Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-12-2008, 08:02 AM

Default Ethic's question: elk hunting

A few years back I was guideing a elk hunter in BC. Dawn broke and we were looking atabout 15 cows about 2000 yards up the slide. Soon a large framed bull showed himself for about 5 seconds. I guessed him at about 315. Right away the lead cow started in to the timber to our right on a high elk trail and all followed, the bull bugleing every few once and a while. I knew there was another slide about 1000 yards to our right and they might cross it, so we hurried over there. When we got there we climbed up the slide to a good spot to wait. Only to see a nother hunter there also. He didn't know the elk were coming.
So we had the elk and he had the spot. Who gets the shot? I like to here some answers and then I'll tell you what happened.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:10 AM

Default elk

if there was ahunter stationed there already, i would leave. no?
Old 01-12-2008, 08:23 AM
Carolyn

Quote:
So we had the elk and he had the spot. Who gets the shot? I like to here some answers and then I'll tell you what happened.
Well I am not a elk hunter but if this was me i would tell the other hunter they might be comeing this way and let the other hunter have the first shot. I beleave hunting is 90 % luck by saying that i mean being at the right place at the right time .
sheep nut wrote
Quote:
I'll tell you what happened
This could be interesting can't waite.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:25 AM

If the other guy is in the right place at the right time and your not then he has first dibs.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:38 AM

I would say it's whoever the first shot opportunity presents itself to. I'm assuming you wouldn't be looking to sit right in his back pocket for your spot either though. Could be maybe he wasn't even after elk and you would have let your opportunity slip by if you let them go for him.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:53 AM

I would walkaway and leave the other hunter alone if he is in the right place at the right time then that's his good fortune,it's likely not the only bull around so go find another one.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:05 AM
SNIPER

I would sit back and watch the show. Trying to set myself up just in case they came out to far away from the other hunter.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER View Post
I would sit back and watch the show. Trying to set myself up just in case they came out to far away from the other hunter.
Me too.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:48 AM

I'd tell the guy the Elk may be coming through, and wish him luck. Still, would probably hang around a bit to see what happened.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:12 AM

hats off right place right time
Old 01-12-2008, 10:28 AM

knowing my hunting buddies the way i do we would sit back let the other hunter take his shot then probly help pack the darn thing out.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:33 AM

I would set up to support the hunter in prime positition. or bug out. he may need help with his kill, either a finishing shot or recovery. he may have been well aware of this herd coming by way of a partner's communication or previous stalk. dont ruin it for another.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:33 AM

Thumbs up yea

yup i would tell him that we didnt know you were here but my client and i spotted some elk moving this way, one nice bull, then i would sit there and let the hunter shoot the elk since he was there first, or if my client didnt want to be there i woudl slowly back out and move on, if my client which he probly woudl wanted to stay there and watch the action i would pull out the camera and wait, then help him out and make sure he made it out safely.
for alot of clients the adventure and the memories are jsut as much of it as him killing an animal. so thats what im saying happened.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:36 AM

What did happen? Did the guy get a shot at those elk coming through?
Old 01-12-2008, 10:56 AM

go up and talk to him, maybe you can get fill 2 tags and split some meat?

At least you'd be helping out a fellow hunter
Old 01-12-2008, 10:58 AM

Default Talk to the guy

You never know, he might have a COW tag OK, one, two, three BOOM KBOOM! One cow and one bull down

If both had bull tags, I would move away a bit, and watch. Maybe the first guy misses and the guide and his hunter get a shot.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:22 PM

Default What to do

1. Find out what the new guy is hunting. If it is not elk, ask if you can stay in the area to try for the bull.

2. If it is bull elk and wants to know if you have seen anything let your client tell him, he is the one paying you not your new found friend. He paid you to find the elk in the first place and the information is his to share, not yours.

3. In either case move on to the next best stand available so you do not interfer with his hunt, elk or not, letting him know where you are going to be for safety purposes.

4. If he was hunting elk and killed the bull, again it is the client's call as to help or not, he is paying to hunt and may not want to take time out of his day to assist.

If I was the paying client, I would not tell him I had seen the bull, unless I did not want that particular animal. I would move onto the next best location to hunt without interferring with the other hunter, and if he killed the bull it would depend how much hunting I had left in the day as to whether or not I would assist.

If I was out on my own, I would tell him about the bull, wish him luck while hoping he would miss it, move onto the next best location so I would not interfer and continue my hunt. If he killed the bull I would go back to see if I could render assistance.

To me it depends who you are in the story!
Old 01-12-2008, 12:23 PM

Default What to do

Double posted

Last edited by Sputnik; 01-12-2008 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Double posted
Old 01-12-2008, 05:26 PM

well, if the bull was only a 315 bull i would tell the other hunter good luck, and then go find a real bull, not one that still had milk driping down his chin...
Old 01-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Banned

There could be a real possibility that the other hunter just did the same thing you did.........that is watch the elk come out, go back in, and move to the other slide. Maybe he has been watching them for days do this same thing and positioned himself for a shot. He may have been sitting there for a week after scouting this area.
Bottom line...........he is there. It is his spot and his shot.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:01 PM
SNIPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbypetrolia View Post
Bottom line...........he is there. It is his spot and his shot.
This is the only part I disagree with. He doesn't own the spot. What if 2 bulls walk out. Do you not shoot because it is not "your" spot.
'
Old 01-12-2008, 06:47 PM

Tough call.
How far off was this hunter when you noticed him ?
If you were close when you noticed him, likely carry on and talk to him.
If I was in position, and saw a guy coming at me from many hundreds yards off, I'd likely wave you off, not wanting to be disturbed.

TBark
Old 01-12-2008, 07:24 PM

The hunter was about 10 feet away when he leaned out behind a tree and said hi. It was day 8 of a 10 day hunt and hunting was slow. Lots of pressure on us guides about day 8 if you don't have a bull yet. He had no idea there was a bull comming.We had know idea that there were any locals back that far yet that year. He had no idea we were around either. We were 1 hour down stream from our camp and he was 1 hour upstream from his.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:35 PM
SNIPER

Old 01-12-2008, 09:48 PM

Elkhunter1234
I personally remember one of your hunters taking a much smaller than 315 6x6bull. on that exact slide. A short little heavy lady from Wisconson I think? Ring a bell?
Old 01-12-2008, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheep nut View Post
Elkhunter1234
I personally remember one of your hunters taking a much smaller than 315 6x6bull. on that exact slide. A short little heavy lady from Wisconson I think? Ring a bell?
OK, i see you want to play hardball... you leave those horse trail bulls for us old fat out of shape farts, and get your azz up the side of those mountions and kill some of those bulls up in the high basins... unless of course you are ready to join or old fat fart club...

and she was from Michigan not Wisconson... come on, i do have some class...
Old 01-13-2008, 04:34 PM

Default Answer

Here's what I did. I told him that a bull was on his way here. We had the elk spotted but he was in the best place to shoot from. I said "we'll flip you for first shot." He won the flip just as all the cows filtered out one by one at about 200 yards. Then the bull showed himself. A very varge 5x5. (6 point zone). We never bumped into each other again.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:38 PM

Default man

awww man all that and the bull wasnt even legal.
good thread though i enjoyed seeing the different scenerious