Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-15-2024, 10:31 AM

Default Dealing with car thieves

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2024/03/...oronto-police/
Old 03-15-2024, 11:27 AM

Yeah um nope not happening

I have this strange thing about not rolling over and playing dead. The only reason threats of violence from criminals work for most of society is they fear confrontation and do nothing.
Old 03-15-2024, 11:57 AM

What's next, just leave your keys in the vehicle for anyone to take? Anyone that breaks down my door while I am home, is not going to like the reception they receive. If they are smart, they will hear the dogs when they reach the door, and they will leave.
Old 03-15-2024, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
The only reason threats of violence from criminals work for most of society is they fear confrontation and do nothing.
Or they fear the repercussions of confronting - either retaliation by the criminal or death by legal process from the state.
Old 03-15-2024, 12:18 PM

The war on crime is over we lost
All cashiers will leave the tills open banks leave the money in easy take out bags
Old 03-15-2024, 12:27 PM

Invest in electric welcome mats.
https://youtu.be/fwAPbMgThlw?si=iMzjINXxeILxSIHM

Last edited by lmtada; 03-15-2024 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-15-2024, 12:36 PM

https://youtu.be/WgScNGPcUSA?si=yVaycqxgAY0cZlrE
This is pure stupidity!
Old 03-15-2024, 12:49 PM

The new way to police from Toronto PS

Blame the victim

Bill Blair taught them.

It's pathetic how their form of policing has deteriorated to this point.

A police officer who makes a statement as idiotic as this shouldnt be a police officer in the first place.
Old 03-15-2024, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Or they fear the repercussions of confronting - either retaliation by the criminal or death by legal process from the state.
Let’s just say I am wired a little differently when it comes to that issue. You still need to have realistic limits

I know the risks and so far they have been no issue. Not my first rodeo and results have been effective.
Old 03-15-2024, 01:30 PM

Wouldn't happen in Texas they have a better way to deal with thieves
Old 03-15-2024, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Let’s just say I am wired a little differently when it comes to that issue. You still need to have realistic limits

I know the risks and so far they have been no issue. Not my first rodeo and results have been effective.
Good to hear, Smoky. Realistic limits is the key, absolutely.
Old 03-15-2024, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Good to hear, Smoky. Realistic limits is the key, absolutely.
Yeah I know I am too old to kick in the door on a meth house with a hand full of buddies and politely explain to them why they need to move like I might have done 10-15 years ago

But still not wise to be found prowling my place or come through the door uninvited as that could lead to an unpleasant conversation

As I tell anyone who tries to sell me a security system “I have a size 13 that makes less noise than a alarm but responds faster than the local police station”

Yes there is a few officers who know my policy and understand off the record.
Old 03-15-2024, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Yeah I know I am too old to kick in the door on a meth house with a hand full of buddies and politely explain to them why they need to move like I might have done 10-15 years ago

But still not wise to be found prowling my place or come through the door uninvited as that could lead to an unpleasant conversation

As I tell anyone who tries to sell me a security system “I

have a size 13 that makes less noise than a alarm but
responds faster than the local police station
Yes there is a few officers who know my policy and understand off the record.
When they try to sell me an alarm system, I just tell them to listen to the barking, if they can hear it, then so can the thieves, and so can I. And unlike electronics they can't be bypassed.
Old 03-15-2024, 03:26 PM

If you live rural and confront the crook the crook is going to have already dialed 911 before he enters your property. He will hit the send button and call RCMP as soon as he sees you.
If you call Mounties it takes hours
Crook calls Mounties I'm sure police will be there in minutes to haul you off to jail and confiscate your guns. Crook on Street before you and you will get your day in court years down the road.
So seriously does anybody have a solution?
People will say have insurance. I wonder how this works with farmyard and tons of oldest stuff. How does insurance put a value on this stuff? Has it worked for any of you? I'm thinking insurance won't pay jack all if truck is old and gets stolen.
Old 03-15-2024, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
When they try to sell me an alarm system, I just tell them to listen to the barking, if they can hear it, then so can the thieves, and so can I. And unlike electronics they can't be bypassed.
Lol, alarm systems are a total joke, and criminal's know it. You can spend as much as you want, but in the end you are still relying on the police to actually do something... as this thread demonstrates, any plan involving the police is bound to disappoint.

