Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-22-2011, 08:56 AM

Default Waders. Gortex or Non-Gortex?

Hello all,

Looking to get myself a new pair of waders. I'm currenlty looking at the Simms Freestone and the Simms Headwaters. I'm just what the advantages of Gortex waders are?
Old 03-22-2011, 10:23 AM

grtext keep your from sweatig and moving the sweat out to keep your dry .
Old 03-22-2011, 10:27 AM

what do you mean by "non-gortex"? Are you wanting to compare with rubber ones with attached rubber boots, or neoprene waders? They have different uses and capabilities.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:13 AM

Gore tex material is balanced between waterproof and breathability. Therefore it keeps you dry outside and inside. But overtime your sweat will clog the pores so you must clean with some specialty detergents I'm pretty sure simms can answer that question. Grangers is the product I use.
I have been using simms gore for over 15 yrs and I love them.
Remember gore tex is a lot cheaper now then when I got them and you have choice.

I'm pretty sure other brands of waders are getting better. I heard the BPS white river breathable waders are quite good and the price is right and backed by a great warranty. Watch for the sales from BPS.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:16 PM

Goretex is a brand name and was the 1st of the waterproof/breathable (laminate) materials (WL Gore, invented the technology - patented it). There are 'similar' products on the market (various opinions on whether they are equivalent) that claim to be the same, some are as good (Patagonia H2No - made in the same factory, but branded differently), some are not even close. You pay for the name (research, quality and warrantee) and have to decide what's best for you and your situation... many advantages of Goretex and similar waders and a few disadvantages...

If you are wanting to compare neoprene or rubber, etc., you will need to clarify your question.

P
Old 03-22-2011, 12:31 PM

Sorry I guess I need to be more specific. I am wondering what the main differences between the Freestones (using QuadraLam Technology with Toray fabric) vs the Headwaters that use Gortex. I understand that Gortex is the name brand but these waders have a $100 price difference, so I was just wondering if they are drastically differen't and if there are advantages to one vs the other.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:08 PM

You will probably find the "goretex" waders (Headwaters, Guides, etc.) will be stronger (last longer) and breath better. Are they one hundred dollars better?! Might be subjective, I guess... Depends on if you will be rowing or walking/hiking in them, i.e., the non goretex will be warmer when working up a sweat!! Or using them "occasionally"... What is the warrantee like with the Freestones? I know Simms with Goretex have a (limited) lifetime warrantee not sure what the Freestones have... I've had AMAZING warrantee exp. with Patagonia (non-wader related) and have heard equal things about Simms (my Simms G4Zs are only a few months old so I can't comment directly - though I have to say I DIDN'T Pay $800 for them - or wouldn't have bought them!!). The extra $100 might be directly related to the warrantee that they have (as well as a bit better quality - in my opinion)

*edit* I should also mention that the SIMMS website states that the headwaters are "Made in the USA" (Bozeman) and they don't state that for the Freestones, so I presume they are made "offshore" - that also could make up the difference in $!!

P

Last edited by ÜberFly; 03-22-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post

*edit* I should also mention that the SIMMS website states that the headwaters are "Made in the USA" (Bozeman) and they don't state that for the Freestones, so I presume they are made "offshore" - that also could make up the difference in $!!

P
They MIGHT be made in the USA.. then again, maybe not.

Labeling laws in the USA allow for an item to be almost entirely manufactured in a completely different country and then shipped to the states. Once it reaches the states, the importer can sew on a button, attach a label, or finish up some stitching. It can now be labeled as Made In The USA. I have a friend in the US garment manufacturing industry who let me know about that one. Most companies touting the catch phrase "MADE IN THE USA" are completely full of it.

Plus, I don't see this obsession with products made in the US. I know some people criticize TFO for being made in Korea. I have been to Korea and know many Koreans. I have also spent quite a bit of time in the US both working and visiting my family. I can tell you with certainty that Korean culture puts a strong emphasis on pride in the work place. I have not seen the same from my visits to the states. And both Korea and the States utilize the same assembly line approach to production of most of their goods. This allows for a wider margin of error no matter what country goods are made in.

Anyway, I'm not saying that SIMMS aren't made in the US. I'm just saying we can't be sure unless we see the process first hand. Even if they are completely assembled in the US, can we be sure about where the fabric comes from? Still, I believe that SIMMS likely are produced nearly 100% in the US. And they are fantastic waders.

I personally own the BPS White River brand (which I hear were actually designed for BPS by Orvis.. no confirmation on that, though). Partly because I don't have a lot of disposable income, and partly because I am a recreational angler. I simply don't need the best of the best. For $150, they're quite good. I owned a pair for a year and a half and got a small leak this summer. It could have been easily repaired, but I thought I'd try to exchange them. When I went in to the shop, there was no hassle whatsoever, and not a question asked. Now I have a new pair of waders! I wonder how many more times I can go in for new ones.....
Old 03-22-2011, 04:55 PM

Commieboy...

You are correct (only a specific % of the product has to be made in the US), and I should further correct my post... All "Goretex" fabric is produced in China (at one specific factory) to the specifications of W L Gore & Associates and to whomever they license their product to Simms, Cloudveil, The North Face, Marmot, MEC, etc. (as I previously mentioned, Patagonia uses the same factory to their specs of their laminate H2No). I would presume that SIMMS gets their "raw" material from China and then "Manufactures" (sews) their waders in Bozeman - I can check with a friend of a friend that knows one of the big wigs at SIMMS if you would like, but I'm sure that's how it works... Where as BPS, Wardell, etc. get their products 100% made in asia (not directly commenting on quality, just that labor costs are less and therefore reflect final cost)...

Oh and in my exp. when you buy Patagonia or SIMMS chances are you won't have to keep going/sending back to replace b/c with normal wear & tear that just doesn't happen (all waders will eventually leak, that's a fact, but it'll take longer with a quality pair)... You can buy 5 cheapy pairs for every pair of Patagonia's or SIMMS, but again that's just my exp. & opinion... Spending that kind of $ isn't for everyone realistically, as I have previously stated... Go with what you can afford and with the best quality you can! Most importantly, what fits you best!

Last edited by ÜberFly; 03-22-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:20 PM

I have had a few pairs of simms waders, currently the freestones. I like them. No puncture holes, no tares. The seams are still warerproof.