Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2011, 08:05 PM

I'd be really sceptical that any wolf would wander right down an urban golf course. Regardless of whether it is adjoining Fish Creek park or not. It's not even likely that one would see a wolf near the city whatsoever. Ya, I've seen some as close as Sibbald, but that's still 50+km away from the city boundary and that makes a big difference.

Wolves have huge ranges and normally stick with their family unit. It's not like one would just take a wander 50+km off the beaten track for a fun afternoon.

Could it be a coyote/dog hybrid? Big coyote? Absolutely, and these two ideas are WAY more likely than a wolf on Shawnee.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:21 PM

This suckers getting lots of attention for a 2 year old thread
Old 08-21-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
I'd be really sceptical that any wolf would wander right down an urban golf course. Regardless of whether it is adjoining Fish Creek park or not. It's not even likely that one would see a wolf near the city whatsoever. Ya, I've seen some as close as Sibbald, but that's still 50+km away from the city boundary and that makes a big difference.

Wolves have huge ranges and normally stick with their family unit. It's not like one would just take a wander 50+km off the beaten track for a fun afternoon.

Could it be a coyote/dog hybrid? Big coyote? Absolutely, and these two ideas are WAY more likely than a wolf on Shawnee.
Maybe Alberta wolves are different but a 50K jaunt for a BC wolf is nothing.Last year a collared wolf was hit by a semi in Malakwa,a small community on the #1 just east of Sicamous.It was collared 6 months earlier over 300k away in the North Thompson area.Males dispersing from a pack can go a long way and a watershed is an obvious travel route. Monashee
Old 08-21-2011, 09:01 PM

I shot a coyote east of Okotoks, just south of the bow river about a mile. This was about 20 years ago. Never got it weighed, but skinned out it was over 8 ft. long from tip to tip. I've gotta photo of it somewhere in a box.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finsnfeathers View Post
I shot a coyote east of Okotoks, just south of the bow river about a mile. This was about 20 years ago. Never got it weighed, but skinned out it was over 8 ft. long from tip to tip. I've gotta photo of it somewhere in a box.
pretty thin skin after all that stretching.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:42 PM

This pic from March 2010 is of three wolves, the bitch and two young ones. The Alpha male of this pack was shot earlier during the winter.

These wolves are 900 yards from the 37st pathway at 90ave sw on the Tsuu T'ina nation. This land is where the proposed Ring Road will be. The wolves were hunting a herd of free range horses, and ended up killing all four yearlings and five colts in the herd over the period of a month.

I had all four of them come to within 15 yards of me in some very thick willows while rattling for whitetails in November of 09. They came in from behind, and were faster than me when our eyes met.

A big male Grizzly was also inhabiting this area in 09. He would occassionally go into Weaslehead at night. Unfortunatley this guy met his end on a doorstep.

We "remove" close to a dozen cougars out of this area every year. Consider it being neighborly.

Cougars and Grizzly Bears and Wolves in Calgary, Oh my, and Oh Yes.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winged1 View Post
pretty thin skin after all that stretching.
I skin and freeze, let the pelt experts do the stretching.....but if you have doubts...put your money where your mouth is...and i'll go scan the photo...???
Old 08-22-2011, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finsnfeathers View Post
I skin and freeze, let the pelt experts do the stretching.....but if you have doubts...put your money where your mouth is...and i'll go scan the photo...???
I would have thought you'd have the decency to 'put your photo where you mouth is', to substantiate this long tail, but I can now see that your far to good for that, my bad.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:49 AM

2 or 3 yrs olds could quite easily venture to the area Walking Buffalo 's pic shows in search of a new area to establish or join a pack. Kids used to ride horses from Springbank (85th) to Sibbald/Hermitage rd. It isn't all that far as the crow flies to jump 22 and go across the Reserve.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:16 AM

This morning I pulled upto work and there was a damn yote walking down the sidewalk. When I got out of my car he looked me in the eyes and hesitated for a moment then crossed the road and continued down the other sidewalk.