The far more immediate threat of being torn to pieces by large dogs tends to be a far more effective deterrent in my experience.
Old 03-15-2024, 04:43 PM

Another first world problem..
Old 03-15-2024, 04:47 PM

After my truck was stolen 4 times and then recovered with lot of damage to the steering column ,I decided to just leave the keys in . Lol
The next two times it was stolen ,they still did not see the key and still destroyed the column . Lol Just cant win !
Old 03-15-2024, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
If you live rural and confront the crook the crook is going to have already dialed 911 before he enters your property. He will hit the send button and call RCMP as soon as he sees you.
If you call Mounties it takes hours
Crook calls Mounties I'm sure police will be there in minutes to haul you off to jail and confiscate your guns. Crook on Street before you and you will get your day in court years down the road.
So seriously does anybody have a solution?
People will say have insurance. I wonder how this works with farmyard and tons of oldest stuff. How does insurance put a value on this stuff? Has it worked for any of you? I'm thinking insurance won't pay jack all if truck is old and gets stolen.
My experience differs from what your post suggests. If you don’t think there is officers who are sick of the repeat offender and you are not taking into consideration of how frustrated some are with the catch and release system. They are people just like everyone else not programmed drones

I know a good number of people who are always really nice to prowlers, thrives and junkies. None have had these people call the cops or have had any issues with the cops

The main thing is watch what you say and don’t go overboard but also don’t call the cops

I have had plenty of conversations with off duty officers and not one is wanting to go after average citizens over a repeat offender
Old 03-15-2024, 07:32 PM

My future SON own a garage shop. Got 2 vehicles stolen right from the lot… One was drugged out and then hooked up to the tow truck that was also stolen according to the police… They didn’t care that the place was lit up at night like it’s a daylight and had cameras everywhere. Hoodies, face masks, glasses. Took them less than 3 minutes.
His buddy own a car lot, buys and sells cars. Last month he had two stolen vehicles purchased, one from the auction and one privately. Called the dealer to order part and was asked for a vin number, dealer couldn’t find this vin number. He finally found another spot on a frame with the original vin and right away car came as stolen…
Old 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM

Car thieves need to join Jimmy Hoffa.
Old 03-16-2024, 06:57 AM

The cars being stolen in this situation aren’t being stolen for the same reasons a car would have been stolen 20 years ago. These cars are being stolen to be stuffed in sea cans to be shipped overseas to be sold. Government needs to step in and do something at the ports (scan all sea cans, hold shipping companies accountable, etc). Fighting this at the individual car theft level is impossible. Same for cat converters, make it illegal to sell or install used cat converters. But we all know the guy running the show probably can’t figure out how to tie his shoe laces never mind do anything useful.

20 years ago a car was stolen most likely for a joy ride, to commit a crime, etc and then ditched.

End of day the legal system hasn’t changed much since it became. The criminals and the crimes they commit have adapted. There are zero consequences for repeatable offenders. Time to overhaul the criminal code.
Old 03-16-2024, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
The cars being stolen in this situation aren’t being stolen for the same reasons a car would have been stolen 20 years ago. These cars are being stolen to be stuffed in sea cans to be shipped overseas to be sold. Government needs to step in and do something at the ports (scan all sea cans, hold shipping companies accountable, etc). Fighting this at the individual car theft level is impossible. Same for cat converters, make it illegal to sell or install used cat converters. But we all know the guy running the show
probably can’t figure out how to tie his shoe laces never
mind do anything useful.
20 years ago a car was stolen most likely for a joy ride, to commit a crime, etc and then ditched.
End of day the legal system hasn’t changed much since it became. The criminals and the crimes they commit
have adapted. There are zero consequences for repeatable offenders. Time to overhaul the criminal
code.
Law enforcement/government could greatly reduce the over overseas market if they wanted to commit some resources to finding the stolen vehicles at the ports, but they seem more interested in telling people to leave their keys at the front door for the thieves.
Old 03-16-2024, 07:23 AM

