Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-14-2011, 06:13 PM

Default Breaking "Trail" while Ice Fishing

I fish a lot and get stuck shoveling just as much. Im wondering how you guys "break new trail" when ice fishing. Do you use chains? Put weight in the box? How Much? Winter Tires? Just step on the gas and go?
Old 03-14-2011, 06:30 PM

when i am not taking my cavalier out on the ice i use my dodge dakota 4x4 momentum is important and if u do get stuck be gentle on the gas and make a back and forth motion also good tires are very important heavier vehicles tend to sink into the snow more than lighter ones when your considering blazing new trail make sure to keep a decent amount of speed now im not talking highway speeds there is a happy medium make your turns very wide when i go out in my cavalier and i need to blaze trail i never drop below 35 km an hour but it only weighs a couple thousand pounds not like a truck at all also i always scout ahead and try to avoid any big snow drifts once im parked in my spot i always set up drop lines and then i shovel my self a nice parking lot to turn around in and to get a running start i havent needed help getting anywhere even in my car it all about how your are driving if you go dead slow nd hit some deep snow in your truck chances are you will end up diging ruts you want to avoid this at all costs if you do get stuck typically its only needed to dig tire paths for a few feet and use smart accelerating once u start moving accelerate at the threshold just before tires spin that is and keep moving stopping is your enemy until you get where you want then dont get out and let your truck sit drive back and forth pack down a little trail for your self to get some motion again when you decide to go again also did i mention good tires
Old 03-14-2011, 06:32 PM

i have a lifted duramax with toyo openn country m/t tires,
i just purrrr through the snow, but somtimes i give her some juice. nothing wrong with bagging the 4x4 once and while
Old 03-14-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alodar View Post
when i am not taking my cavalier out on the ice i use my dodge dakota 4x4 momentum is important and if u do get stuck be gentle on the gas and make a back and forth motion also good tires are very important heavier vehicles tend to sink into the snow more than lighter ones when your considering blazing new trail make sure to keep a decent amount of speed now im not talking highway speeds there is a happy medium make your turns very wide when i go out in my cavalier and i need to blaze trail i never drop below 35 km an hour but it only weighs a couple thousand pounds not like a truck at all also i always scout ahead and try to avoid any big snow drifts once im parked in my spot i always set up drop lines and then i shovel my self a nice parking lot to turn around in and to get a running start i havent needed help getting anywhere even in my car it all about how your are driving if you go dead slow nd hit some deep snow in your truck chances are you will end up diging ruts you want to avoid this at all costs if you do get stuck typically its only needed to dig tire paths for a few feet and use smart accelerating once u start moving accelerate at the threshold just before tires spin that is and keep moving stopping is your enemy until you get where you want then dont get out and let your truck sit drive back and forth pack down a little trail for your self to get some motion again when you decide to go again also did i mention good tires
x2

thats the way to do it for sure i run a 2x4 chevy and with chains it goes just as far as a 4x4 with the exeption of breaking thru flood ice!!!!
Old 03-14-2011, 06:49 PM

Ranger FX4 with a little lift and big beefy bfg mud terrains and some throttle. Alternatively this winter I prefer a crossfire sled
Old 03-14-2011, 08:19 PM

Like mst of have mentioned momentum is key,as well as good tires. i purchased tires chains from canadian tire that make a big differance i dont even put my truck in 4x4 untill i get into a nasty spot that i shouldent be in to begin with.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:43 PM

if u floor it your wheels dont grip and yu wont get very far so just go s fast as you can pack it.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:30 PM

Knowing the lake helps too. Drifts blow in certain places year after year. Drive around em. Ground clearance and TIRES. Make sure it's not just you as well. If u hit ****ty spots you'll notice your truck handles deep snow better in reverse. I've pulled that move a few times. BALLS mostly
Old 03-15-2011, 05:04 AM

Wow if you hit bad ice you are going through at 35 km per hour. Everything i have heard or read about ice has told me to keep travel slower than the wave or about 10 km per hour.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:28 AM

I can't go 10km/h in my car I don't move at all momentum is a must in The car plus its weight 2500 lbs I've even skimmed across flood Ice in it at that speeds its pretty much a must if I take my car out to get anywhere unless the Ice is bare
Old 03-15-2011, 11:07 AM

My way through deep snow 35" Nitto mud gapplers
Old 03-15-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
My way through deep snow 35" Nitto mud gapplers
How loud are those on the highway?
Old 03-15-2011, 11:50 AM

I dont drive on. I park on shore and take a snowmobile with a sleigh. I got sick of getting stuck. with the sled I dont even bring a shovel. plus moving to a new spot is way faster.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izumi View Post
How loud are those on the highway?
sounds like a big ag-cat taking off full of water and chemical haha its terrible
Old 03-22-2011, 08:31 PM

Where does one go and get chains? Canadian Tire? Gregg's? What are the best kind?