Talk about brazen.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:20 AM

While bird'n about 15 years ago near the Mag-Can plant in High River my Dad and I flushed what I thought was a really large 'yote out of the brush along the river. It did not have the gate of a 'yote though . We had a really good look at it from a distance of about 100 yds or so as it loped by. Could have been a 'yote-dog hybrid I suppose but it sure had the tell tale gate of a wolf. I estimated the weight at about 80-100 lbs.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:30 PM

Default Wolf in Calgary

I was driving down 37th st sw south of 130ave today and I am 95% positive that I saw a white wolf standing just in the tree line on the west side of the road. It could've been a hybrid but it was unmistakable as a wolf. I tried to get a picture of it as I drove by but it turned out to be too far for my phone and when you zoom in for a closer look it goes too blurry and could be anything.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
My friend and I found wolf tracks just this past hunting season west of Millarville. I took a couple of pics that didn't turn out too great being low light and in the snow, but they were approx. 4" across and claw impression was visible so they weren't from a cougar.
Ditto. I found the tracks of a pack of at least 5 when I was out there grouse hunting; also had one run right across the road in front of me just South of McLean Pond. I don't doubt that they're on the reserve; and they just have to follow the creek into FCPP. Lots of muleys in there -- they come up and feed in my front yard.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 02-25-2016, 07:42 PM

Proof people do use the search function. A 2009 thread resurrected in 2011 and again in 2016. Good to see. (Not joking)

But back to the topic at hand. I would be amazed if there wasn't wolves in Calgary. They are huge packs in the foothills and they are expanding. Look at the Grizzly sightings. Now think that wolves are more adept at surviving in a city they are there.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:53 PM

Chupacabra's have been moving north lately.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:01 PM
Banned

Cool to see from a distance but concerning if children frequent the area, these aren't Bob cats. Thank you for sharing
Old 02-25-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkslayer132 View Post
Chupacabra's have been moving north lately.
Touche!

In the river valley in Edmonton, it's interesting to chat with EPS helicopter pilots about what they've seen on the FLIR. Apparently it's amazing the amount and diversity or wildlife that can be seen at night.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmon Slayer Lenny View Post
Touche!

In the river valley in Edmonton, it's interesting to chat with EPS helicopter pilots about what they've seen on the FLIR. Apparently it's amazing the amount and diversity or wildlife that can be seen at night.
Such as?

I am guessing cougar, elk, and black bear.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
Ditto. I found the tracks of a pack of at least 5 when I was out there grouse hunting; also had one run right across the road in front of me just South of McLean Pond. I don't doubt that they're on the reserve; and they just have to follow the creek into FCPP. Lots of muleys in there -- they come up and feed in my front yard.
You must be in woodbine. I'm in braeside!
Old 02-25-2016, 10:23 PM

Wolverine in Lethbridge so not surprising to have wolf siting in Calgary.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:12 PM

This picture was taken in the Walmart parking lot in Symons valley north Calgary, Oct 2015. Wolf or cross?

Old 02-26-2016, 06:22 PM

No one believes you when you see one. It may as well be a ufo or El Chupacabra.

One ran out of the school yard in northern St Albert chasing a rabbit at about 130 am when I was picking my son up from a party. It loped right down the road into the open fields by Villeneuve road. Not a coyote but a full on huge wolf.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:23 PM

No one believes you when you see one. It may as well be a ufo or El Chupacabra.

One ran out of the school yard in northern St Albert chasing a rabbit at about 130 am when I was picking my son up from a party. It loped right down the road into the open fields by Villeneuve road. Not a coyote but a full on huge wolf. They occasionally get spotted off the Henday but aren't that dumb to be spotted everyday.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:33 PM
Banned

It does seem odd for a wolf to be in the city, but strange things have happened I guess (eg: calgary bobcat/lynx sightings). Here is what I thought of when I saw this thread...

http://www.cbc.ca/natureofthings/epi...et-the-coywolf
Old 02-26-2016, 09:49 PM

Ddawg texted me those pics the day he got them. They were not from a friend of a friend, they were from the foreman of the company he owns. What Ddawg didn't say is that his foreman had a bag of Time Horton's grub in his hand and the wolf came right up bolder than you could believe.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddawg View Post
This picture was taken in the Walmart parking lot in Symons valley north Calgary, Oct 2015. Wolf or cross?

Looks to have malamute in it for sure. Except the low tail.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:52 PM
Banned

In one shot it looks like he's standing as if ready to play with the person shooting the photo... not many wild wolves would do that.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:37 AM

Default Wolves in Calgary??

I'm going with domestic of some variety. Body posture and there are aspects not right for a wolf physically too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddawg View Post

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca