Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-04-2009, 10:48 AM
Banned

Default Wolves in Calgary??

Ok.. I have been hesitant to mention this BUT on Thursday night at about 5 pm we were in our Kitchen makeing dinner when all of a sudden a large Grey wolf ran though the Shawnee Gold Course. It was moving but we managed to see him for approx 100 feet at a distance of 20-30 yards. He then turned around and headed out straight away from us. I was just STUNNED to see that. Anyone else seen wolves around Calgary, let alone in side the limits?

We are about 3 Blocks from Fish Creek PP. I would guess that is where he came from.

No I wasent Drunk, High or Tired. This was also seen by my wife and kids.
I grabbed the camera, but he never came back.

Jamie
Old 04-04-2009, 11:00 AM

very cool , there is lots of Black bear sightings down that way so why not wolves too .I know they follow the bow river valley , I've just never seen them outside the mountains
Old 04-04-2009, 11:09 AM

We have seen wolves in E-town in the river valley ....cougars too ( not the ones with leather pants and too much make-up ) the River valley is like a giant game trail.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:47 PM

Default Hahaha

HAHAAHAHAHAHA

Kanon you cracked me up!!!!!
Old 04-04-2009, 01:51 PM

Sorry Jamie, We all have seen some of the pictures you have taken in the past. Still wouldn't be able to identify what you thought you seen by one of your photos.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:11 PM

Very Unlikely (no offense) but not impossible. Fish Creek is hardly an empty path from the mountains/wilderness.

You could (could have) document its tracks and possible scat. I would put my money on it being either a fat from gophers, Yote, or dog. I'd bet it would have been a Wolf-hound, before a wild Wolf. They're not known for wandering near Cities, and I honestly cant see a Wolf tolerate noisy areas, cross highway after highway, and head straight towards a hostile, smog smelling city.

Wolf-hounds are notorious for escaping and wandering until their either hit or killed. With that said, 'wild wolves' are hit on highways in the states so its not like claiming you seen Big-Foot.

Have you seen a Sasquatch also? lol, just kiddn
Old 04-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipbobber View Post
Sorry Jamie, We all have seen some of the pictures you have taken in the past. Still wouldn't be able to identify what you thought you seen by one of your photos.
One bad year... LOLOLOLOL

I have GREAT photos as well. Just not this year.. Nothing but bad luck

Jamie
Old 04-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh View Post
Very Unlikely (no offense) but not impossible. Fish Creek is hardly an empty path from the mountains/wilderness.

You could (could have) document its tracks and possible scat. I would put my money on it being either a fat from gophers, Yote, or dog. I'd bet it would have been a Wolf-hound, before a wild Wolf. They're not known for wandering near Cities, and I honestly cant see a Wolf tolerate noisy areas, cross highway after highway, and head straight towards a hostile, smog smelling city.

Wolf-hounds are notorious for escaping and wandering until their either hit or killed. With that said, 'wild wolves' are hit on highways in the states so its not like claiming you seen Big-Foot.

Play Doh. I cant get easy access to the Golf Couse. Our fence is about 30 feet high. I really doubted myself as well. But after thinking about it I know what we saw was a wolf of some sort.

No Sasquatch... YET!!
We see Tons of wildlife on this golf course, Lots of MD, a Moose, TONS of Yotes and the odd Whitetail. Oh and GEESE GEESE GEESE.
I remember wakeing up at 3 am 2 years ago and looking out my window only to see a Yote starring back at me.. Kinda spooky that I woke up at that exact instance.

Jamie
Old 04-04-2009, 03:03 PM

I believe you, Jamie. Tons of stuff comes through Fish Creek. I've herd rumors of them the odd time out in Bearspaw, and I've run into them near the Sibbald range in the Jumpingpound forest. Personally, I have run into cougars face to face upstream of the Valley Ridge golf course while fishing. Hell, the COP bike trails were closed down last year for a bit due to a cat being spotted. The critters are here. Now if could only train them to hunt gangs, then we'd be all set!

Tree
Old 04-04-2009, 03:46 PM

could very well be.. 4 years ago now the fish and game plus the EPS treed a cougar 2 blocks from my aunts place here in Edmonton just off of 149 st and 110 ave. and last year a small black bear down by the Dawson bridge on the golf course. hell any thing is possible
Old 04-04-2009, 07:03 PM

My friend and I found wolf tracks just this past hunting season west of Millarville. I took a couple of pics that didn't turn out too great being low light and in the snow, but they were approx. 4" across and claw impression was visible so they weren't from a cougar.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:00 AM

Default Wolfs

NOW , thats why you always keep the old 250 on the kitchen counter .

Just in case ...

