Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-21-2011, 09:56 PM

Default Helping People out

Hey,
Just wanted to post about helping your fellow outdoorsmen. I was out on North Buck lake today and slide off the truck trail and was spinning helplessly in 4 low. I dug everything out and tried again to no avail. I was alone so it was pretty tough. I needed just a little tug to get out of the rut. I walked 45 minutes across the lake where I heard an auger. Asked 1 older gentlemen for help he said no. So I walked another 15 minutes and asked another gentlemen and he was more than willing. I would have still been stuck out there now if it wasn't for him. Just a note to everyone out there one day you will be stuck and need help I hope everyone would be willing to give someone a little tug to help them. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that does this.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:04 PM

I hear you on this man. I drive a service truck and i can't even count the number of times i've pulled people out and they all have the same story "i've been here for hours and no one will stop to help". I don't understand why people wont stop to help anymore. At the risk of sounding ignorant, i thought we were better then americans but it seems like everyone is in a mind set of only caring about themselves. Hopefully when i need a tow someone will stop for me...but i doubt it.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:10 PM

Kudos to the guy who helped you out too bad the first guys a dink I've helped a few ppl out at Wabamun sometimes I just can't though like when I'm in the middle of driving off the lake in my 2wd car.... hard to get going again after stopping
Old 03-21-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_erickson View Post
I hear you on this man. I drive a service truck and i can't even count the number of times i've pulled people out and they all have the same story "i've been here for hours and no one will stop to help". I don't understand why people wont stop to help anymore. At the risk of sounding ignorant, i thought we were better then americans but it seems like everyone is in a mind set of only caring about themselves. Hopefully when i need a tow someone will stop for me...but i doubt it.
To be fair there have been more and more weirdo using the I'm stuck/ broke down excuse to rob people.... however until I lost my truck I used to drive around pulling people out I enjoy it
Old 03-21-2011, 10:15 PM

The first guy wouldn't help you? When ever I see someone that needs help regardless of the situation I always take the time to help them out. That's just how I was raised. Next time talk to me and I will gladly take time out of fishing and help you out. Sorry that happened to you at least there was another person there to give you some assistance.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:17 PM

That's sad to here that. I help out everyone that I cross paths with as I have needed help in the past and greatly appreciated it. Just last weekend had to help a truck off the ice at Long Lake, he was not prepare to be out there(slick tires) but stuff happens, only took 20 mintues not a big deal. Back in January I deciede to run out to devils lake with the kids for an afternoon and just packed the basic's. When we were leaving notice a guy had broke through the ice stop to help but no tow rope (forgot my at home). I felt so bad after the hour dirve home I unloaded the kids and fishing tackle and loaded up with tow ropes,chains, winches and drove back. He was gone so someone came along and help him out which made me happy.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:43 PM

i like this thread i helped alot of people on sylvan lake this year getting stuck. i dont wanna get paid as this older man was tryin o give me just a simple thanks
Old 03-21-2011, 10:44 PM

what goes around comes around
Old 03-22-2011, 01:07 AM

I would like to know who the guy was that wouldn't help. For I would have no problem returning the favor to him. I would politely remind him of response to someone in need. As I drive away.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:19 AM

The fist time someones insurance company contacts yours for damage to a vehicle from pulling them out, you'll think twice about helping ppl out again also. Hasn't happened to me, but my buddy is really happy with his insurance increase for being a good samaritan. Sadly some ppl are just like that and it makes it really tough to do the right thing without thinking this could happen to you.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_erickson View Post
At the risk of sounding ignorant, i thought we were better then americans but it seems like everyone is in a mind set of only caring about themselves.
................wow.............I just got back from 22 days in the South East U.S and I will tell you from personal experience, Americans are much nicer and more willing to help then most people in Alberta..............what is with the hate on for Americans........it seems to have come up more then once on this forum...........?????
Old 03-22-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryF View Post
The fist time someones insurance company contacts yours for damage to a vehicle from pulling them out, you'll think twice about helping ppl out again also. Hasn't happened to me, but my buddy is really happy with his insurance increase for being a good samaritan. Sadly some ppl are just like that and it makes it really tough to do the right thing without thinking this could happen to you.
Just curious how this works.....
Old 03-22-2011, 08:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alodar View Post
Kudos to the guy who helped you out too bad the first guys a dink I've helped a few ppl out at Wabamun sometimes I just can't though like when I'm in the middle of driving off the lake in my 2wd car.... hard to get going again after stopping
Ever think that maybe the first old guy , may have a heart condition , or medical condition .
Old 03-22-2011, 08:44 AM

I'm personally can't afford a truck. Though, if I did have a truck I would be more than happy to help a stuck person out. My Dad has a big 4x4 and he helps out many guys he sees get stuck out on the lake. IMO I just feel very good whenever I know I have helped someone.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alodar View Post
To be fair there have been more and more weirdo using the I'm stuck/ broke down excuse to rob people.... however until I lost my truck I used to drive around pulling people out I enjoy it
What happened to your truck Alodar?

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:48 AM

Of course every situation is different, but don't throw stones at the guy who didn't help. As stated maybe he has medical issues, or maybe he has had a bad experience helping others. Maybe he didn't want to risk getting himself stuck.... While not on the lake I have helped others here in the city and barely get a thank-you. I have also helped others that get stuck 20 feet further becuase of lack of knoweldge or equipment (snow tires).... they can then wait for tow truck.

You also have to consider that some people may only get out once or twice a year, and if you spend half your day helping others that doesn't leave much time to yourself.

