Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-02-2017, 08:36 PM

Default Marijuana legal soon

I know that these types of discussions have become heated in the past and maybe have been beaten to death but I am curious about how many of you would consider growing your own marijuana in your home once it becomes legal? As we all know marijuana will be legal in July of 2018 and that includes growing 4 plants up to a height of 100cm each. So my question..and obviously some will not say but is their any interest here of people growing their own cannabis? For medical or recreational use. Please keep it civil fellas

Tom
Old 11-02-2017, 08:50 PM

WHAT -only 4 plants. And here ive got 20acres ready to seed in the spring.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:58 PM

Not a chance. What little control I have would be gone and I’d end up 300 pounds...

Plus, I’d still have that little work A&D test thingy issue... Just because show pony says it’s ok to smoke up doesn’t mean my employer would agree.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:09 PM

Been legal for some for a long time already

I’m a medical user and life is good,
I’ve personally seen it fight cancer, tumors , migraines n head aches & chronic pain.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:16 PM

4 plants and 100cm limit will only be regulated by the honour system.
The majority of legal grow ops exceed the number of plants on their licence now.
Criminals don't follow the rules now so they won't stick to the new ones.
I attended an ASIRT presentation on grow ops and you could not tell the difference between a legal grow op for personal use and an illegal grow op by the pics.

Not enough inspectors and no cooperation by Health Canada and LEOs.
I don't see a big change happening.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:41 PM
Banned

How many guys brew their own beer or their own wine?
Old 11-02-2017, 09:58 PM
Gone Hunting

I find it interesting that often in these discussions pot is compared to alcohol use and abuse. I've talked to some pot smokers and they are under the impression that when it is legalized that it will mean wide open smoke fest.

I don't think they have considered that it will be regulated like alcohol.

Age restrictions for access and use like tobacco and booze .

You can't have a beer while you are driving it will be the same for pot.

Can't walk down the street of sit on a playground bench and have a beer. It will be the same with pot.
It may be legal but there will a ton of laws to regulate and govern it.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-02-2017, 10:11 PM
Banned

If I recall correctly the height limit has gone through the system and has been kyboshed 😁

I won’t be growing becuase of my family here but I would be tempted if I could find that super potent skunk that came from Hawaii I got many of years ago. Tiny little buds that had a taste like nothing close to anything I’ve smoked and as potent as a king cobra. I’ve smoked a lot....I mean LOTS! and nothing has ever come close to that taste and potency. Maybe one day...it’s been quite a while since I’ve used any marijuana. I think I need to be mellowed out.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:26 PM

MauiWowi we used to call it....or paralyzer weed...

Might as well cancel whatever plans you’ve made after taking a couple tokes of it.

It was a long time ago but I still have to smile when thinking about it.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:15 AM

I used to like growing it, the smell of money was addicting, never cared much for the weed buzz though.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:24 AM

Not an ounce of medical proof for fighting actual cancer cells. Help with pain, nausea and appetite sure. But not Fighting cancer. Actually, unless your getting pot growing wild on a hillside in B.C. there are plenty of pesticides and fertilizers sprayed on it. But your licensed medical stuff may be different. Marrijuana has a place in medicine, but some folks claim it cures cancer, and that has made some folks stray from conventional treatment, and that will cost you your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPackHunter View Post
Been legal for some for a long time already

I’m a medical user and life is good,
I’ve personally seen it fight cancer, tumors , migraines n head aches & chronic pain.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:51 AM

And all those “struggling to join the middle class” (JT) will at least be relaxed while doing so Meanwhile, those of us in construction and trucking will still be trying to hire someone who can dig a straight ditch, or at least not fall in said ditch with the loader.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:02 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Time to buy shares in pizza joints...and chips too....Canada's going to get the munchies...big time.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-03-2017, 07:37 AM

I cant wait
Old 11-03-2017, 07:51 AM

Hell yeah why not, misewell take advantage of what the government ALLOWS us to get away with lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2017, 09:09 AM

Thought I read somewhere that it will have to be grown inside. For me that'd be a deal breaker. I don't mind weed but I wouldn't want to live in a house permeated with that smell. Its pretty potent when its mature.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Not an ounce of medical proof for fighting actual cancer cells. Help with pain, nausea and appetite sure. But not Fighting cancer. Actually, unless your getting pot growing wild on a hillside in B.C. there are plenty of pesticides and fertilizers sprayed on it. But your licensed medical stuff may be different. Marrijuana has a place in medicine, but some folks claim it cures cancer, and that has made some folks stray from conventional treatment, and that will cost you your life.
The LPs have more garage in them then the Black market
I have someone taking care of me, and are licensed to produce for me .
I know what goes into it from day 1 . I then render it into a pill, but still smoke too.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:20 AM

Default Prince happy socks can't speed up the Red chamber

Speaking of grumpy old men shaking their canes.

