Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2016, 04:30 PM

Default Hand, foot and mouth disease

So my son just started daycare about three weeks ago and on the second day he had blisters on his feet. Took him to the doctor and the prognosis was hand, foot and mouth disease and the only thing we could give him was children's painkillers. He made it through like a trooper, now fast forward to Thursday. I came home from work with a fever and now this morning I wake up with blisters everywhere. Has anyone else had this before? And any home remedies that actually work to speed up the healing process?
Old 02-27-2016, 05:14 PM

HFMD is a viral disease so there is nothing you can do to rid of it or speed up the process. You can manage discomfort with ibuprofen or acetaminophen, sucking on ice cubes for mouth ulcers, no spicy or acidic foods. Wash your hands, cover your mouth when you cough etc. Pretty much need to wait it out.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:38 PM
Banned

My Daughter got it this year and she's 24 years old. The Doctor told her that he's seen more of it in people this year for some reason. Getting passed from person to person and making the rounds I guess.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:45 PM

My daughter had it when she was 3ish. Had in throat and mouth. Went away fairly quick. Gave her some liquid to swallow at the ER. Best of luck
Old 02-27-2016, 06:48 PM

That's what I thought, only time will help. The wife is now starting to get sore hands and feet. she with have the thermometer on her at all times because there is a risk if she gets to high of a fever in her first trimester there could be a risk to the baby. The weird thing is no other child at daycare has has any symptoms, so we aren't sure how he picked it up.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugs29 View Post
So my son just started daycare about three weeks ago and on the second day he had blisters on his feet. Took him to the doctor and the prognosis was hand, foot and mouth disease and the only thing we could give him was children's painkillers. He made it through like a trooper, now fast forward to Thursday. I came home from work with a fever and now this morning I wake up with blisters everywhere. Has anyone else had this before? And any home remedies that actually work to speed up the healing process?
My son got it twice. I never showed symptoms nor did my wife which can mean I did not have it, or did but was symptom free.

Nasty and I sure did feel for him. Helped him kick his pacifier habit though. Blisters on the tongue.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
That's what I thought, only time will help. The wife is now starting to get sore hands and feet. she with have the thermometer on her at all times because there is a risk if she gets to high of a fever in her first trimester there could be a risk to the baby. The weird thing is no other child at daycare has has any symptoms, so we aren't sure how he picked it up.
Adults can carry but not show symptoms. My boy got it from a daycare too.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:07 PM

Buddy caught it when his kids did. Pretty aweful.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-27-2016, 11:11 PM

Had it a few years ago. Kicked the sh!t out of me. Never been that sick before. Done for a week.

Went to doctor and told me rare for adults to get.

My daughter was slightly sick. Looked worse than what she experienced.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:19 PM

Quote:
My wife was pregnant with our 2nd at same time. She never got or had any issues. Our oldest wouldn't leave her side when sick.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twist View Post
Adults can carry but not show symptoms. My boy got it from a daycare too.
Man I wish my wife didn't have symptoms, she finally got to sleep around 3 am last night, the kids slushie machine is getting a workout in our house. Didn't think apple juice would make a great slush.