I also remember as a youngster some 25 years ago, on Pigeon being high centered on the rear diff with my dad. We worked at it for over two hours with several vehicles driving around us, and not one to stop and lend a hand so this is not something new.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:56 AM

If I found out who the guy was that didn't help you, my initial gut response would be to not help him if he needed it. But that won't convince him that on another occasion he should be willing to help. It would just re-enforce in his mind that no one helps him, so why should he help any one else. Those kind of people should be killed with kindness. Then they'll be more likely to show the kindness later.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:59 AM

I have been helped by guys on the lake when I was stuck and would not think twice about helping people out.
I actually turned around on Hwy 40 and helped out a couple Gov. employees who had got themselves stuck where there was no phone service with a trailer on and a big snow bank in front of them.
They were very appreciative of the help.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:46 PM

I have no problem helping the guy that needs a push or tow out at all, It's the guys that have the big trucks or just seem like they want to see what there truck can get through instead of staying on the trail that I still help but reluctantly.

The amount of times I rush out to a lake for the morning bite and have some trail blazer smashing through drifts instead of staying on the trail as I drill my holes then when I just get set up I get the old "hey buddy can I get a pull"....that annoys me.
One weekend up by brule lake we camped about 200 yards from a big mud hole on the side of the road very easy to drive around but the weekend warriors needed to try and bog through, being the only camp in the area there were lots requests for pulls needless to say not many of them were filled.
Out hunting or on the lake the guy that falls off the trail or gets stuck and needs help I am there to help push or tow and happy to do it.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:04 PM

That's a tough one, I can see both sides to it in a situational capacity. I could see him not being able to help (in which case the least they could do is give a brief gee i can't cus my car sucks or i am not up to it cus my leg hurts and i got a fish on) and I can see feeling really aggrivated about it as the person who hiked 45 mins to get a no lol... I think it's fair to say though that most people who can help on the lake usually will. Out on the lake being stuck is the worst feeling though, thinking oh man this is it its going to cost me a grand to get a special tow truck out here in the middle of nowhere willing to go on the ice.... So I try to help those who get that situation too its not nearly the same as being stuck in the city where worst case scenario your a little late for work.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:20 PM

Honest mistakes deserve a helping hand.
BUT to those idiots who do burn outs and donuts to show off and end up stuck or broke down.......good luck your on your own.
Or how much sympathy should one have when the snow is obviously very deep?????....yet some guy in a honda civic pulls up and goes with the theory....i can do it..i can do it. STUCK!!!! in the first 20 feet and blocks the approach trail.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryF View Post

in all situatins let the driver of the stuck vehicle hook up his own....

also I have heard that you need a yellow beacon light like a tow truck or risk a ticket....but this could be bs
Old 03-22-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pophouseman View Post
................wow.............I just got back from 22 days in the South East U.S and I will tell you from personal experience, Americans are much nicer and more willing to help then most people in Alberta..............what is with the hate on for Americans........it seems to have come up more then once on this forum...........?????
I knew i was risking this when i said it. It's just personal experience i've had with americans. Only met a few that i would say are friendly. Used to deal with them all the time on the BC coast and i just found them to think they were better then everyone, and wouldnt do anything that might inconvience themselves a bit if it meant making someone else's life much easier (holding a door open for an elderly person, letting someone merge on the highway, etc). I just would hate to see the whole world end up like that, I'm young, and alot of young people look at me funny becuase i'll hold a door or let someone in front of me at the checkout if they only have a few items, but im optimistic that you can make a difference in someones day, and if you do it enough, it'll come back to you one day.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwood 456 View Post
What happened to your truck Alodar?
I lent It to my uncle and he wrote it off black Ice rolled off a large embankment
Old 03-22-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter79 View Post
Hey,
Just wanted to post about helping your fellow outdoorsmen. I was out on North Buck lake today and slide off the truck trail and was spinning helplessly in 4 low. I dug everything out and tried again to no avail. I was alone so it was pretty tough. I needed just a little tug to get out of the rut. I walked 45 minutes across the lake where I heard an auger. Asked 1 older gentlemen for help he said no. So I walked another 15 minutes and asked another gentlemen and he was more than willing. I would have still been stuck out there now if it wasn't for him. Just a note to everyone out there one day you will be stuck and need help I hope everyone would be willing to give someone a little tug to help them. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that does this.
Yup...it can be a pain. I went out on Lac La Nonne one Spring. We had just had a big dump of fresh snow the day before then the temperature shot up. It had been warm for a while but my first time on the lake. Well...we got there and I looked at the ramp onto the ice and thought it was a little slick and steep for my little car. I walked down and notice lots of standing water on the ice. Me and my buddy decided to walk out. Took us a while carrying everything as the water was almost over our rubber boots...so along we shuffled.

Eventually we set up near the creek. I drilled a hole in the ice...through the water and flush! It was like a giant toilet bowl. The best thing was...we drilled 5 more holes then set up our poor boys tip ups and dropped the first smelt down the hole and let out about 60 feet of line and realized...the bottom was not 60 feet deep...set the hook....momma 8 lb pike. Released her and then proceeded to release bigger and bigger pike. Eventually we ran out of day and headed back to the car. But...it had been warm the week earlier and apparently the ice around the edge had melted a lot. In the morning the ice was up against the shore...in the evening the wind had blow the ice away and a large gap now existed between the ice edge and the shore. We tried to help one poor guy who thought he could jump the gap...very bad move. I don't think the Cavalier or whatever would be roadworthy again...even with a massive realignment. In the meanwhile...someone went to a local farmer. The farmer brought back some large boards...built a bridge...and charged $100 cash for anyone wanting to cross. There were about 11 cars/trucks lined up. Nice payday...helpful farmer...sort of...lucky drivers...YUP!