Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-16-2021, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
My son is looking to buy a CZ455 LUX combo 22mag/22LR. I've had a few CZ's never had one you could change barrels. Anybody have any experience with this deal? pro's con's?

They work but you have to sight them back in every time you change barrels. My version, buy one of each and then it is ready to go as soon as you pick it up.
Old 02-16-2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
They work but you have to sight them back in every time you change barrels. My version, buy one of each and then it is ready to go as soon as you pick it up.
Exactly what I was thinking his plan is gophers in the summer coyotes in the winter.
Old 02-16-2021, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Exactly what I was thinking his plan is gophers in the summer coyotes in the winter.

I would buy the 22Rf for gophers then get a 204 or 223 in a 527 CZ for the yotes. Lot more versatile than the 22 Mag. If he wants a 527 I would move soon, none are being imported to here or the States now and I don't know if CZ has stopped production all together but that is the rumour on some other sites..
Old 02-20-2021, 05:19 PM

Like many, I started out shooting a bolt-action 22 then moved on to bigger and better things. Although just tightening up the precision of one of those is one path to take, you might want to consider two others.

One is to go the Ruger 10/22 autoloader route, starting with the very adjustable 'match' stock (if they make those anymore), then upgrading the trigger block, receiver, and bolt to Volquartsen. Add a 1-inch Shilen match barrel and a custom scope mount to hold a top end scope, and there's not much out there that can come close to it. The best results I got on targets was with Lapua but CCI was next best, with higher muzzle velo. The only problem seems to be the bolt waxing up in very cold weather. It's a bit of a chore breaking it down to clean it, but that's life.

But it's still a 22LR cartridge with fundamental limitations. Alternately, move up to the small 6 PPC, or 6BR Norma cartridge and then you might be able to do at 300 meters what you could do with at 50 on a good day with the 22LR. Dialing in the correct hand loads gives you a few more adjustments to tweak too, besides just choosing which brick to buy. Just getting a middle-of-the-road consumer action then adding some serious aftermarket parts and some tweaking allows you to get some very impressive precision. Or you could just jump into the deep end, and set up something starting with Bat, Barnard or Borden etc., fitting it with a high-end stock, etc etc. https://www.6mmbr.com/actions.html

That way, you can avoid chasing around configurations and parts that sort of, but not quite, get you to the results you want. It's also sometimes a tough call whether problems are because of the shooter or the equipment. If you start out with a solid high-end piece, the probability becomes very high that any problems are due to the way that you are using it. So you can concentrate on that instead of second-guessing your rifle or ammo.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Looking to upgrade my .22 (have Savage and Marlin bolts at the moment).
Have narrowed it down to these two...reviews positive on both. Wondering if anyone has actually shot them.
https://store.theshootingcentre.com/...3-walnut-rifle
https://www.nordicmarksman.com/Steyr...r-II-22lr.html
Any comments appreciated.
Both nice but for $1300.00 + you would think they would both have a hell of a lot nicer triggers guards than a cheap stamp steel one !!!
Old 02-20-2021, 10:06 PM

Anyone heard of the 5mm rimfire that was supposed to be coming?
Old 02-20-2021, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottt View Post
Anyone heard of the 5mm rimfire that was supposed to be coming?
Didn't Remington make a 5mm rimfire way back in the 80's ?