Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-22-2011, 11:31 AM

Default Fishing in the Okotoks area..

Im from way up north (by edmonton ) and im going to be down camping near Okotoks in June. The campground is right on the Sheep River. I plan to spend some time chucking flies and spinners in the Sheep but really have no idea what patterns or lures work there? Also what species of fish will i find in there? bulls, cutties, RMW, bows? Any tips for where the fish like to hide or just the typical places?

While i plan on putting most of my time in on the sheep i am also wondering what else there is around Okotoks for fishing? I have no real preference for species, all i can say is this is my first year with a flyrod.

Hopefully someone has some tips for this area!
Tight lines!!!
Old 03-22-2011, 11:40 AM

Depends when you are there. River is closed to all fishing until June 15. It's also hard to suggest exact places because the usual spring flooding really changes the river. Holes that are there one year are gone the next. Heck, sometimes the entire river shifts 40 yards. one way or the other.

But if you just walk upstream or downstream from the campground I'm sure you will find a few places to fish. Fly fishing is easier as much of the river is pretty shallow. As for fish, all I've ever pulled out are Rainbows and bulls, but the regs say cutthroats and mtn whitefish too.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:38 PM

7wt fly rod with a big weighted white and red streamer(cutty streamer) imatation with sink tip. fish in the faster water.
or use a cd-7,9 RNBW or BRTR color.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy View Post
Im from way up north (by edmonton ) and im going to be down camping near Okotoks in June. The campground is right on the Sheep River. I plan to spend some time chucking flies and spinners in the Sheep but really have no idea what patterns or lures work there? Also what species of fish will i find in there? bulls, cutties, RMW, bows? Any tips for where the fish like to hide or just the typical places?

While i plan on putting most of my time in on the sheep i am also wondering what else there is around Okotoks for fishing? I have no real preference for species, all i can say is this is my first year with a flyrod.

Hopefully someone has some tips for this area!
Tight lines!!!

frenzy look me up when you come down. if there is any water fishable at that time i'll take you for a walk. as late in june as you can would be best, but the water level can be all over the place at that time as well. are you staying in town or up in K country?

Dace
Old 03-22-2011, 06:24 PM

hey there, same thing which campground? bulls, rainbows, seen cutts, whitefish, suckers in lower reaches, also even have seen burbot pulled out of lower parts. besides the sheep there are a few creeks west of okotoks that can be fun to fish, depending if you are willing to go a ways highwood river is definatly very fishable as well or in the area where the highwood and the sheep join.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
frenzy look me up when you come down. if there is any water fishable at that time i'll take you for a walk. as late in june as you can would be best, but the water level can be all over the place at that time as well. are you staying in town or up in K country?

Dace
Thanks for the offer Dace, this is the campground http://www.riverbendcampground.ca/activities
Not sure if i will have time to "go for a walk" but i'll see!

Thanks for all the other advice guys! I'll take a look on google earth at some of the smaller creeks in the area.

EDIT: Looks like im gonna be there the weekend of the 11-12th.. does anything open before that? i see the sheep doesnt open until 15th