Door locks kept trying to lock
Service stabilitrak
Service 4x4
Service trailer brakes
Check engine light on
Abs light on
Gauges were fluctuating and finally quit altogether except volt meter

Any idea what the prognosis might be?
Hoping it's a sensor but figuring it's the computer.

Thanks
Old 02-22-2016, 08:24 AM
Banned

Seem like something came unplugged under the dash. I've seen this happen before.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestalta View Post
Coming home from work yesterday my truck crapped the bed. Fml

Transmission wouldn't shift
Door locks kept trying to lock
Service stabilitrak
Service 4x4
Service trailer brakes
Check engine light on
Abs light on
Gauges were fluctuating and finally quit altogether except volt meter

Any idea what the prognosis might be?
Hoping it's a sensor but figuring it's the computer.

Thanks
You won't fix this with anything less than a GM Factory Compliant OBD diagnostic system,

Possibly a glitch in the security system or exhaust/emissions malfunction , ECM related to the displayed issues

( anytime Now , some dork will reply with " Buy a Dodge " ) don't be discouraged
Old 02-22-2016, 08:29 AM

Default GMC Troubleshooting.

Check out the wiring harness that runs over the transmission it may have been made to short or stretched to tight and pulled apart enough to short out. This happened to me on my 2013 and had the same results you describe. It may be hard to detect on your own and may have to go to dealership. Hope this gives you something to check out. Good Luck
Old 02-22-2016, 08:37 AM

Probably not your problem, but my 04 had some of the issues you mention and it was just the battery connections.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt007 View Post
Check out the wiring harness that runs over the transmission it may have been made to short or stretched to tight and pulled apart enough to short out. This happened to me on my 2013 and had the same results you describe. It may be hard to detect on your own and may have to go to dealership. Hope this gives you something to check out. Good Luck
Towed it to the dealership last night. Hopefully it's something as easy as that.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenStone74 View Post
Seem like something came unplugged under the dash. I've seen this happen before.
This could be to. Hit a helluva a pot hole on the ftr.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
You won't fix this with anything less than a GM Factory Compliant OBD diagnostic system,

Possibly a glitch in the security system or exhaust/emissions malfunction , ECM related to the displayed issues

( anytime Now , some dork will reply with " Buy a Dodge " ) don't be discouraged
Dodge? buy a Ford
Old 02-22-2016, 02:46 PM

my bet is on a loose ground connection somewhere.
Coyote fur - plentiful, renewable, biodegradable, organic, natural, gluten-free, sustainable, free of pesticides, herbicides, antibiotics and steroids, does not need pipelines for transport, supports first Nation trappers, produced in Canada, keeps you warm and looks great.
Down-side: may contain lead.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:19 PM

They figure it's electrical but unsure what or where.

Is a diagnosis fee normal? First I heard of this.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:

Isn't that cute?
It's on warranty but you have to pay to figure out what they need to fix...
Old 02-22-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:

Off warranty yes, on warranty no way or it should at least be covered by the warranty. Best of luck, electrical is a son of a gun. It is why I am in no hurry to trade off my 1996 2500. Very little to go wrong electrically and the mechanical I can fix my self.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:39 PM

Not warranty covered. Wire rubbed through on top of the gas tank. Nothing a $800 dollar bill won't fix. Wtf worked yesterday for nothing.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:50 PM

would be calling gm of canada customer satisfaction /warranty dept on that one.Its funny how fast the dealer will call you back with ohh it was covered by warranty.If it was above the gas tank how could you have influanced that wear?Was a faulty wiring routing ie warranty unless your one of the many albertan's with a low millage 240,000km 2013 truck lol.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdee View Post
would be calling gm of canada customer satisfaction /warranty dept on that one.Its funny how fast the dealer will call you back with ohh it was covered by warranty.If it was above the gas tank how could you have influanced that wear?Was a faulty wiring routing ie warranty unless your one of the many albertan's with a low millage 240,000km 2013 truck lol.
Yes I'll do this but I figure I'll just pay to get it out of hock and then fight for it after. Can't really afford to leave it in the shop while I fight for warranty coverage or is it one call does it all?
Old 02-22-2016, 07:37 PM

Tell them you want a loaner while you wait for the warranty complaint dep't to process your complaint. Can't hurt, especially if you bought it there. As a '13, you should be warranty covered, IMO. Good luck
Old 02-22-2016, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Yes I'll do this but I figure I'll just pay to get it out of hock and then fight for it after. Can't really afford to leave it in the shop while I fight for warranty coverage or is it one call does it all?
How many km on the truck and did you buy the additional warranty?
Old 02-22-2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
How many km on the truck and did you buy the additional warranty?
102000 and I'm not to sure if I bought the extended warranty. I don't think I did because I was planning on getting rid of it about now.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:21 PM

