Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-18-2011, 11:03 PM

Default San Jaun Worm on Bow River

Can I fish the San Jaun Worm on the bow beside bowness park or fish creek park? If so then how do I fish it and what Lind of fish will I catch?

Lethal Prostaff Member
Canadian Waterfowl Prostaff Member
Sillosock Prostaff Member
Pure Gold Chokes Prostaff Member
Lynch Mob Calls Prostaff Member
Wolverine Guns and Tackle
Old 03-18-2011, 11:09 PM

hey they do work and they work even better with a gold BH you want it to keep bounicng on the bottom and you will loose some flies if nymphed correctly. i dont use strike indacators i use a 12foot leader and a long tippit 4x5x because of the snags but now id go with a 5-6x tippit and make sure it bouncies along bottom if you see yor line stop,twitch anything unsual set the hook cause hooksets are free and the more hooks ups u get. i would expect differnt kinds of fish on wear you fish the fasterwater id expect a bow or a whitefish, slower water a brown or sucker but the there are cutts and brookies in there so keep at it
Old 03-18-2011, 11:11 PM

of course u can fish it! your gonna want to put alittle weight above it and have it under an indicator about 6-10 inches off the bottom and whitefish love it but browns and bows will also go for it
Old 03-18-2011, 11:32 PM

not alot of brookies or cutts in those to sections of the Bow
Old 03-19-2011, 08:10 AM

the river at bowness park has too much ice. the open water is way out in the middle. it may be dangerous. however if you want to fish that area you could go upstream towards the bearspaw dam. i fished there a few days ago and the water is open just about right to shore.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:59 AM

Just remember Bowness area will be closed Apr-May:

from Bearspaw Dam downstream to Western Headworks Diversion (W.H.D.) Weir (including the Elbow River below Glenmore Reservoir).
CLOSED Apr. 1 to May 31 and Oct. 1 to Nov. 30
June 1 to Sept. 30 and Dec. 1 to Mar. 31 – Trout limit 1 under 35 cm; All Trout over 35 cm must be released; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Maggots are the only bait allowed and only in the river from Aug. 16 to Sept. 30.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:33 PM

the worm is awesome i alway have it on.The thing i like to do is use buy and make my own.buy #2 eagle claw kahle hooks, beads and red wire.I use a two fly rig starting with indicator 7 feet down worm and a foot down from that what ever you want prince nymphs,wooly buggers, pheasant tails i use the worm not just as a fly but also makes great weight to help get down their, that way you can keep something on that always catch fish and only need to change out the one fly till you find what works for that day.Today it was all about white buggers.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:17 PM

im not a huge fan of the san juan for 1 reason it catches a high percentage of RMW and those things are far from my favorite species. I tie my san juans with red mono on a large hook and it helps to deter the tooth-less wonders from ruining my day...lol

I indicate fish alot and without a doubt the fly below is always on my line. This fly has without question caught me more large fish than all flies combined. Its a go to fly on the Bow from 22x to arrowood. The fly is super on the Crow in the Pass and is a killer on the Elk, Corbin and Alexander in B.C.
No matter the season if im chucking and ducking its bolted on.

I tie a couple variations but this is the basic design.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:30 PM

Hey Darter I will take 2 dozen of them bad boys.

They look really good.

I fished the crow today with Erik and I ended up hooking into only 1 bow but lost it right away. Erik on the other hand landed 3 good bows. Hopefully I can turn my luck around right away on the crow. It has been awhile since I have hooked a fish on the crow.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:44 PM

lol i tie my stones with super long leggs too its crazy how much better they work.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:48 PM

very nice looking SF chubb. i am also not a huge fan of the SJW although when i do fish with a "bobber" which is seldom, i do team my presentation with it as it is a great weight. i like to use it as my high hook though and have my nymph smacking bottom. anyone use liquid lace to tie worms? that's great stuff.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:59 PM