Senate could hold up government's pot bill beyond July deadline

Justin Trudeau's Liberal government plans to make recreational pot legal in Canada by July, but there may be one significant challenge to that timeline: the Senate.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/sena...elay-1.4385619

Still might be Justin's campaign promise for 2019
Old 11-03-2017, 09:43 AM

Default How much will the gov't make?

I've heard that the states that have legalized the sale of this stuff have made millions. I'd like that.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:44 AM
Banned

Everything mentioned so far is already going on. People smoke on park benches, they grow their own, they pretty much all drive high and smoke while driving. So many people think the flood gates are going to open, hogwash. The people who want to smoke already do and you can literally find it in an hour if you look. There will be some who will do it because they used to but didn't want a criminal record. By and large there is not going to be a noticeable change except for more court time for real issues. Better that we keep diversifying our economy and generating more tax dollars
Old 11-03-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger1 View Post
Meanwhile, those of us in construction and trucking will still be trying to hire someone who can dig a straight ditch, or at least not fall in said ditch with the loader.
*sigh* Yup.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:26 AM
Banned

I'm all for legalisation frick the way I see it of you are an adult and want to Snort Ajax then have at it. What I find funny is all the concern about being able to hire good people or being worried about stoners running amok. If you don't think drug use isnt rampant in the trades and construction you're delusional. Here's the thing though most guys that drink smoke or Snort do it on their own time. Sure you get the odd waste case looser but they would be that way regardless of the legality of their chosen vice.

Back to growing. You bet I will. I got a greenhouse that was filled with enough tomato and pepper plants I could supply half of Mexico with salsa. I'm sure I can find a spot or two for a couple pots filled with the devils lettuce.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:31 AM
Banned

Once it's legalized, I think more people will be apt to try it - especially in a medicinal sense. My mother is dead set against it at the moment, but it's all about the stigma that's been generated due to it being "illegal". She knows she can get a license, but won't. But once it's legalized, and people around her try it - I dare say she will.

Wouldn't mind trying to grow it, but big ol black thumb here. Sometimes forget to water the dog, average house plant has the life span of a week or two here.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:32 AM

I don't have any moral objections to marijuana use, but I don't use it now, and I have no plans to change once it is legal. I'll just continue to abuse alcohol. LOL
Old 11-03-2017, 06:08 PM

I would probably grow a few plants. Nothing quite as good as home grown anythi g really, my woman and I grow all kinds of stuff already, pot would probably be interesting to try. It is like a tomato, weed like and easy to manipulate
Old 11-03-2017, 09:00 PM
Banned

The things parents tell their children, lol
My dad always told me he has never tried marijuana and never would. Absolutely and downright nasty about it and me using it.
Anyways, I was smoking with a bar owner one night and he was good friends with my dad many of decades ago. Turns out old dad used to love his reefer
Old 11-04-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
but some folks claim it cures cancer, and that has made some folks stray from conventional treatment, and that will cost you your life.
I for one do not think it cures anything but does help manage some symptoms. For me the medical stuff helps with chronic pain and insomnia.
For me the pain is managed better than prescription pain killers which also do not cure anything and there seem to be less unpleasant side effects. A couple drops of THC in the evening
make me more relaxed and comfortable at night so I get better rest.

I am not interested in growing as long as I can get usable product in the mail.

I think that those who wish to grow their own for their own use and that of their family should be allowed more than 4 plants but I have no idea what size a grow op should be restricted to.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:39 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendrake View Post
Everything mentioned so far is already going on. People smoke on park benches, they grow their own, they pretty much all drive high and smoke while driving. So many people think the flood gates are going to open, hogwash. The people who want to smoke already do and you can literally find it in an hour if you look. There will be some who will do it because they used to but didn't want a criminal record. By and large there is not going to be a noticeable change except for more court time for real issues. Better that we keep diversifying our economy and generating more tax dollars
So the law should be applied the same for alcohol since pot promoters seem to compare the two

Matter of fact people speed and that illegal and steal, and why not just legalize everything since people are doing it anyway

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-04-2017, 01:46 PM

Not personally interested in trying it. I agree with legalization and with the 4 plant limit, it is there to control problems with large grow ops and especially hydroponics ex electricity theft and mold.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:30 PM

I've looked into this and looks to be more trouble than it's worth. You need inspections, a bunch of gear and a green thumb for 4 plants. No thanks. Not to mention I don't think the wife would be onboard. I'll just continue to order from providers