Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 05-05-2017, 09:01 AM
AO Sponsor

Default Horrifying Coyote Encounter: Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...rved-1.4099501

What is this world coming to?
Old 05-05-2017, 09:42 AM

Yup, although I suspect the city has a way to quietly deal with them.

I used to have coyotes running around on my street and back alley, could hear the mating calls in the nearby schoolyard... Until two of them followed my kids to school (my kids didn't notice the coyotes behind them). A teacher managed to shoo them off, but it required a fair amount of effort on his part.

Haven't seen coyotes in the area since...
Old 05-07-2017, 07:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
What do you mean? Habituation with all kinds of animals is taking place everywhere along with the attendant problems. Carry bear or dog spray, for all kinds of "coyotes". Dogs and deer are bad too.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:18 PM
AO Sponsor

Just simply...

Horrifying

I can't believe it... a kiyute attacks a dawg

They should have been friends instead
Old 05-07-2017, 09:08 PM
Banned

Guess I'm kind of slow and didn't think it was normal for a coyote to attack a dog that was with a person. I've never seen it unless it was a habituated animal?
Old 05-08-2017, 12:36 AM

Had a collie dog about 20 years ago. There wasn't a better way to get close to a yote at denning time than to go out with that dog. We were jogging down the road one day and had a yote come within about 40 yards trying to lure the dog.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:55 AM
Banned

Sounds like she needs to get rid of the Labradoodle & get a couple Greyhounds...

https://youtu.be/S6eNfTYCjpA

Old 05-08-2017, 05:40 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstone View Post
Guess I'm kind of slow and didn't think it was normal for a coyote to attack a dog that was with a person. I've never seen it unless it was a habituated animal?
Not normal but it will happen. Had a buddy's wife walk thier two wee dogs, yote scoops one up starts running away, she puts the one back down to save the other, yote spits out the one and picks up the other, she clue's in and hangs onto the one chases the yote who spits out the other, she scoops it up now has both little fur balls that were no bigger than a rabbit and makes her way back to her car with the yote in tow 10 yards behind.
Would have been something to see...when we get yotes like that around here they have a final resting spot...they luv my lab and I luv my little 6-284!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-08-2017, 10:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Not normal but it will happen. Had a buddy's wife walk thier two wee dogs, yote scoops one up starts running away, she puts the one back down to save the other, yote spits out the one and picks up the other, she clue's in and hangs onto the one chases the yote who spits out the other, she scoops it up now has both little fur balls that were no bigger than a rabbit and makes her way back to her car with the yote in tow 10 yards behind.
Would have been something to see...when we get yotes like that around here they have a final resting spot...they luv my lab and I luv my little 6-284!
Very strange. This was a normal coyote that had not been habituated to humans?

Using a dog for denning is very effective as long as the coyotes don't know you are around.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:54 PM
Banned

HUGE, 45 to 50 lb, scary coyotes in London, Ontario as well!

Police issue advisory after coyote pack spotted in north London

Residents near the wooded area northwest of Richmond Street and Western Road are being asked by police to keep pets on a leash and to travel with caution after a pack of coyotes were spotted Saturday along a walking path near the river.

Officers were called to the area in north London around 10:45 a.m. following a report of multiple coyote sightings, police said.

At the scene, officers located a woman who directed them to a walking path along the river. There, police located five to six coyotes with light white/grey fur travelling in a pack. The animals, weighing approximately 45 to 50 pounds, presented themselves aggressively and didn’t appear to be afraid of humans, police said.

“The London Police want the public to keep a lookout for similar animal activity in this area,” police said, adding that Animal Control has been made aware of the sighting.

No further information has been released.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3432513/po...-north-london/
Old 05-08-2017, 03:19 PM

Have had a few try to lure my lab up on Nose Hill Park.

I went home, called the media, and hid in my safe space for a while.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:40 PM
Banned

A strange sense of humor some people have? Kind of condescending.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:26 AM
Banned

Whats the big deal? It's not unussual at all to see a coyote in our Edmonton neighborhood. Sometimes they are more curious then normal, which can scare some people more then others. They do get used to living around people and the odd one loses his fear of people. Small pets do go missing from time to time however.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Whats the big deal? It's not unussual at all to see a coyote in our Edmonton neighborhood. Sometimes they are more curious then normal, which can scare some people more then others. They do get used to living around people and the odd one loses his fear of people. Small pets do go missing from time to time however.
Every time I see a coyote in the area a lost cat sign goes up on the community mailbox. Coincidence?
Old 05-09-2017, 10:36 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
A strange sense of humor some people have? Kind of condescending.
I think there's a couple guys on here that are definitely a little warped, however I fail to sense the humour on this thread. A most serious matter, I'm very glad that the media was on this one.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Every time I see a coyote in the area a lost cat sign goes up on the community mailbox. Coincidence?

Like this one?

Old 05-09-2017, 04:49 PM
Banned

Guess I completely mis interpreted your posts and another one or two. Smooth Marty.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Very strange. This was a normal coyote that had not been habituated to humans?

