Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-11-2008, 05:01 PM

Talking hunting in wmu511

How is access to hunting north of Calling lake. Is their much for elk and moose in this area of the zone?
Old 01-12-2008, 09:57 AM

I have hunted in 511 North of Calling a bit. The deer numbers were down some there this past season so I spent more time south of the lake. There is some access just off the highway. The Moose are there, but they get hunted hard. Lots of hunters in early season, and a fair amount of tags in late season. I think a lot of guys were skunked last fall, but there are Moose. Perhaps a better bet is to acess 511 off the 1000 rd, and hunt some of the newer clear-cuts they have way back.
I have never seen an Elk in the "big bush" of 511. I believe that they are more on the west side of the zone in the farm land. However, I did hear that Natives shot a 5 pt bull and a 6 pt bull North of the lake in 516 this past August. I don't know if that is true- but if it is, then it is the first time I've heard of any Elk coming out of the big bush up there. If you got a quad or an argo you can be sucessful with Moose up there- but I'd look for Elk some place else.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:21 AM

Thanks for the tips.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:18 PM

A buddy was talking to F & W after they checked him in November on the 1000rd and they told him that the native where there in August and cleaned out the area. i still seen some tracks but never harvested any moose. did see lots of cow calf pairs north around the martin hills road. Deer hunting was slow like WThunter said the numbers where down and Elks all in fields that are impossible to get permission there are a few herds one south of paul lake and i have seen tracks along the Fawcett river but the blocks are so big it's pure luck to find them, that and it needs to be frozen to get in the areas.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:32 PM

Last year there was very little in mid-November. 1 set of moose tracks, no sign anywhere of elk and the deer seemed to be nocturnal. Lots of deer sign but no deer. I went for moose but I heard that it is heavily subsistence hunted. Few roads but hundreds of miles of thick bush. Managed a successful shot at a small buck. Thats it. Could've nabbed a few does though.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:06 AM

I hunt 511 quite a bit....There seems to be decent numbers of moose (we have taken a few out of there in previuuos years), but seems like you have to be in the "right" area....I hunted areas were they seem NON-EXISTANT (in terms of tracks and sightings)....then other areas are littered with tracks and you see them.....Just depends on where you are; 511 is a HUGE zone....

This past fall we seen a 40" Bull in a block right off a very well used cutline....I talked to a few guys whom had tags yet seen no moose....we on the other had had no tags but were seeing them....but I think that is how it typically goes......

Elk only seem to appear on the farm land in the west...as far as I know or have heard....