Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-06-2008, 05:55 PM

Default Elk Seminar??

I’m just wondering if anyone knows about any elk hunting/bugle/calling seminars. I live in Peace River but I’m really interested to attend a seminar in B.C., Alberta or Saskatchewan.

I started hunting elk this year. We hunted hard and covered a lot of ground. Bugled a few bulls and the last afternoon of our trip my buddy shot a small elk, good meat.

With my new job I work with elk hunters and ask them question on elk hunting. I want to learn more about their behavior and the “theory” of elk hunting from guys that hunt them for a long time. I’m interested to learn basic knowledge of elk and their calls so during hunting season I have some guidelines to follow.

Thanks for your help

Call of the Wild
Old 01-06-2008, 06:29 PM
bubbasno1

I know you were asking about a seminar but try to get a hold of the elknut dvd's or cd's. They helped me a lot. He goes through all of the calls elk make. Very interesting watching. He has a website elknut.com. Hopefully this helps you out.

Bubba
Old 01-06-2008, 07:01 PM
Gone Hunting

Wayne Carlton has been in the Rocky area twice giving calling seminars. I went to both, Educational and very entertaining. If you ever get a chance to go to one it is well worth it. The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation (head office was in Rocky at the time) brought him up for a series of seminars in Alberta a lot of years ago. I wonder if the "Wild Elk Federation" would do such a thing again?

I have a book called "The Urban Elk Hunter" by a fellow from Edmonton that is very good. Don't know where you could get a coppy of it though as it only ran one printing. ( I have tryed to convince him to have another print run)

A good video can teach aguy a lot.

Good luck!

Robin in Rocky
Old 01-11-2008, 12:49 PM

Thanks guys. ElkNuts.com seems very interesting. The guy will make money out of my. Seems his stuff is not commercial, he really explain elks.

Just can't wait to finish my PE course and then I'll hit the bush on days off

Call of the Wild
Old 01-11-2008, 06:26 PM
bubbasno1

I think you will love the Elknut products. His videos have helped me a ton on my calling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call of the Wild View Post
Thanks guys. ElkNuts.com seems very interesting. The guy will make money out of my. Seems his stuff is not commercial, he really explain elks.

Just can't wait to finish my PE course and then I'll hit the bush on days off

Call of the Wild