Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-20-2011, 07:00 PM

Default Quality Breathable Chest Waders?

I am looking at replacing some of gear this year and was looking dumping my neopremes for some breathables and was wondering what some of you are recommending. Simms, Hodgemans, Redington, Cabelas, Whiteriver, and Patagonia just to name a few. I see a few fishing videos and they are all head to toe in Patagonia, is that because it is good product or because they are a sponsor.
I also heard that you are not to use breathables for when in a belly boat (fistcat type), as they don't hold up to wear very good behind the knees.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:08 PM

I bought the new Bear Vedders and been very with them other then the lack of pockets. I looked at the Simms but could not bring myself to spending 400-500 on wadders.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:25 PM

i have beaten the living sh*t out of my wardells and every year they impress me. sprang a couple leaks in the boot and brought them into springbrook in calgary and they fixed em on the spot for free. my buddy uses the simms with gore tex and i would also recommend them. but a 300 dollar price diffrence, and mine are just as good as his without all the pockets.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:52 PM

I've had 2 pairs of Patagonia, Redington and Simms (current pair)... My wife has had Wardell and Patagonia (current) - women's specific model - discontinued...

The 3 top things to consider:

#1 Fit

#2 Cost (how much can you spend [or want to spend])

#3 Quality (material, warrantee, etc.)

Top 2 brands are SIMMS and Patagonia, but you are paying for that quality and warrantee, personally I wouldn't buy anything other then one of those (if you can afford them)... Another really good quality brand is Snowbee (prestige)...
Old 03-20-2011, 09:22 PM

I like the Patagonia for waders. I actually like wearing nylon pants much more than waders in the foothills. Waders are a neccesary evil when it is colder out.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:29 PM

Smile

I love my new Reddington CPX waders. They have a zipper that goes down the front of them. Us guys need to take a break now and then know how inconvenient it is to have to peel off everything to have a wiz. Reddington makes something that is usually a 20 minute ordeal a quick deal. Yes as we get older you appreciate the little things more and more.

Two thumbs up for the Reddington's

Rob
Old 03-20-2011, 09:53 PM

I bought the white river waders that are a beige color with the grey knees and butt area. I purchased them within the first few weeks of bass pro opening and they have been really good ever since. The only leak I have had was my own fault trying to get through a fence and nicked a barb which caused a small leak which was easily fixable. I had wardel waders before that and I had nothing but problems with them. For the difference in cost I think I will be sticking to the white rivers similar to the ones I have now. $140 and they are still going strong.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:21 PM

I love my Simms, but they were $$$$ a little costly, I climb in them, in the mountains, going from hole to hole, sliding down hills, n still water tight... I would buy them again
Old 03-20-2011, 11:03 PM

X1

For the Reddington CPX for all the same reasons.. great pockets and they have come out with a new welded seam one, no stitching holes in the new ones..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
I love my new Reddington CPX waders. They have a zipper that goes down the front of them. Us guys need to take a break now and then know how inconvenient it is to have to peel off everything to have a wiz. Reddington makes something that is usually a 20 minute ordeal a quick deal. Yes as we get older you appreciate the little things more and more.

Two thumbs up for the Reddington's

Rob
Vice-President of Project Healing Waters & Fly fishing Canada
Old 03-22-2011, 05:55 PM

Springbrook is as good as it gets and you are supporting a Canadian company.