Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2016, 04:09 PM

Default Good old time Junior Hockey!!

What a barn burner last night at the Max Bell!! For the first time in 4 years and the inaugural season of a complete new coaching staff and management, the Calgary Canucks are going into post season play.
They took on heated rivals Okotoks Oilers last night, in the first of a home-and-home series, who normally handle the Canucks quite well. Even though, points wise, it was a meaningless game, the boys didn't fail to entertain. WOW. It's been many many years since I've seen a line brawl! Awesome!!
Will be interesting to see what happens tonight in Okotoks!

And guess who they face in the first round?!! That's right! The Oilers!

Oh and they also managed to shut out the Oilers 5-0!

Last edited by Clgy_Dave2.0; 02-27-2016 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:17 PM

Cool pics Dave, and I love Jr. Hockey. My son just got the MVP for his season, and the Oilers are very interested in him (as well as Brooks, Lloyd, Drum, and a few teams in ON where he has been playing this year). These boys are going 110% full on, no holds barred, and it isn't for the money, it is for the opportunity and for the whole concept of Team and Respect. Love it.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-27-2016, 04:21 PM

Junior A is my favourite hockey to watch these days.

Shoulda seen the line brawl the Thunder had with the Crusaders last month.

No the Thunder isn't going far in the playoffs but the boys are entertaining most nights, and hey, with having billeted Thunder players in our home for the last half dozen or so years, does make me a wee bit biased, so yup I sure am.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-27-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Cool pics Dave, and I love Jr. Hockey. My son just got the MVP for his season, and the Oilers are very interested in him (as well as Brooks, Lloyd, Drum, and a few teams in ON where he has been playing this year). These boys are going 110% full on, no holds barred, and it isn't for the money, it is for the opportunity and for the whole concept of Team and Respect. Love it.
Wow! Congrats! Brooks is amazing. They've got a hell of an arena! And Okotoks is nice too! It's hard for teams like Canucks and Mustangs to entertain up and coming players to play for them. Little to no fan support. Not to mention their operating budget is about 4 times that of ours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Junior A is my favourite hockey to watch these days.

Shoulda seen the line brawl the Thunder had with the Crusaders last month.

No the Thunder isn't going far in the playoffs but the boys are entertaining most nights, and hey, with having billeted Thunder players in our home for the last half dozen or so years, does make me a wee bit biased, so yup I sure am.
I heard all about that one! One of our ex players was involved in that one. Tyler Benko. I see quite a bit of bias displayed by the AJHL commish in handing out suspensions. Definitely some favoritism played.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clgy_Dave2.0 View Post
Wow! Congrats! Brooks is amazing. They've got a hell of an arena! And Okotoks is nice too! It's hard for teams like Canucks and Mustangs to entertain up and coming players to play for them. Little to no fan support. Not to mention their operating budget is about 4 times that of ours.

I heard all about that one! One of our ex players was involved in that one. Tyler Benko. I see quite a bit of bias displayed by the AJHL commish in handing out suspensions. Definitely some favoritism played.
The Benko brothers are great kids, they've both been over to our place a couple times, very pleasant and respectful. Their cousin #20 plays for the Thunder as well. The line brawl last month wasn't what you'd call modern hockey, but it was the Thunder's defining moment in a very mediocre season. The players who stepped up especially those who have no real ties to DV or the previously injured #3, certainly showed their metal. (#28, #7) It was a true showing of team spirit.

As for AJ politics.... It's everywhere and in every walk of life.... Watchya gonna do....

There are no absolutes
Old 02-27-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clgy_Dave2.0 View Post
Wow! Congrats! Brooks is amazing. They've got a hell of an arena! And Okotoks is nice too!
John was an affiliate to Brooks as a 16 Yr old last year, he has been playing for their head scout in ON this year and had a heck of a season. Okotoks saw him play at the Edge tournament in Dec and he led in points, as well as Lloyd, both offered spots. He played a lot this year in the eastern USA (New England prep league games) and had a couple NCAA Div I teams inquire about him. We are waiting to see about a USHL invite to their combine too, there has been several communications back and forth so far. Love that Jr. hockey!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone