Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-16-2021, 03:05 PM

Default Choosing the right cast bullet size

I want to buy some cast bullets from Jet Bullets. I have a 444 Marlin Ballard riffling. He offers a 310gr RNFP gas checked with a Brinell hardness of 20. I can choose between .430-.431 and .432"
1) do I have to slug my barrel ?
or can I just go with .432
2) Do I still need to put these bullets through a sizing die?
Any ideas where a guy can buy casting equipment these days? everybody seems to be sold out of components.
Thanks
Old 02-16-2021, 03:31 PM

Bit of reading for you that shud help;

https://lbtmolds.com/Information/tab...1/Default.aspx

If you are on the south side of the border, you are probably in trouble for components, you'll need to be on product notification lists and hope that your name doesn't start with Z. Stuff can be had, don't have to buy inflated priced stuff, it will show up, and you'll have to be quick on it, and patient. Loading equipt isn't a lot better for availability than most components are, but it is better.
Old 02-16-2021, 05:27 PM

Great info! Thanks for the link.
Old 02-16-2021, 06:39 PM

Just noticed u are in Edmonchuck, my screen is magnified so it cuts that off.

LBT Blue is my favourite bullet lube for rifle bullets, he usually has a sprue lube as well that is worth having around, and his hardness tester is a really good one.

110v Pots seem a bit tough to come by right now, see lots of 220v , awesome if you have 220v avail. If an RCBS or Lyman 25lb bottom pour is affordable, go for it, run you 500.00 or so landed here. Lee work well, cheaper, but, they do drip, thay make a 20lb unit. 10lb pot sucks if you want to do big batches of bullets.

Some folk like to ladle, I don't. Buffalo Arms has some 115v temp controlled 20lb ladle pots in stk, run 450.00 or so landed. They are are a good outfit to deal with, keep custom 2 step expanders, various nefarious goodies for casting. I've bought stuff at Brownell's, Natchezz, Graf's, if it was on sale and they had it. Dragon Bullet lube in Ont has treated me well on ordering Lee stuff, he has Gator gas checks also.

Thermometer is well worth the loot as well, it just keeps things simple when waiting for things to heat up, and consistent.
Old 02-16-2021, 07:52 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but I think the OP was just asking if he needs to size and lube bullets that are already made from Jet Bullets, not looking to make his own.
As well what size to order
Old 02-16-2021, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but I think the OP was just asking if he needs to size and lube bullets that are already made from Jet Bullets, not looking to make his own.
As well what size to order
Exactly!
I would love to learn to cast my own, but for now that won't be possible.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:09 PM

You won’t need to lube or size his bullets yourself unless you order them without. If you ask nice maybe he will sell you a sampler of each size and you can see what shoots best.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerfan View Post
You won’t need to lube or size his bullets yourself unless you order them without. If you ask nice maybe he will sell you a sampler of each size and you can see what shoots best.
Outside of slugging your barrel, this is probably the best solution.

If you've been shooting jacketed bullets you may also want to give the barrel a good cleaning.

https://www.montanabulletworks.com/resources/secrets/
Old 02-17-2021, 09:49 AM

Once the gun is measured, OP shud be able to order the right sized bullet, as to the sizers themselves, I have a Lyman Lubesizer, they and RCBS use the same sizing dies, Star uses different ones. Also found that Buffalo Arms was usually the best for those, and the Lyman or custom 2-step M die expanders.
You can run them into a lubesizer just to lube w/o sizing, or just to size & lube or just to install gas checks with an appropriate sized die in it. I never seem to be able to find a Lee sizer that is the right size w/o ordering custom ones, and I find a lube sizer handier to use. You can hone Lee's out to size as well.
Even at that, cast is as hit and miss as any other load, getting a small batch to try at the one size and one that is a softer bullet, say a Lyman #2 blend, may be worth while, 20 is a pretty hard bullet, harder isn't always better.
Old 02-20-2021, 11:10 AM

Factory bullet diameter is .429 and all Marlin rifles were made to the SAAMI spec. You don't need to slug the bore to know that, unless it has 10,000 rounds down it and the bore is worn. If you had micro groove rifling there would be sense to using the .430 bullets but with Ballard rifling just buy the .432 and call it good. Lead slugs are better a hair big than a hair too small. I would bet big bucks you will never see a difference in group size between .431 and .432. You don't need to size them and they should already be lubed from Jet. Let us know how they shoot.