There is the largest yote , I have ever seen living in that park ,

I would say 50 lbs plus , dwarfs the other ones ., might be a hybrid

of some kind , dark face and front quarters .

Not too people shy either , If Bears and moose can come in from the west

along fish creek why not wolves ....

W 101
Old 04-05-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
NOW , thats why you always keep the old 250 on the kitchen counter .

Just in case ...

There is the largest yote , I have ever seen living in that park ,

I would say 50 lbs plus , dwarfs the other ones ., might be a hybrid

of some kind , dark face and front quarters .

Not too people shy either , If Bears and moose can come in from the west

along fish creek why not wolves ....

W 101
I'm a sceptic. I remember the case of the llady in the Calgary burbs, who spotted a cougar. Turned out, it was a house cat.
Grizz
Old 04-05-2009, 09:16 AM

2 or 3 years back I could have swore that I seen one along the river by Deerfoot Meadows. I later thought that it must have been a big Coyote. It bugged me for a few days that something just wasn't right. 4 or 5 days later I seen it again and I swear to this day that it was a wolf.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:59 PM

i remember when i first moved into my home in the evergreen area

me and my mom where walking past some house that were being built up
(we were on the first ones)

anyway i looked off into fish creek and on all fours in the middle of a pathway was this huge animal

it was black with a german shepard build but it was easly 2.5 ft from the ground and its head was massive

anyway there's my story of a vicious creature that could have took my life

Old 04-05-2009, 02:02 PM

You must be a Wolf-Magnet, lol. Or the Wolfman. Have you woken up naked in the woods? 8-)

I'm probably more hopeful that Wolves aren't getting less wary of us, but wandering lonewolves have a much better chance of ending up in someones backyard now a days.

You might consider telling F&W, if you haven't.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:34 PM

Jamie, I thought I was the only one who seen a wolves near the city, so I believe you. Actually I'm trying to get a good photo of one that's right by my house, a mile west of the city. I mean its not impossible. I remember when the shot those two cougars in edgemont.Everyone thought i was nuts when i told people i seen a cougar run infront of garage one night as i was trying to park.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh View Post

Just couldn't help myself. LOL

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_county_...sp?state=ca-al

Cheers
Old 04-05-2009, 06:59 PM
Banned

I have no trouble believing that what-so-ever. I've seen both species of deer, Moose, Elk, Black Bears, Yotes and Cougars inside city limits, its no stretch at all to imagine a Wolf wandering in.

I'm surprised to hear of one right in the city itself like that, but I sure as heck believe it.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:52 PM

Glad to hear my wolfsuit camo works well.

My employer lives in bearspaw and they have had wolves there more then on the odd occasion. There was actually a reward going for a little while maybe a yr ago. According to F and W we get the odd grizz even passing under our noses through Fish creek.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:55 AM

Thumbs up Wolves in calgary and surrounding area....

This note reply is for Jamie who saw a grey wolf. I just wanted to let you know that we live in Langdon, on the golf course and 3 weeks ago we were sitting out on our back patio and low and behold, what did we see....a very large grey wolf! As we looked on in disbelief, so were a couple of golfers which of whom were no more than 50 feet from the wolves path and it completely ignored the golfers and ran through the middle of a fairway. IT ran too quickly for us run for the video camera, by the time we had the video camera in our hands the wolf was gone, but a wolf it was. Not a large dog, not a small coyote...a wolf. We have lived here for three years now and this is the first time I have seen a wolf near the golf course, let alone the 20 years we've lived outside of Calgary and have never seen one before. However my husband and I have both seen wolves before and know what they look like and this was definitely a wolf. So for all of you people who laugh and doubt Jamie, know that anything is possible, especially when man takes more and more of their land every year. It's actually very narrow minds that would doubt a wolf siting. We have 20/20 vision and common sense and a wolf it was! For those of you who doubt it, do you see a smily icon behind the sofa here , well that's how clear it was!!
Old 08-21-2011, 11:08 AM

They're getting around. Think it has less to do with taking their land, than increased numbers and adaptability.

http://www.drumhelleronline.com/inde...2877&Itemid=66

Grizz
Old 08-21-2011, 11:17 AM

Default Wolves in Calgary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine0 View Post
This note reply is for Jamie who saw a grey wolf. I just wanted to let you know that we live in Langdon, on the golf course and 3 weeks ago we were sitting out on our back patio and low and behold, what did we see....a very large grey wolf! As we looked on in disbelief, so were a couple of golfers which of whom were no more than 50 feet from the wolves path and it completely ignored the golfers and ran through the middle of a fairway. IT ran too quickly for us run for the video camera, by the time we had the video camera in our hands the wolf was gone, but a wolf it was. Not a large dog, not a small coyote...a wolf. We have lived here for three years now and this is the first time I have seen a wolf near the golf course, let alone the 20 years we've lived outside of Calgary and have never seen one before. However my husband and I have both seen wolves before and know what they look like and this was definitely a wolf. So for all of you people who laugh and doubt Jamie, know that anything is possible, especially when man takes more and more of their land every year. It's actually very narrow minds that would doubt a wolf siting. We have 20/20 vision and common sense and a wolf it was! For those of you who doubt it, do you see a smily icon behind the sofa here , well that's how clear it was!!
What sofa???????
Old 08-21-2011, 11:31 AM

