Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-30-2021, 09:51 AM
Banned

Default Looking to upgrade my .22

Looking to upgrade my .22 (have Savage and Marlin bolts at the moment).
Have narrowed it down to these two...reviews positive on both. Wondering if anyone has actually shot them.
https://store.theshootingcentre.com/...3-walnut-rifle
https://www.nordicmarksman.com/Steyr...r-II-22lr.html
Any comments appreciated.
Old 01-30-2021, 10:07 AM

Had a 1416D for many years. Absolutely fantastic piece of machinery. It shot better 100 yd groups with plain jane ammo than most centerfires can. You won’t be disappointed.
Old 01-30-2021, 10:13 AM

No experience with the Steyr but I have owned several Anschutz, and fired many more. They do pretty good even with cheap ammunition, and are very impressive with ammunition they like.You can't go wrong with the Anschutz.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 01-30-2021 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-30-2021, 10:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
Had a 1416D for many years. Absolutely fantastic piece of machinery. It shot better 100 yd groups with plain jane ammo than most centerfires can. You won’t be disappointed.
That’s kind of the way I’m leaning...great to hear because 100 yds or greater is my intention.
Old 01-30-2021, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
That’s kind of the way I’m leaning...great to hear because 100 yds or greater is my intention.
I have been shooting and competing with Anschutz rifles since 1966 in many different configurations, and even what they considered an entry level rifle was superior to any of the run of the mill .22's from North America.

I used to grab up every Anschutz I saw for a decent buck , if for no other reason to sell it to friends who were looking for a rifle.
Even the old ones shoot super!
Cat
Old 01-30-2021, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Looking to upgrade my .22 (have Savage and Marlin bolts at the moment).
Have narrowed it down to these two...reviews positive on both. Wondering if anyone has actually shot them.
https://store.theshootingcentre.com/...3-walnut-rifle
https://www.nordicmarksman.com/Steyr...r-II-22lr.html
Any comments appreciated.
I just sold off a 1415/1416 a short while back. It was a very, very nice little rifle that I'm sure you would be very happy with. Mine was in 22 WRM. On a whim I picked up a Krico in the same caliber and fired off quite a few boxes of shells comparing the two. In the end it was close but I ended up keeping the Krico. It pretty much shoots head to head with my Walther KKJ .22 at 50 yards. It's got an amazing trigger, and the fit and finish is great. I believe the model I have is the same as a weihrauch HW 66, just rebadged, but I am not positive. I'm not sure which of the companies actually builds it but Krico is definitely worth a look at.
Old 01-30-2021, 12:55 PM
Banned

Thanks guys...think I’ll get the Anschutz 😁
Old 01-30-2021, 05:13 PM

Sounds like no other advice is needed...but mine aligns with what's been posted so far=Anschutz. I have a couple of them, an older/youth-sized 1450 that was the first firearm I ever bought (30 years ago) and a Model 64 MPR TT I got from Nordic a few years back. The 1450 is on the "never sell" list (we all have one of those) and the 64 is a laser with the right ammo. I haven't found the 64 to like a wide variety of ammo, but feed it SK Rifle Match (about $10/50) and it's VERY easy to get remarkable results @ 50 yards. (in my opinion) I've even tested RWS50 in it, and it looked like the first 3 rounds went through the same hole. Basically, they did..but that ammo is $30/50. Haven't bought any since! lol

Before I saw you had an Anschutz/Steyr budget, I was going to suggest the Tikka T1x, 20" barrel. I bought one almost a year ago after selling-off a few lesser 22s to fund it...and I've NEVER owned a 22 that shot such a wide variety of ammo so well. I shoot allot of 22, and that's the only rifle I even considered taking out in my last few long shooting sessions of 2020.

Only criticism-I held/passed on T1x's so many times, because holding one...I simply do not see a $740 rifle (+ tax). It actually looks a bit cheap to me, but shooting one? I'm a believer. Suddenly...I find the rifle very handsome. lol

The Anschutz that makes me feel like I'm a great shooter! lol

Old 01-30-2021, 06:15 PM

Default Looking to upgrade

I have a Tikka TX1 with a 20” barrel and it shoots almost any type of ammo very, very, well.
Old 01-30-2021, 06:37 PM
Banned

I’ve looked at Tikka but never seen one with a wood stock...a must have 😀
Old 01-30-2021, 07:45 PM

I own an Anschutz 1416D heavy barrel with single stage trigger, so I'll add my thoughts.
First, it is quite accurate. For quite a while it was my most accurate 22, better than a couple of cz's and Brno's. The Anschutz has now been eclipsed by 2 guns, a Tikka T1x and Aussie version of the Cz452. There's not a lot of difference between any of my 22's, but my records show that the Anschutz is number 3.

The wood on the Anschutz is quite nice. It is the best looking 22 I own, sort of falling into the 'too cute to shoot' category. It only sees range use. The heavy barrel on my Anschutz is actually pretty light - I have zero issues shooting offhand.
The trigger breaks crisply at just over 2 lbs. Lots of info online on how to get it lower.

