Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-14-2011, 01:55 PM

Default Where to start?

I just moved to Alberta and living in the Calgary area. I would like start hunting big game next season(deer,moose or elk) and looking for a few tips on where to start(i.e. best rifle to buy, and any other gear that would be helpful). I'm relatively new to hunting but very eager to start learning. I started reading the regulations to try and learn, I guess I'm just looking for a bit of help. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:36 PM

Hi Jim,

Welcome to the long process of building your knowledge for this terrific sport! and welcome to the board!

I do not know HALF of what most members here have forgotten about hunting, but I can point you in the direction of good reference able knowledge.

For picking a caliber, compare the ballistics of several suggested sizes of ammunition for the animals you wish to target.
This can be done here: http://www.winchester.com/Pages/Home.aspx

Compare the muzzle velocities, and energy at impact versus the drop rate to get you started. Once you have a few in mind, compare the prices of each box of ammunition at your local retailer. Or you can just shoot a 30-06, and be good for all species here in Alberta - it is one of the most common rounds and can be found almost anywhere that sells ammunition.

Pick up a copy of the Alberta Hunting Regulations. Put one in your bathroom, truck and man cave, and read it cover to cover 100 times - at least. All the answers on what you can shoot, and when, are in there.

Use the search function in this board to search the information you are looking for. Chances are others have had the same questions you do, and there is already a thread about it. Search and find it instantly!

Get out and shoot! Practice, Practice, Practice! Get comfortable shooting your weapon, and you will be more confident when you are presented with the chance to pull the trigger on your animal target.

Lastly, and probably the best advice in my post: Get a subscription to Alberta Outdoorsmen Magazine!!

Good Luck - Be Safe - and Shoot to Kill, not to Thrill!
Old 01-14-2011, 02:40 PM

You have come to the right place. Just keep reading the threads on this board. In a couple months you will have read 30 threads all asking what the best gun to buy is LOL Also lots of other very valuable threads.

Read the regs as you are doing. I'd also suggest a read of the provincial Wildlife Act and federal Firearms Act. These acts are the basis on which a lot of the hunting regulations rest. Good to know them.

If you haven't already done so take your hunting and firearms courses through AHEIA (Alberta Hunter Education Instructors Assn) and then get your hunting licence and Posession and Acquisition Licence ("PAL", your licence to buy and own guns and buy ammo).

I woudln't buy ANYTHING for a while, until you have had time to absorb some of the info and advice here. Before you fret about recoil or buy a gun, ask members here if you can shoot different calibers. I GUARANTEE you that a number of people will offer to let you tag along to the range and shoot their rifles. DOn't guess, really SEE if the recoil from a 7mm Rem Mag is too much for you.

In the spring you can start cruising around, doing some scouting and when you find some likely places, ask the landowner for permission to hunt there in the fall. Don't leave this until the fall.

Others will expand on all these points, but I think this is a good start.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:12 PM

Welcome! First couple things you should do is get your Hunter's Education and your Possesion Accuquistion License. Then you should get your Wildlife Identification Number from https://www.albertarelm.com/

After that I would start reading the regulations, http://www.albertaregulations.ca/
At this website you can find hunting regulations and hunting draw regulations.

Then come around the middle of June I would log on to Alberta Relm and apply for special draws. These are very important if you want to get any special licenses.

Once you have you PAL, you can start looking a guns. A few major manufactuers are Ruger, Remington, Weatherby, Sako, Savage, Browning. Actually you can start looking/drooling over rifles now ha ha.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Hi Jim,

Welcome to the long process of building your knowledge for this terrific sport! and welcome to the board!

I do not know HALF of what most members here have forgotten about hunting, but I can point you in the direction of good reference able knowledge.

For picking a caliber, compare the ballistics of several suggested sizes of ammunition for the animals you wish to target.
This can be done here: http://www.winchester.com/Pages/Home.aspx

Compare the muzzle velocities, and energy at impact versus the drop rate to get you started. Once you have a few in mind, compare the prices of each box of ammunition at your local retailer. Or you can just shoot a 30-06, and be good for all species here in Alberta - it is one of the most common rounds and can be found almost anywhere that sells ammunition.

Pick up a copy of the Alberta Hunting Regulations. Put one in your bathroom, truck and man cave, and read it cover to cover 100 times - at least. All the answers on what you can shoot, and when, are in there.

Use the search function in this board to search the information you are looking for. Chances are others have had the same questions you do, and there is already a thread about it. Search and find it instantly!

Get out and shoot! Practice, Practice, Practice! Get comfortable shooting your weapon, and you will be more confident when you are presented with the chance to pull the trigger on your animal target.

Lastly, and probably the best advice in my post: Get a subscription to Alberta Outdoorsmen Magazine!!

Good Luck - Be Safe - and Shoot to Kill, not to Thrill!
sorry to hi-jack, but want to comment on the winchester ball. calculator. Great calculator but would be better if you can change inputs other than win. bullets. Understandable though...
Anybody know of other calculators on line that are similar but more options for inputs?
Old 01-14-2011, 07:32 PM

Disregard last post.\i'll start new thread. \sorry...
Old 01-15-2011, 03:38 PM

for a gun get a 270. or 303 etc. a good thing is start talking to landowners and read up on and get your licences