Im out NE of Edmonton by the dump area. Ive seen some really big yote out that way. Some say they are cross breeding with big dogs. Actually i did a double take the other day. Saw what i thought was a huge dog hanging with a couple of yotes.

The dogs and the yotes used to be enemies when i was a kid. One yote would come in and get the dogs to chase him right into the pack waiting for them. You knew you had a good smart dog if he was around in the morning.

There not scared anymore either. Ive been doing something outside and turned to see a yote standing 25ft behind me just watching,there nosey buggers.

Anyway i would not doubt wolves being around or big cats. Make sure you throw stuff(rocks etc.) at them and make noise,we need to keep them scared of us.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine0 View Post
So for all of you people who laugh and doubt Jamie, know that anything is possible, especially when man takes more and more of their land every year
Their land? Though we all crawled out of the muck around the same time and the earth belonged to all of us. Lets not get to carried away with the man bad nature good mantra. I haven't forfeit my place in the ecosystem yet.

Not surprised about wolves in Calgary lots of deer to eat and when they run short there is lots of alternative prey, coyotes, cats , dogs and little kids.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
what i thought was a huge dog hanging with a couple of yotes.

The dogs and the yotes used to be enemies when i was a kid. One yote would come in and get the dogs to chase him right into the pack waiting for them. You knew you had a good smart dog if he was around in the morning.

There not scared anymore either. Ive been doing something outside and turned to see a yote standing 25ft behind me just watching,there nosey buggers
A growing concern is wolf/yote/hybrids larger and larger yotes with no fear of urban areas. good read about them on this site.

http://hal_macgregor.tripod.com/kennel/Anatomy.htm

I've encountered wolves out by Scott Lake Hill...almost smoked one with the bus one night in June. Wouldn't have been good...new on the job and new equipment glad I missed it. Think the boss would of hung me if I'd pranged the new ride. Wolf sure was a big bugger!

Came close to hitting a coyote on Stoney Trail one night too...lots of predators about at night. Unusual to see a wolf in the day time in the city.

We may see more, sure are a lot of deer around the city. Saw 3 road kills coming into the city the other day. Watch the roads at night the deer are thick. Maybe we have a few wolves trying to reduce the numbers. Some farmers are shy about giving permission, they need to remember that if prey density rise wolves usually follow.

Last edited by uglyelk; 08-21-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:04 PM

FYI...on friday a walker spotted what she believed to be a cougar in a small area of bush, near a school in north Red Deer. authorities were not able to confirm the sighting and no signs or warnings were posted in the area other than a quick blurb in the local newspaper. looked like great area for a lion to hang out for a while as the constant flow of house cats into the bush would be like fast food....lol

if a bird dog gets birdy when it smells game what does a cat hound do...get catty?
Old 08-21-2011, 03:45 PM

I wouldn't doubt the possibilities of a wolf in Calgary. Ousted males can range large distances, and if hostile inhabitants west of town put the chase on, the city could be a good refuge. All the tame deer/geese/rabbits would be another good reason to go exploring.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyelk View Post
A growing concern is wolf/yote/hybrids larger and larger yotes with no fear of urban areas. good read about them on this site.

http://hal_macgregor.tripod.com/kennel/Anatomy.htm

I've encountered wolves out by Scott Lake Hill...almost smoked one with the bus one night in June. Wouldn't have been good...new on the job and new equipment glad I missed it. Think the boss would of hung me if I'd pranged the new ride. Wolf sure was a big bugger!

Came close to hitting a coyote on Stoney Trail one night too...lots of predators about at night. Unusual to see a wolf in the day time in the city.

We may see more, sure are a lot of deer around the city. Saw 3 road kills coming into the city the other day. Watch the roads at night the deer are thick. Maybe we have a few wolves trying to reduce the numbers. Some farmers are shy about giving permission, they need to remember that if prey density rise wolves usually follow.
That article is a very interesting read.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:30 PM

I have seen them out east of the Sibbald range in the slough. I know an ex-landowner out there who shot 3 on the south end of Hermitage Rd. He got the skulls done with bugs.