Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-10-2008, 09:53 PM

Default 300A late season elk

I am looking for some advise or some help a buddie of mine got drawn for the 300a elk hunt from dec25 through feb 21. we went out the other day to check out the zone and was very surprised to see that the map they give for the zone in the hunting regs does not properly show where the zone starts and stops. the park is part of the boundery and to my surprise is pourly mark if at all. does anyone have or know where to get a more percise map or knowledge of the zone so someone doesnt make the mistake of going in the park. or going out of the zone. cause i here the fish cops watch that area like a hawk.
any help would be great
THANKS
Old 01-10-2008, 10:02 PM

Cool 300a elk

i don,t know where yuo live but, maptown in edmonton is a great sorce for hunting maps.
give them a call and tell them where you are looking and they should have a map for it.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:04 PM
Banned

Have you looked at the MD map??
Map town is your friend.
Also when I draw that tag (B side) I ordered a really nice map book that showed everything very well. It was bit expensive, but worth it.

Heck the overhead pics were so clear they managed to let us find our so called "guide" when he was hiding from us.....
Long story.
Good luck

Jamie
Old 01-11-2008, 12:33 AM

Having worked on the trail crew in Waterton you'd really have to not be paying attention to cross into the park. There is a barb wire fence all along the northern boundary of Waterton with little yellow signs stating the boundary. When you see the sign for the park, you are at the boundary and it runs east and west at that point (with a few jogs near the chief mountain highway).

Last edited by BrainTan; 01-11-2008 at 12:38 AM.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:37 AM

i hunt that area and the way we figured it out was when ur going towards 300 zone (or going towards the park or montana) 300a is on the left of u and b is on right of u. i hunt 300a and if u need a land owners name i can see if i still have his number kicking around pm me
Old 01-11-2008, 09:15 PM

so what you are saying is unless we are blind idiots we cant miss the park boundry. thats good to know cause a guy would hate to mess up. and thanks for the advise on the maps as well never thought of the md map thing good ideas. any more advise please let me know . now if only the damn weather would coporate with him he'd be of to the races.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:47 PM
jrs

I have just used the MD maps. I've hunted that season the past 4 years, this is the first winter i don't have a tag. My brother and a really good friend do but we only go down if there's some nasty weather (none of us have ever shot a elk). I have only seen bulls outside the park in the past years (lots of them, a few true monsters two years ago) and only had a chance at some cows once, landowner said we were 10 minutes too late getting there as they moved off into a safe area. Always see lots of moose, deer, coyotes, a few wolves, cougars and get good exercise. If someone hears some cows are out wondering around I'd love to hear about it, i kind of forgot it was that time of year again now that its not me hunting. I took a new hunter down there last year and we had a great time ending the day with some ice fishing out at Butcher. If it wasn't for receiving news of the bad sheep poaching incident during that trip it would have been perfect. Good luck, beautiful zone for sure.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:00 AM

Default Cow or bull tag

I have spent a fair bit of time down in that area looking to fill a cow tag last season and from what I was told by the numerous farmers that unless you have a strong wind from the East and it's minus 20, along with a hard packed snow, you will not see the big herd from Waterton leave the park. If the conditions are right, you will probably see anywhere from 40-400 elk in the farmers fields.

We had no trouble getting permission from the various farmers, only one fellow outright refused us. One farmer had a bull tag of his own and did not want us to go in a particular area-that was okay as we had cow tags. He let us on other parts of his land without any difficulty.

There are other smaller herds, I was told of one in the Oil Basin area, but never was able to see them. In addition you might find a few elk here and there, but for the most part they are pretty comfortable in the park boundries.

I spent a solid 6 days walking/driving/spotting with my rifle last season, but the weather was always pretty nice. Saw lots of deer and coyotes, but was not able to connect on an elk

As for the map issue, order a county map from the County office in Pincher Creek, photocopy the bottom corner where 300 A is and then draw the boundries of the park and the zone to the west and the Drywood Creek to the North. Then start knocking on doors. Nice folks, nice area, nice weather and no elk!

Keep us posted and good luck with your hunt.

"It is not the shirt on the man, but rather the man in the shirt"
Old 01-12-2008, 11:19 AM

You can find the wmu 300 boundary detailed descriptions online at http://www.albertaoutdoorsmen.ca/hun...s/wmu/300.html along with the details from 300A and the drawbooklet, pg22 http://srd.alberta.ca/fishwildlife/l.../2007Draws.pdf

Good Luck with the hunt!