Quote:
102000 and I'm not to sure if I bought the extended warranty. I don't think I did because I was planning on getting rid of it about now.
The driveline or the extra purchased extended warranty won't cover wear items or electrical. GM's interruption of just what that is is pretty damn broad.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
The driveline or the extra purchased extended warranty won't cover wear items or electrical. GM's interruption of just what that is is pretty damn broad.
I agree. I know with my other truck and the wires for the o2 sensors that were constant getting screwed up was honoured under warranty.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Not warranty covered. Wire rubbed through on top of the gas tank. Nothing a $800 dollar bill won't fix. Wtf worked yesterday for nothing.
I'd refuse to pay that. When is a chaffed wire on a unit that under warranty not covered. My guess is the tech got his behind kicked on trying to find problem and warranty won't pay that much troubleshooting. Hence why they are trying to push a bill on you.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:32 PM

Sorry. Missed the 102000 part. I guess things are different in the heavy equipment industry. Typically we can get policy adjustments on break downs shortly after warranty lapses.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
That's not very many miles. I had to look for it, as I figured that it should be covered. Sounds like they won't cover the wiring under the powertrain warranty. Still, write them a letter telling them why you picked a GM, express your disappointment in their coverage and explain how you would love to pick a GM for your next truck, but now have some misgivings.

At least you didn't waste money on extended warranty. $1500 (or whatever), plus $500 deductible, minus $800, equals: upside down for $1200. Still!

I would love to tell you how much I am saving, but I may have to pay $800 to rebuild a Dana. Unless I do it myself, or find a reasonable gear shop. If anyone has a suggestion, I would like to hear it.

Sorry for the derail.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 02-23-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt007 View Post
Check out the wiring harness that runs over the transmion it may have been made to short or stretched to tight and pulled apart enough to short out. This happened to me on my 2013 and had the same results you describe. It may be hard to detect on your own and may have to go to dealership. Hope this gives you something to check out. Good Luck
Bingo but it was on top of the gas tank. Gonna fight for my $800 back tomorrow.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:07 PM

Default GM Canada

Oh good luck with getting any results out of GM, the DEF system in my truck has crashed 17 times, and there best response has been to maybe try a different dealership. Three different dealers and it wont go 3 months without killing a NOX sensor, sometimes 12 km's after the "fix". Best news for me is the warranty is done and I can rip that crap off
Old 02-27-2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
Sorry. Missed the 102000 part. I guess things are different in the heavy equipment industry. Typically we can get policy adjustments on break downs shortly after warranty lapses.
Even in heavy duty you won't usually
see a policy made for such a small repair. Engine fails shortly after warranty. Transmissions. Etc.

Not everything is warranty all the time. Time is up. As a dealer I wouldn't fight with the manufacturer over a $800 warranty policy. Cry wolf and abuse the system. Policy adjustments wil be a thing of the past.

You bought the truck. The warranty period is outlined to you. When it's over it's over. I don't get why everyone is always so shocked by it.

And they are the first ones to claim extended is a gimmick. And don't buy it
Old 02-27-2016, 08:58 AM
Banned

Another thing that worked for me in the past with GM Canada when I had a warranty issue with a Pontiac from Western GMC (gone now I think).
Had a air condition problem that somehow fell into the 'gee that's not covered under warranty' excuse.
Western was intractable. I went to GM Canada...they could not reverse Western's decision but they gave me a couple of hundred dollars worth of coupons for things like free oil changes and other routine maintenance.
Left me with a sour taste in mouth as to their warranties...but I did run about a year and a half with no charge oil changes and tire repairs.
Old 02-27-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNewton View Post
Even in heavy duty you won't usually
see a policy made for such a small repair. Engine fails shortly after warranty. Transmissions. Etc.

Not everything is warranty all the time. Time is up. As a dealer I wouldn't fight with the manufacturer over a $800 warranty policy. Cry wolf and abuse the system. Policy adjustments wil be a thing of the past.

You bought the truck. The warranty period is outlined to you. When it's over it's over. I don't get why everyone is always so shocked by it.

And they are the first ones to claim extended is a gimmick. And don't buy it
ya by millage, warranty is over.suck her up princess the debt is yous.face it it lasted 40,000 km more than gm thought hence the millage warranty.