being rural with fairly limited police coverage in the area i feel like the thief could just go missing . who even knows where to start looking , and who really cares if they're gone?
Old 03-16-2024, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
The cars being stolen in this situation aren’t being stolen for the same reasons a car would have been stolen 20 years ago. These cars are being stolen to be stuffed in sea cans to be shipped overseas to be sold. Government needs to step in and do something at the ports (scan all sea cans, hold shipping companies accountable, etc). Fighting this at the individual car theft level is impossible. Same for cat converters, make it illegal to sell or install used cat converters. But we all know the guy running the show probably can’t figure out how to tie his shoe laces never mind do anything useful.

End of day the legal system hasn’t changed much since it became. The criminals and the crimes they commit have adapted. There are zero consequences for repeatable offenders. Time to overhaul the criminal code.
The same issues have been around a long time if anything the number of organized criminals shipping stolen goods overseas has increased.

This is one of the downsides to high immigration a small portion of those coming here have criminal ties in their home countries giving them the ability to do things on an international level. They come here and are basically criminal importers or exporters because of the connection overseas

Watched this play out in the lower mainland growing up where it’s a major issue between the port and US border. Now add in the fact it was a hot spot for immigrants creating a mix of people with connections from all over it became a big issue with crime that fed international markets

The crazy thing is it’s not your typical gang members involved all the time. Some cultures just seem to have different values. It might be because they came from other countries where people are more likely to break the law because people struggle more.

Only thing that is a guarantee is larger diverse population and people struggling to get by often results in increased all levels of crime.
Old 03-16-2024, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Law enforcement/government could greatly reduce the over overseas market if they wanted to commit some resources to finding the stolen vehicles at the ports, but they seem more interested in telling people to leave their keys at the front door for the thieves.
Most of our good iron has already been shipped to central,south America and Africa.
I'm talking about really cool classic iron that is actually better than this new plastic stuff we are stuck with.
Government seems to just want to get rid of as much older cars as possible. I think at first it was about getting what they would call guzzlers off our roads but now your new battery plastic car that insurance writes off because someone touches it will end up over in Ukraine or someplace else.
People dont realize how much used or junked cars and heavy equipment we export.
Old 03-16-2024, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpete1 View Post
being rural with fairly limited police coverage in the area i feel like the thief could just go missing . who even knows where to start looking , and who really cares if they're gone?
Criminals carry cell phones and call police really fast for help.

RCMP miss some people more than others. I suspect you or I would not be missed
Old 03-16-2024, 07:42 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I read into it as a distraction, as the pos is fumbling around looking for the key you are loading. So they are giving you good advice

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-16-2024, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpete1 View Post
The authorities will put more effort and expense protecting the criminal that is robbing/attacking you, than they will spend protecting you and your property.
Old 03-16-2024, 07:52 AM

Following an American fishing forum and someone posted this article. I swear I could hear them laughing over the internet. Sure made "Canada" look funny in there eyes.

Dodger.
Old 03-16-2024, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I read into it as a distraction, as the pos is fumbling around looking for the key you are loading. So they are giving you good advice
Except this is Canada, if you are loading, because you intend to use a firearm, you become the criminal, and the thief becomes the victim, even if he was willing to harm/kill you, to get your vehicle. In Canada, you are supposed to run away or hide , and just leave your home and belongings to any thief with that wants to kick your door in. The next step, will be to tell us not to lock our doors, so the thieves don't hurt themselves breaking in.