Ejection is a known issue with 1416 models. Mine would extract but rarely eject. Fired cases would routinely have to be picked out of the magazine area by hand. There's lots of info on this online. There are also instructions on how to take a file to the ejector to make it function properly. Google search something like ' rimfire central anschutz 1416 ejection failure' and you should get enough reading to keep you busy for a few hours. My 1416 now ejects reliably after filing the extractor, but you'd think that for the money these things cost they would function flawlessly.

Some people have had problems finding rings to fit. Google ' rimfire central anschutz 1416 scallops' to get the info. The issue is basically that the dovetail is rounded on top and not all rings have enough clearance. Talley sells a ring specifically for this issue.

I would take a Tikka over the Anschutz in a heartbeat, especially considering the price. But if wood stocks are your thing maybe look for a used T3x stock from a Hunter or Forest, the stocks are compatible.

Also, have you considered the Sako Finnfire ii. I don't have one but I know a guy that does and he raves about it. It has a wood stock and has good accuracy.
Old 01-30-2021, 09:33 PM

Quote:
I’ve looked at Tikka but never seen one with a wood stock...a must have 😀
I do believe any T3 wood stock fits the T1x as well.

Apparently I should have read BigSkys reply first lol
Old 01-31-2021, 06:41 AM

I know you said you already decided Anschutz, but one more vote for the Anschutz. You would be hard pressed to beat the Anschutz for quality, accuracy and long term performance. I have owned more expensive 22s and none of them would out shoot an Annie, even the 64 action models. If you are left handed, they are one of the last still making a left hand repeater.

Last edited by Dean2; 01-31-2021 at 07:04 AM.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:37 PM

Default Anschutz, then CZ-457

both at the top of the line 22 rifles, for accuracy and fit and finish.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:55 PM
Banned

There’s a vudoo on town post
Old 02-04-2021, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
There’s a vudoo on town post
For that kind of money you can get an Anschutz Supper Match or INTL Free rifle!
Cat
Old 02-05-2021, 08:40 AM

Same as others. I have several Anschutz 22 LR rifles. while none are the exact model you have I can't say enough good things about their quality and inherent accuracy.
Old 02-05-2021, 09:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
For that kind of money you can get an Anschutz Supper Match or INTL Free rifle!
Cat
Lol I agree
You would have to have more money than you know what to do with to buy a vudoo
Old 02-05-2021, 07:02 PM

Years ago I sold all my .22s and purchased a Cooper 57M Classic Sporter. Shoots superbly and looks great too. I have added a CZ American Sporter switch barrel and customized Ruger 10-22 Sporter (new Shilen barrel and Timney trigger). Still like my Cooper the best!
Old 02-06-2021, 03:42 AM

Default Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blockcaver View Post
Years ago I sold all my .22s and purchased a Cooper 57M Classic Sporter. Shoots superbly and looks great too. I have added a CZ American Sporter switch barrel and customized Ruger 10-22 Sporter (new Shilen barrel and Timney trigger). Still like my Cooper the best!
Had 2 Cooper rimfires, neither of them shot better than my CZ in the same caliber. This was back when many 452's were coming with really nice wood.
and at 2/3rd or more the cost , the Coopers were down the road
Old 02-06-2021, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
Had 2 Cooper rimfires, neither of them shot better than my CZ in the same caliber. This was back when many 452's were coming with really nice wood.

Have to agree, tried a LH Cooper in 22RF. Beautiful rifle, very well made, lovely wood, but would not shoot close to my Anschutzs. Great for hunting but not competitive as a target rifle. Even back when I bought it it was $2,500, which was double the price of a model 54 Anschutz. Today that gun sells for $5,500 and at that price I expect a gun to both look pretty and out shoot anything it comes up against.
Old 02-06-2021, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
My Coopers shot well, but not in the same class as my Anschutz match rifles, and certainly not in the same class as my Vudoo.
Old 02-06-2021, 08:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
My Coopers shot well, but not in the same class as my Anschutz match rifles, and certainly not in the same class as my Vudoo.
I was just bugging you about the vudoo
Rumour is the are awesome
Old 02-16-2021, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
You would have to have more money than you know what to do with to buy a vudoo
Some of it's the scope, but there is a reduced Vudoo on Gunpost right now for $7k.
Old 02-16-2021, 09:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Some of it's the scope, but there is a reduced Vudoo on Gunpost right now for $7k.
Ya I seen that one
I ordered a rimx to try
Old 02-16-2021, 09:47 AM

There's a decent little Weihrauch on CGN right now, should be very comparable to what you've been looking at. I see he's added a scope to the deal now, but last night it was rifle only for $950 shipped.

Last edited by Homesteader; 02-16-2021 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Wow, that is $1500 more than mine was new with scope mounted.
Old 02-16-2021, 11:49 AM

My son is looking to buy a CZ455 LUX combo 22mag/22LR. I've had a few CZ's never had one you could change barrels. Anybody have any experience with this deal? pro's con's?
Old 02-16-2021, 11:55 AM

Default duplicate post???

Old 02-16-2021, 12:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
My son is looking to buy a CZ455 LUX combo 22mag/22LR. I've had a few CZ's never had one you could change barrels. Anybody have any experience with this deal? pro's con's?
I went with the rimx because I’ll eventually have different barrels for it as well