Thanks Nate and Derrick but they are far from good looking....Getting old is a beotch, the eyes wont allow me to tie a nice fly anymore. Hopefully the fish wont notice is fast water..lol

p.s. Congrats to the Dace gang for winning the hockey championship.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
Thanks Nate and Derrick but they are far from good looking....Getting old is a beotch, the eyes wont allow me to tie a nice fly anymore. Hopefully the fish wont notice is fast water..lol

p.s. Congrats to the Dace gang for winning the hockey championship.
I would like an order for a dozen of each... They look pretty nice for an old guy
Old 03-19-2011, 06:28 PM

LOL a couple three maybe.....Whats this dozen crap....hahhahaaahah......you young fellas can whip up your own with a pattern to copy....you guys will love this fly!!!
Old 03-19-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
lol a couple three maybe.....whats this dozen crap....hahhahaaahah......you young fellas can whip up your own with a pattern to copy....you guys will love this fly!!!
lol
Old 03-19-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
LOL a couple three maybe.....Whats this dozen crap....hahhahaaahah......you young fellas can whip up your own with a pattern to copy....you guys will love this fly!!!
haha i bet some of em are older then you thats why they need your flies
Old 03-19-2011, 09:31 PM

Works,just fish it so you can feel it bouncing on the bottom. and you should get hook ups.
Chub thats a nice fly. when the stones are hatching on the bow! I don't think there is any better day of fishing out there anywhere.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:21 PM

Nymphing for Cutts?...oh the shame

Looks like a tasty stone
Old 03-20-2011, 12:09 AM

I am terrible at tying flies and my A.D.D. keeps me from concentrating on it enough to put in a solid effort.

I will pay you for 2 dozen of them trout killers as long as they aren't worth as much as gold. I love stonefly fishing.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Nymphing for Cutts?...oh the shame

Looks like a tasty stone
I hopper,dropper going up the Corbin and Alexander....i generally fish back down with a indicator and that fly over the same pools. Its amazing how many big cutts you can convince to gobble it up in those log jams that wont come to the surface.....not a shame to me...each his own
Old 03-20-2011, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
I am terrible at tying flies and my A.D.D. keeps me from concentrating on it enough to put in a solid effort.

I will pay you for 2 dozen of them trout killers as long as they aren't worth as much as gold. I love stonefly fishing.
Nate i'll whip some up for you.....no charge buddy
Old 03-20-2011, 12:32 AM

2 we ate when we still used to keep a few
Old 03-20-2011, 12:48 AM

Those are some nice cutties Darter,

I am hoping to get into quite a few of them this year. I am going to focus alot more on small stream fishing I think.

Thanks Darter for tying some up,

I am more then willing to pay for the materials and time spent tying those flies. I will be fishing them alot this year hopefully. I think since I will probably be off of work most if not the whole summer I will be making a week or so camping trip up the trunk road to hammer some cutties. Hopefully these flies will come in handy in finding some pigs.

Last edited by npauls; 03-20-2011 at 01:17 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:39 AM

Just poking fun Chubdarter, it's all good fishing. Nymphing is very effective....just more fun trying to fool those pigs to the surface. My mentor teases that Cutts on a nymph don't count. Nothing like big fatties in small creeks.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:53 AM

ya cuttys are very realable for dry flies. thats why i love he 8.6 4wt on the ram secret fly the mod hopper
Old 03-20-2011, 10:23 AM

That's ironic Chubb. I rarely keep fish either but these 2 were delicious. I caught 2 over 20" that day; 1 came home, 1 went back. FH7, that's my brand new TFO Lefty Kreh 4 wt in the photo . Took a 3 day road trip to BC, all packed up and got to Crowsnest Pass and realized I forgot my Sage at home so had to buy a new rod. That's when I learned Lefty Kreh used to be the top designer for Sage, or so I was told, so I thought what the hell.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-20-2011, 10:41 AM

i ove TFOs with a passion and the warrenty puts the cherry on top
Old 03-20-2011, 10:53 AM

Smile

Very cool fly, Chubbdarter. I will try to tie this and use it in the Peace country this season.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyOneStyle View Post
Very cool fly, Chubbdarter. I will try to tie this and use it in the Peace country this season.
cool Willy...i'd be interested if it works up there. If you want a fly to copy let me know i can fire one up to you.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:03 AM

Well your photos are excellent, I should be able to work with that. Do you have a recipe? I'll certainly report back on the effectiveness of the fly.