Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-05-2017, 11:10 PM

Default Leupold CDS System

To the guys that use the CDS dial, does your power range affect the point of impact? Or is 275 yards, 275 yards no matter what magnification you are using? I was looking at the Swarovski brh reticle and it is calibrated for full power so if a person turned down the power from 18 to 10, the point of impact would be different. Thanks for your input.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:33 AM

Magnification does not affect the dial.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:40 AM

The CDS system is designed to work at any magnification if you are using a centre aiming point like a duplex reticle.
Check out questions and answers on the Leupy web site if you want more info.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:53 AM

The CDS system simply uses a turret calibrated for the load. Since it only has one crosshair, which is used to set the zero, the magnification does not effect the calibration.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:21 AM

Default Cds

The CDS system is great because its simple, its also bad because its simple. You are limited to using one specific type of ammunition with the CDS system. If the ammunition you use is changed by the manufacter or is discontinued then your turrets no longer function. If your powder lot changes they no longer function the same same. If you want to change your bullet weight or type then you need new turrets.

They are also calibrated for specific tempurates. You may have noticed hunting in Alberta can result in temp swings of several degrees during the day. This also affects the turrets. In fact just this weekend I noticed this phenomenon. I was out target shooting and had my ammo in my truck. I got on target then shot a 5 shot group. I walked out to check the group, walked back to my shooting position, warmed up in the truck for a few minutes then shot another group. The temp had droped in that time and my ammo being left outside had cooled. I shoot Varget which is pretty good with temp sensitivity but I still saw about 2-3 inch drop in point of impact at 500 yrds.

They are also calibrated for specific elevation. If you hunt on the prairies and up in the mountains your point of impact with shift.

I guess what I am saying is if you want to hunt long range my humble opinion is that you should use target turret scopes.

That being said CDS is simple to use and maybe thats your preference. They do have a limited application.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:25 PM

Default Leupold CDS System

Quote:
Originally Posted by schleprock View Post
To the guys that use the CDS dial, does your power range affect the point of impact? Or is 275 yards, 275 yards no matter what magnification you are using? I was looking at the Swarovski brh reticle and it is calibrated for full power so if a person turned down the power from 18 to 10, the point of impact would be different. Thanks for your input.

I don't think anyone has touched on this yet:

The Swaro BRH reticle has multiple hash marks for holdover at different distances. These subtensions allow for you to avoid spinning turrets (as is the case with Leupold's CDS system) by plugging some data into Swaro's calculator, as you've done.

While the central crosshair in the BRH system remains fixed no matter what magnification you're set at, the subtensions (i.e. Holdover hash marks) will represent different holdover distances if you change the scope's magnification. In other words, in the BRH system, the first hash mark will have a different POI at 10x than at 18x, etc.

That is why Swaro's software spits out your holdover dope with a specified magnification setting.

It really comes down to personal preference:
If you like ranging an animal and then spinning turrets, use the Leupold CDS or Swaro BT. If you prefer ranging and then dialing magnification and choosing an appropriate hash mark, then choose the BRH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk