Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-20-2011, 09:13 AM

Default rr23 sylvan lake

Hey boys just wondering if anyone fished rr23 yesterday and if the whites are still biting ? did well there Wednesday afternoon. thought I might take the kids out this afternoon for a bit if they are still biting. thanks.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:54 AM

they goto eat sometime
Old 03-20-2011, 10:40 AM

thanks lol. that was helpfull. lol. Im asking because I took them last sat to gull at wilsons and we did awesome. my 3 year old son caught his first fish all by himself, we just had to lift it out of the hole for him that was it he did the rest. Any way fishing was great but went yesterday and we did ok on whites early morning and last light but the ling were dead. talked to another guy that was there on thursday and he said they peeked on thursday, the ling were just boiling through there in balls. looks like once again I missed the peek. lol. we caught a few ling but they were spawned out. just wondering if it is over on sylvan.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:44 AM

ya there pawning right now last week then wernt me and my buddy found a god spot on sylvan where we caught every sportfish in on day including one tiny perch that i practicly snagged. its the sme size of the chubb darter.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:51 AM

Was there yesterday with my daughter and father in law, fished 25ft,saw a lot of whites in the morning,we are not used to fish deep water, only landed 2,missed one ling at the hole. There are many lings swimming around, only very few of them were willing to check the lure.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:01 AM

BTW it snowed a couple inches.today
Old 03-20-2011, 11:53 AM

thanks guys, ill probably hit it for a few hours and see what happens. on wednesday I limited on whites and got two ling in 15 to 20 feet of water, on gold bells with a yellow and gold wire worm a foot above. probably lost 10 whites at the bottom of the hole and two ling as well, lol. a bit of a nack to getting those whites started up through the ice without snagging a hook.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:30 PM

Default reel or pull

Wrench, do you reel in or pull the fish up the hole? Setting the hook and then pulling the line up with your hands works the best to avoid losing fish. BEL
Old 03-21-2011, 12:06 PM

in the deeper water at rr23 I real them up 10 ft then set the rod down and bring them up by hand. we went yesterday and caught 10 whites and a burb in 2 hrs, then went to Wilsons at gull for that last hour and a half and i limited there too. good day.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchmonkey View Post
in the deeper water at rr23 I real them up 10 ft then set the rod down and bring them up by hand. we went yesterday and caught 10 whites and a burb in 2 hrs, then went to Wilsons at gull for that last hour and a half and i limited there too. good day.
The way you said this....you went to sylvan and caught 10 whites, then went to gull and limited out as well implying you kept 20 whites? If so, that my friend is illegal and you are poaching. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:42 PM

He used "we" in his post, I guess there are at least 2 people, so should be fine?
Old 03-21-2011, 01:50 PM

Ok, he said we limited out...which means everyone who he is with used up the limit, but yet they had already 10? I hope this gets clarrifed....
Old 03-21-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
Ok, he said we limited out...which means everyone who he is with used up the limit, but yet they had already 10? I hope this gets clarrifed....
uh oh, the internet police are out and about The limit on sylvan and gull is 5 whites, hence you could limit out on both lakes and still be under the provincial limit.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
uh oh, the internet police are out and about The limit on sylvan and gull is 5 whites, hence you could limit out on both lakes and still be under the provincial limit.
You're right. My bad. Although the possession limit for pp2 zone is one days limit at one lake, right? Or am I reading that wrong.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:09 PM

You can retain ten whites a day in the province. Five at Sylvan and five more from Gull is the same as taking ten from Pigeon.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:46 PM

yup your right. If you read first ask questions latter I would appreciate it. dont like bieng called a poacher. " WE " would imply two people correct? so I can keep 5 from sylvan and five from gull. as can my son. Thats still just 10 a piece no matter how you slice it. hope that is clarified enough for you. Next time you accuse me of poaching know what your talking about first.http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/image...ghting0030.gif

Last edited by wrenchmonkey; 03-21-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:30 PM

i say limited out too dosent mean i kep em all either mabe what he does
Old 03-21-2011, 10:20 PM

true. WE only kept 15. Some of the whites on sylvan are pretty small. But legally we could have kept 5 apiece on each lake in one day. Province daily retention is 10. Where the confusion comes in is if you camped at said lake and fished multiple days your limit for that said lake would still be equal to one daily limit. however if you fish multiple lakes then the provincial limit of ten applies.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchmonkey View Post
true. WE only kept 15. Some of the whites on sylvan are pretty small. But legally we could have kept 5 apiece on each lake in one day. Province daily retention is 10. Where the confusion comes in is if you camped at said lake and fished multiple days your limit for that said lake would still be equal to one daily limit. however if you fish multiple lakes then the provincial limit of ten applies.
Right. I definitely had it wrong, I was thinking it was limit of 10 of sylvan and gull....sorry should have checked closer. So I apologize, my bad.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:03 AM

Default Great Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
Right. I definitely had it wrong, I was thinking it was limit of 10 of sylvan and gull....sorry should have checked closer. So I apologize, my bad.
There's a little bit misunderstanding, but it's all good. IT IS A GREAT DISCUSSION to clarify the regulations for most of other people. GREAT contribution from Wrenchmonkey and nicemustang as well as others.

It's why people come to this forum.

Tight line
Old 03-22-2011, 09:39 AM

Default How about this scenario?

I have been reading this thread and the regulations and I'm not sure of this. Look at this scenario. You are fishing at Gull and pull up a white which you kill. F/W, as they do quite often, are watching from shore and once they see that white, drive up and investigate. I don't think you are going to get away with the excuse that the other fish are from another lake. I think you are nailed for being over the limit. What do you think? Wrench, I know what you are going to say but look at this scenario. The regulations are vague as you read them and I am trying to learn from this also. I have always kept just 5 total from Sylvan and Gull on the same day. BEL
Old 03-22-2011, 02:55 PM

Interesting discussion. I sent an email to Alberta Sustainable Resource Development asking whether this would be legal or not. If I get a reply, I'll post their response.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:05 PM

Default Good idea

Good idea. You may want to ask if getting your limit of whites (5) on one lake excludes you from getting more on another lake on the same day in spite of the 10 possession limit. BEL
Old 03-22-2011, 04:58 PM

The way I interpret the regs is that as long as you're under the max possesion and don't exceed your limit in any one body of water, you should be able to catch your limit at both lakes. I think the grey area is that you'd have to prove that 5 came from Sylvan and 5 from Gull. This is similar to the post a few weeks back, where someone asked what happens if you catch a legal 'eye at Travers and then go fish at Mac or CVR and get checked.

I think it's the fisherman's job to prove where it was caught - how to prove it would be tough...a picture with the lake in the background? Maybe stop at a a sign by the lake before leaving? Who knows...

Just my two cents, but that's the way I'd interpret the regs...
Old 03-22-2011, 06:11 PM

Default A friend..

A friend of mine asked a park ranger a similar question only the way he phrased it was something like, if I let you (park ranger) know I caught this fish here, can I catch the same at such and such a lake. He said no. I would have to talk to him about the exact statement and fish in question. I almost think once you get your limit on one lake you are done for that species for the day. Hopefully, this discussion will let us know for sure. BEL
Old 03-22-2011, 09:49 PM

I don't think so Bel. the regs are the regs, and the limits are the limits. the provincial retention is in place for that reason, what else would it be there for? otherwise the said lakes limits would be sufficient. I can see the problem in proving where the fish were caught however. and point taken. from now on I will go home with first said limit before proceeding to next lake, or find something else that would suffice. that being said If you get a reasonable c/o it is fairly obvious by the size witch were caught where. but not worth the risk I suppose. however it is a scenario that I have never run into before as It was just a unique situation that caused me to have that opportunity. I was fishing sylvan but had to drop some things off at a friends near gull, so after limiting so fast on sylvan I figured what the heck, lets hit gull while were there. anyway it would be good to clarify for future I guess.