Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-05-2008, 09:49 AM

Default Research methods

Hey guys. I'm new here and would like to pose a question.

I have hunted in the same little parcel for about 12 years. My area doesn't have a high number of trophy bucks and I would like to start targeting them a little more consistently. I don't have a lot of time for scouting as I work in the housing industry and work 6 sometimes 7 days a week. How would you recommend to do some preliminary scouting before burning up the pavement?

I should get drawn for mule buck this year and possibly moose so I was thinking about hitting the Peace region because of the different species that are available. Would the Fish & Wildlife office be able to give advice on trophy quality? Would a guy try a biologist? If so, where do you find a biologist?

I don't mind looking around and asking permission but a 6 or 7 hour drive after work on a Saturday, then driving back Sunday night would probably kill me to do it 6 or 7 times in a row.

Thanks guys.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Banned

I feel your pain!
The problem with your idea is that there is only 2 F/W guys up that way that I know of.
If you call a officer named Dave (I think) he night get you started in the right direction as far as access goes, but with all the land he has to cover, he will not have a fantastic idea of what 1/4 the pig is hiding on.

Perhaps a better idea is to make 2 trips. Your first trip is at the beginning of the season. Find where the does hang out, and perhaps you might get lucky and get a bug one still in Velvet. But the main purpose of this trip is to find and talk with landowners.
Also few other things you can do on this trip that will help.
Find a place to camp
Find a water source
Find a fuel source
Bears are a fantastic opportunity at this time, and you might get lucky on the Elk
Don't count on seeing any great whitetails at this time, but once again you will find does.

You come home after that trip spend some time with Goggle earth, perhaps make another few calls, then head up the 3rd week of November. Lots of lease land up that way. Though it isn't always the best way to hunt up there, it really gives you easy access to landowner phone #'s

I would normally recommend the last week of the season, but for the last 2 years we have really suffered with the cold and the snow. We did not get the fields 2 years ago and this year we were barely getting in. We will be hunting the 3rd week this year.

I know the extra trip will be hard, but it sure is worth it. Even if you have to wait till Thanksgiving long weekend to do it, it still will be worth it

I really enjoy hunting the Peace region. Good people, Good animals.

Jamie
Old 01-05-2008, 10:16 AM
chevy427

You don't need to research - just work some overtime and buy a canned hunt on one of them big ranches there gonna sell tags on down south.

Should work out good for guys who don't have time and can't walk
Old 01-05-2008, 10:29 AM

as for your hunting around home, set up some trail cams on good trails and see by that whats coming through. By that you can sometimes figure out a pattern. I find that in the early season Big Bucks are pretty predictable.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:44 PM

Thanks Jamie.
I am trying to decide which zone to apply in. That is why I am trying to do the research. Are alot of the landowners pretty good up there? I generally like to talk to landowners before the season so I don't bother them in their busy time. I have it narrowed down to two zones I think. Like I said there is a strong chance that I will be drawn for mulie bucks and moose this year. Any ideas about a biologist?
Old 01-05-2008, 11:46 PM
Banned

If you are travelling to a new and unknown area, just call an outfitter from the area. If the first one you call tells you to go away, all another one and pretend you are interested in booking with him and have a few questions. Ask him how many deer you could expect to see in a day, and what you could expect to harvest realistically. If this doesn't work, talk to guides in the area. I can give you the names of probably 4 or 5 in the Peace area and I know they will tell you! Heck, one might even take you out for a morning or evening if you talk nice.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:47 PM

Thanks Bobby. How are the landowner's up there. Is there a lot of small farms or are there a lot of big operations. I will be going to get a county map or 2 soon.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbypetrolia View Post
If you are travelling to a new and unknown area, just call an outfitter from the area. If the first one you call tells you to go away, all another one and pretend you are interested in booking with him and have a few questions. .
I don't agree with wasting someone's time under false pretenses. The guy is in business, time is money. Don't pretend you are doing business with him when you have no intention of doing so.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:34 AM
Banned

Cowtown.
I was just looking in my Wallet and came across the Biz card for F/W up there

The Officers name is Dave Barrett
Tel # is 780-524-3605
Feel free to tell him you got his name from Jamie Hunt who camps at Blue Bridge South of Gerioxville.
He is good guy and perhaps he can get you started in the right direction.
I wouldn't recommend where we hunt for Trophy Mules. Lots around, but I haven't seen anything monstrous.

Good luck
Jamie
Old 01-08-2008, 07:46 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks Jamie. The help is much appreciated. I hope everyone here isn't thinking that I am asking for their hunting spots. I am only wanting some additional info on how someone else may do some long distance scouting. I am willing to do all the driving that needs to be done. I would just like to be as productive as possible while I am looking. The more leg work I can do from home the more productive I hopefully can be.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:56 PM
Banned

Cowtown. Plenty of room up where we hunt. If your ever looking for a mixed bag hunt(Elk, Bear, Moose, Whitetail, Mule) with some good possible trophy's, please feel free to look me up.
I am not sure where I am going to put in for Mule next year, but I don't think it will be up where we hunt.
Good luck figuring it all out.
I owe this board for more than one successfully hunt. Its the least I can do to put a bit back.

Jamie
Old 01-10-2008, 09:26 PM

Default Hmm...

Thanks Jamie. I always enjoy meeting other hunters and comparing notes. I am sure you'll be hearing from me again as the draw deadline gets closer.
Daryl
Old 01-13-2008, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Cowtown. Plenty of room up where we hunt. If your ever looking for a mixed bag hunt(Elk, Bear, Moose, Whitetail, Mule) with some good possible trophy's, please feel free to look me up.
I am not sure where I am going to put in for Mule next year, but I don't think it will be up where we hunt.
Good luck figuring it all out.
I owe this board far more than one successfull hunt. Its the least I can do to put a bit back.

Jamie
Posts like this are why it's great to be a part of this "community".

Fantastic attitude - Good on ya Jamie!
Old 01-13-2008, 05:47 PM

Default Thanks Jamie

I agree with you there. I had heard some great things about this board. That is why I joined. I think the wealth of information available here is second to none. Helping each other as a community can do nothing but good for these sporting activities. I will share info with anybody I can to help them out here.