Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-10-2008, 09:31 AM

Shedcrazy I am sure you have been involved and spent endless hours researching CWD ,its effects and where its located.
Has it ever been discussed about checking Deer in more western WMU's or is that a scary thought for everyone.Maybe lack of funding

The way i see it, is you can kill as many Deer as you want but it only takes one carrier for the inevitable to happen and thats the whole population to one day be infected. Sure culling may slow down the process and give us an idea what zones have it. Maybe one day we'll come up with a magic pill that will cure them all.

F&W checked my 234 Elk on special request and it came back negative,good thing it's 1/4 gone already and passed through quite a few bellies already.

My 2 cents.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Just click the link I posted and enter your login info. My reults pop up right away.
Mine don't. I've already received results from several deer so it shouldn't be because they aren't available. Anybody else see their results on the RELM site?
Old 01-10-2008, 12:26 PM

I have had a steep learning curve to CWD over the past two years and have been lucky enough to been part of some great discusions. As some of you know I am not part of SRD but work quite closely with them. I do not always tote the SRD line on this issue but do understand why some things are happening a certain way.
I too would like to see more testing in other parts of the province. If nothing else to provide more data that it is not spread throughout the province. Cost is the main issue here. It cost money to test, to pick up heads, to store them and to send out results.
I think the results from this year was surprise to a lot of people and it does seem that the more WMUs that heads are tested in, the more WMUs we seem to be finding it. The areas still make sense though as they are close to each other and along hot spots across the border.

As for the link WTbooner I am not sure why it is not working for you....anyone else try?
Old 01-10-2008, 04:15 PM

The link works fine Shed, it's just that there is absolutely no information on CWD results on the RELM website (for me). It sounds like a great idea though. I hope they do post results that way in the future. It could save them some money in postage too.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:26 AM

Does anyone know why there is NO DRAW for Mule Buck in zone 234 when they are trying to cull so many Deer out of it?
I would like to Put my Draw in there as well for a Non resident I hunt with?

If you want one you have to shoot 2 does first the way it is now.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:47 AM

Default Cost is the issue?

Seems to me that when F&W feels that there is a sense of urgency, cost go out the window as I witnessed last year down by Empress. There was no expensed spared in the culls down that way last year. Helocopters with a hired sniper on board.
How do you know where to draw the line, was it worth killing 2000 animals to find 1 % with CWD? Not sure how many were killed in WMU 234, likely a simular number. FS
Old 01-11-2008, 11:13 AM

It's actually closer to 0.2%. I wonder what the percentage would be in a zone considerably further west. If a similar number of deer were tested in WMU248 I wonder if a positive could be found. I realize heads were tested in years past in 248 but I assume in numbers much less than were tested along our eastern border in the last couple of years. In fact, I believe there weren't any positives in the east either back when 248 was tested. My point is that CWD may be present in a much larger area than we think. Prevalence doesn't seem to be increasing much over the last couple of years so I'm not feeling as pessimistic as some others. 0.2% is a very low occurence and quite possibly this occurence could actually be wide spread. If it does not increase in prevalence then maybe things aren't so bad. Does anyone know what the prevalence was in infected areas in SK? Perhaps the presence of CWD is virtually impossible to remove but keeping it at a low prevalence is maybe the best we can hope for.