 960 broke down the Looch contract the other day and the way they went over it, it didn't seem too too bad as it was front end heavy and the Oilers have ate a lot of the big stuff.. Every year that passes it's not as bad. Don't get me wrong i still think we paid to much but hope it works out.

I'm totally on board with getting that dang cup back in Canada and of course in Berta would be best. At least Canadian players are bringing it home..
Old 07-23-2019, 07:10 PM

No one talking about the new event centre. Vote Monday but all parties agree. Not bad considering this talk started in 2007 😂. Inverted bowl sounds cool and non traditional
Old 07-23-2019, 07:30 PM

I can't believe the event centre is even a discussion

I didn't get to discuss the new 300 m library
or the 300 m BMO expansion or the Arts Common expansion or the
billions of dollars green line or even the blue ring

none of these type of items items provide any type of economical impact , I'm sure that if 18,000 go to the new event centre and on average including ticket spend $250.00 per visit provides more economical impact than the 2000 visitors a day going through the library get free books

and BTW were is our first FIELD HOUSE , I hear Edmonton has five of them
Old 07-23-2019, 08:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
To be fair as an Oiler player I'm sure most of the team nurses lots of hangovers. It's how they cope with the situation.
I do wish we held Neal for one more season but I don't think him and Peter's saw eye to eye.
Peter's knows what Neal should have been putting out and obviously wasn't.
Suck as typically that's the kind of player we need. Size and skill. Hopefully he continues to shat beds all next season again.

You're an Oilers player!! Nice to meet you
Old 07-23-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
He's built just like 'em...........

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 07-23-2019, 08:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
I hear ya for sure. It's all a gamble. Neal could have as putrid a year this year as he did last year. It could happen, but it is not likely based on 10 straight really good seasons, and his year in Vegas was real good.
Here's a possible reason that Neal had a crappy year with the Flames, that I've heard on AM radio. He had just played 2 years of back to back Stanely Cup finals (read burn out). The Cup finals end in sometime in June and training with the boyz starts mid-July... Flames and Oilers players have at least 2 months off more than the playoff contenders (like school teachers ...jk,,jk.. )
Old 07-23-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
I'll agree with this. Good post..
The Fan 960 broke down the Looch contract the other day and the way they went over it, it didn't seem too too bad as it was front end heavy and the Oilers have ate a lot of the big stuff.. Every year that passes it's not as bad. Don't get me wrong i still think we paid to much but hope it works out.

I'm totally on board with getting that dang cup back in Canada and of course in Berta would be best. At least Canadian players are bringing it home..

Neal and Lucic are $ 2M difference total $$ owing on a buyout. The big difference comes on the cap hit still remaining "after" you buy either out.

Assuming both play on their respective teams this coming season but get bought out immediately after:

Lucic' counting cap hit for the next 3 years following is $ 4.9M; $ 3.6M; $ 4.9M. Then he'd be $ 550,000 per for the next 4 years. Rough total of $ 15.6M over 7 years. That's all Calgary's.

Neal's counting cap hit for the next 3 years following is $ 1.9; $ 1.9; 1.9. That would continue for the next 4 years following. 7 x 1.9m = $ 13.4M over 7 years. That's all Edmonton's.

But... the Oilers are still on the hook for 12.5% of Lucic buyout as well which is roughly $ 600k per year that has to be subtracted from their cap hit savings. So losing Lucic and taking on Neal translates to $ 2.4M; $ 1.1M; $ 2.4M actual cap hit savings per year for 3 years after the upcoming season which was the prime goal for Edmonton.

The BIGGEST thing here for the Oilers was gaining that cap space and secondly was losing a player that wasn't contributing. End of story. Plus they are probably counting on Neal recovering some from last years dismal performance. I'd say he's the better bet but who knows? Lucic will beat some guys senseless so that could be worth the extra coin.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
Ha nope, but if I was I would defiantly not admit it in public, but I would be hungover.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:08 PM

Bennett signed a two year, $5.1M deal today. Wish it was the same cap hit for three or four years, but that is likely wishful thinking. Seems like a decent deal for the Flames.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Bennett signed a two year, $5.1M deal today. Wish it was the same cap hit for three or four years, but that is likely wishful thinking. Seems like a decent deal for the Flames.
Heard that, yeah a third year would be sweet but I was happy with Benny last season. Showed most heart in out little playoff run.
Man I wish they would get Tkachuk done.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:36 PM

Good player. Huge heart. I see him moving up the lineup. Just scratching the surface. Wish he were an Oiler.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:12 PM

2 yr is perfect as he remains a rfa. 3 yrs UFA. Luv to see him progress and get a bit of a payday
Quote:
Heard that, yeah a third year would be sweet but I was happy with Benny last season. Showed most heart in out little playoff run.
Man I wish they would get Tkachuk done.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Good player. Huge heart. I see him moving up the lineup. Just scratching the surface. Wish he were an Oiler.
I agree, but would like to see a little more production out of him...
Old 07-24-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
I agree, but would like to see a little more production out of him...
More consistent, some nights his name is mentioned non stop, others you don't even know he is playing.
Kind of like our big 3 after Christmas, which I hope changes this year.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:36 AM

Rittich signed for 2 years and $5.5M. Like that signing too.

Thinking we are going to lose another trade here though, likely involving Frolik and Brodie, to clear some cap space.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Rittich signed for 2 years and $5.5M. Like that signing too.

Thinking we are going to lose another trade here though, likely involving Frolik and Brodie, to clear some cap space.
I like this signing also. Agree Fro and Brodie most likely going and can see dropping Brodie for space and picks. Frolik I would like to see get someone in return but to clear space would be a lesser player. Will see.