Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-19-2020, 07:19 AM

Default 12ga. bearbangers question

TRUFLARE - BEARBANGER - 12GA

description
Explode with a tremendous bang at the end of a 150 ft flight. Perfect for wildlife deterrent. Must be fired from an open-choke shotgun. 5 cartridges per pack.

I have a Dbl. barrel Stoeger Siverado Coach Gun the right barrel is improved cylinder choke would it be safe to use these ?
Old 07-19-2020, 12:53 PM

Yes, improved Cylinder is virtually no choke. Two issues though; if the Banger lands behind the bear, guess which way it is likely to run. Also, there is NO advantage to a banger versus a slug round. You can fire to miss with a slug, but with the slug you do have the choice to fire to kill, banger, that isn't one of the options if the loud noise doesn't do the job.
Old 07-19-2020, 01:12 PM

There's a sow with cubs at the heel hanging around my BIL's acreage so far birdshot and two big dogs hasn't been a deterrent to her. The plan is to lob some bangers off the deck about 100' out in her direction.
If she didn't have cubs it wouldn't be the first bear to end it's days there, his acreage in the South zone of Sask. no bear license required.

I didn't think there would be a big difference in the choke Thanks Dean if I was in the bush I'd have a slug in one barrel 000 buck in the other.
Old 07-19-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
There's a sow with cubs at the heel hanging around my BIL's acreage so far birdshot and two big dogs hasn't been a deterrent to her. The plan is to lob some bangers off the deck about 100' out in her direction.
If she didn't have cubs it wouldn't be the first bear to end it's days there, his acreage in the South zone of Sask. no bear license required.

I didn't think there would be a big difference in the choke Thanks Dean if I was in the bush I'd have a slug in one barrel 000 buck in the other.
Okay, that makes sense. About the only use for a banger that does to me. Have to say though, after dealing with a great many problem bear calls, if bird shot, two dogs and normal scare off tactics haven't worked I don't offer a lot of hope for the bangers. Letting the sow train cubs to hang out near people never works out well and it doesn't take very long for them to learn it.

Unpleasant as it may be, if they have been hanging around for a month or more you probably have only one viable control option.
Old 07-19-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Okay, that makes sense. About the only use for a banger that does to me. Have to say though, after dealing with a great many problem bear calls, if bird shot, two dogs and normal scare off tactics haven't worked I don't offer a lot of hope for the bangers. Letting the sow train cubs to hang out near people never works out well and it doesn't take very long for them to learn it.

Unpleasant as it may be, if they have been hanging around for a month or more you probably have only one viable control option.
I hear you if it was up to me that solution would have already happened, we will try the bangers if that doesn't work out plan B will kick in.
Old 07-19-2020, 01:47 PM

The bear likes to hang around the last hole on the BIL's pitch and putt course just far enough away not to be bothered by the birdshot a couple big bangs should shake her up a bit.

Old 07-20-2020, 02:25 AM

Try banging a coupla pot together It sure works on moose for chasing them away
Old 07-20-2020, 07:54 AM

If the noise is proving ineffective, could try reaching out with a rubber slug. I’ve never used them and have no experience with them but know of one guy who uses them over bangers as he says they help make the bear fell a little extra uncomfortable around people. Probably someone on here who may have some more personal experience with them.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:21 AM

Keep in mind bear bangers are designed to be FIRED STRAIGHT UP INTO THE AIR, not at the bear. I dont know why people keep saying at the bear.

They pose a significant fire risk when they detonate on the ground. If you get a dud it is even worse as the charge smoulders on the ground at a very high temperature. If you go past the bear it will cause it to charge in your direction. If it detonates close enough to the bear to cause it harm it may then view you as a threat and charge.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 07-22-2020, 09:50 AM

Who said at the bear? the plan is to fire in the direction of the bear 200 ft. from the raised deck ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX4X4XCKz90
Old 07-22-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Who said at the bear? the plan is to fire in the direction of the bear 200 ft. from the raised deck ?

Just ignore him. They are being used on private land and you explained very well the issues, as well as the fact they were to be used at distance. Everyone knows they can be a fire risk, just like any type of fireworks No idea if he didn't read the full thread properly or if he is just that guy, seems there is always someone that wants to stir the pot. Surprised no one has come on here and said they are illegal in Parks, even the ones that are pen fired, need an Explosives permit in the States to buy them and that Vancouver has made them illegal in City limits. All of which are true but completely irrelevant to this conversation.

Best of luck and let us know if the Bangers have the desired effect and chases them off permanently.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:20 AM

Bangers are great but I have found the screamers to be the better option. Either one will work as long as they are not used too much as the bears will acclimate and ignore the magic show.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
Bangers are great but I have found the screamers to be the better option. Either one will work as long as they are not used too much as the bears will acclimate and ignore the magic show.
Familiarity breeds Contempt. And not just bears.

Grizz
Old 07-22-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
The plan is to lob some bangers off the deck about 100' out in her direction.
Quote:

You implied in her direction, you did not specify the exact flight path. Like a bullet there is a certain ballistic drop you must account for. 2 second flight time only going 150 ft makes it quite a drop. 100 ft as you originally stated could put it behind the bear.

Mainly I wrote that because every time I see one of these bear banger threads someone says to shoot them at the bear or at the very least implies it. Its your choice what your doing, but not everyone that reads these threads reads every word, some skim the threads and take it as advice.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."

Last edited by ghostguy6; 07-22-2020 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:01 PM

Hate to interrupt but, does anyone know if they make a 20 gauge bear banger.
Be nice to have out hunting birds. Can't seem to find any online but just 12 gauge.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:13 PM

Default Bear

Margo supplies in High River, has a lot of different bear deterrents to choose from.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:27 PM

Thanks Spurly will give them a call.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:41 PM

Nope Margos just has 12 gauge.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:24 PM

Never seen 20 gauge anywhere but you can buy them with their own launcher in many different sizes right down to pen size you can carry in your pocket.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:29 PM

Swamp Donkey Outdoors has rubber ball 12 gauge rounds. Maybe worth a try.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:33 PM

Headed to bear country for an Elk hunt, Ill stick to having a tag and slugs.
Old 07-23-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
Bangers are great but I have found the screamers to be the better option.
Absolutely agree. If youre gonna do it, let them.hear ya

(rbw....the double entendre set up was too good to pass up)
Old 07-23-2020, 06:23 PM

If any body needs a bear scare unit, get the fifth ops 209 bear trip line, the bear banger and flare will screw onto the 209 unit, you can use it for a trip line or carry and use it the shoot out to scare a bear, here is the link-

https://fithops.com/collections/peri...mer-trip-alarm