Using a dog for denning is very effective as long as the coyotes don't know you are around.
You would be surprised just how many live in or near a town, city etc...they are ver habituated to humans, some to the point they will pace you when out for a run, that has happened to me in Saskatchewan, jogged home, got the rifle, drove out of town, same draw/coulee...one loud rabbit distress and out he popped and down he flopped.
They all act different, some packs are very aggressive and other will bugger off at the sight of a vehicle...

Old 05-09-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
HUGE, 45 to 50 lb, scary coyotes in London, Ontario as well!

Police issue advisory after coyote pack spotted in north London

Residents near the wooded area northwest of Richmond Street and Western Road are being asked by police to keep pets on a leash and to travel with caution after a pack of coyotes were spotted Saturday along a walking path near the river.

Officers were called to the area in north London around 10:45 a.m. following a report of multiple coyote sightings, police said.

At the scene, officers located a woman who directed them to a walking path along the river. There, police located five to six coyotes with light white/grey fur travelling in a pack. The animals, weighing approximately 45 to 50 pounds, presented themselves aggressively and didn’t appear to be afraid of humans, police said.

“The London Police want the public to keep a lookout for similar animal activity in this area,” police said, adding that Animal Control has been made aware of the sighting.

No further information has been released.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3432513/po...-north-london/

And three feet at the shoulders! Ontario beware!

Old 05-09-2017, 05:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
You would be surprised just how many live in or near a town, city etc...they are ver habituated to humans, some to the point they will pace you when out for a run, that has happened to me in Saskatchewan, jogged home, got the rifle, drove out of town, same draw/coulee...one loud rabbit distress and out he popped and down he flopped.
They all act different, some packs are very aggressive and other will bugger off at the sight of a vehicle...
I am not surprised at all how brave coyotes can get and would have been very unnerved myself experiencing what the lady did. I think some of the posters were making fun of this coyote situation and there is nothing funny about it. There have been human fatalities and attacks and they are bound to continue. Not my idea of humour.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
It's common alright , we have had several encounters over the years .
There is a reason that we pack slugs with us when hunting birds over the dogs
Cat
Old 05-10-2017, 07:07 AM
AO Sponsor

It's a daily occurrence in the cities, hear the stories all the time. It's ridiculous that this got on the news. Coyote eats dawg... coyote eats cat. Then the silly thing, cityfolk are all against all this coyote trapping and management, politicians make certain that they have unmanaged coyote numbers in the cities, and so kiyute eats dawg, kiyute eats cat regularly.

Boo hoo
Old 05-10-2017, 07:12 AM

You should see the Uproar in town here when an old wolf comes into town in the winter and starts making off with pets on the running trails in town !!

Cat
Old 05-10-2017, 07:17 AM
Banned

Horrifying and Coyote should not be in the same sentence together lol.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Then the silly thing, cityfolk are all against all this coyote trapping and management
Yup, "Something should be done! ...but don't harm them!"
Old 05-10-2017, 05:37 PM
Banned

Wow! Common to attack bird dogs, happens alll the time in cities, should never make the news, packing slugs to protect yourself and dogs from coyotes. Politicians making sure there are "unmanaged" populations in the cities. I've lived with and dealt with coyotes all my life but you guys are really giving me an education. Must be good shots though using slugs in a confrontation when you have a shotgun in your hands. I've killed a half a dozen or so over the years with 6's and 2's are deadly even at forty to 50 yards.

Human safety, especially small children, is involved here and the problem should be taken seriously. But have fun!
Old 05-10-2017, 10:22 PM

The only plus side to this is the media reporting on this if they keep reporting these dangerous encounters the normal every day Henry and Martha Albertain might sway their opinion on coyotes. And it's not the antis that need the help seeing the world for what it is, it's the Henry and Martha's of the world. I hope CBC and all the new network's keep denouncing the coyote's predatory nature. That only helps. This is all in my own opinion feel free to debate.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
And three feet at the shoulders! Ontario beware!
The Easteen Coyote are no joke. Commonly called coywolf they are an honest 45 - 60lbs. There was an attack a few years ago in which a woman waa killed on nova scotia. Have also been a few other attacks on people that could of ended badly if not for some intervention. Because of that they take the threat serious back East.

Plus there are always genetic anomalies. I remember years ago walking my Belgian Shepherd in a bog close to Vancouver. That dog was a little over 2' at the shoulders and weighed about 55 lbs. Two Coyotes followed us at about 30 yards. Both would of had 6 inches minimum on that my mom's dof and probably 10 lbs.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:26 PM

I don't appreciate your sarcastic " know it all "remarks and yes we run into coyotes on a regular basis while hunting Pheasants
I also do not take chancy shots with birdshot when my dogs are in the way
I do not know where you get idea that we do not know anything about coyotes and carry slugs to protect ourselves from coyotes .
In fact I do not know why you even made that post
Cat
Old 05-10-2017, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I don't appreciate your sarcastic " know it all "remarks and yes we run into coyotes on a regular basis while hunting Pheasants
I also do not take chancy shots with birdshot when my dogs are in the way
I do not know where you get idea that we do not know anything about coyotes and carry slugs to protect ourselves from coyotes .
In fact I do not know why you even made that post
Cat
Thank you cat! I believe we know why if reviewing other posts. Bigstone still waiting for your survey sources on the "ban trophy hunting" thread. Likely see you ne t week under another name. Gn