Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-21-2017, 11:18 AM

Default stillwater leaders

Hi all just wondering what leader setups folks use for Lake fishing....ie.under an indy....or behind a sinking line...thanks
Old 10-21-2017, 12:30 PM

straight bulk fluorocarbon. usually 6-10 feet when stripping a sinking line, and whatever you need for the appropriate depth under an indicator. doesn't turn over nicely like a tapered leader will, but neither does a bobber rig, and streamer landings don't need to be pretty

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 10-21-2017, 01:41 PM

Under an indicator: 6'-15' 15# fluoro leader --(swivel)--> 18' 6#-8# fluoro line

With a full sink line or sink tip: 2' 20# fluoro leader --(tippet ring)--> 2' 8#-15# fluoro tippet

Floating or Intermediate line: 4' 20# fluoro leader --(double uni knot)--> 4' 15# fluoro leader --(tippet ring)--> 2' 8#-12# fluoro tippet

For pike, all the line test are doubled and the tippet is replaced with 40# titanium wire to a Mustad fastach clip.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
straight bulk fluorocarbon. usually 6-10 feet when stripping a sinking line, and whatever you need for the appropriate depth under an indicator. doesn't turn over nicely like a tapered leader will, but neither does a bobber rig, and streamer landings don't need to be pretty
That's what I do!
Old 10-22-2017, 07:11 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks fellas....tight lines
Old 10-22-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
Under an indicator: 6'-15' 15# fluoro leader --(swivel)--> 18' 6#-8# fluoro line

With a full sink line or sink tip: 2' 20# fluoro leader --(tippet ring)--> 2' 8#-15# fluoro tippet

Floating or Intermediate line: 4' 20# fluoro leader --(double uni knot)--> 4' 15# fluoro leader --(tippet ring)--> 2' 8#-12# fluoro tippet

For pike, all the line test are doubled and the tippet is replaced with 40# titanium wire to a Mustad fastach clip.
Scel; Thanks for this.I have been looking for a quick ease fly change out ,for pike
Old 10-22-2017, 11:35 AM

Indicator fishing I usually use 9 ft fluoro leaders with enough fluoro tippet to fish the depth I want.

Trolling depends on the fly. For larger stuff like zonkers, streamers etc I use 4-8 feet of 8 lb fluoro line. For small leech patterns etc I usually use 3x fluoro tippet(just tie a bit onto the fluoro line I have as a leader).

If you are ever fishing an indicator in really shallow water or other topwater or subsurface flies mono leaders are nice because they float. Mono also can be handy for some trolling on the bottom using a fast sinking line and a floating fly. The fluoro is really nice for indicator and trolling since it sinks but your leader needs to be the right length for the depth you fish.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
Scel; Thanks for this.I have been looking for a quick ease fly change out ,for pike
I like the smallest berkley cross-lok swivels. High quality, very strong, rarely pop open accidentally and the smallest size is super light as well.

Can't remember if they are 20 or 25 lb, lots of places only sell the 30 but if you look around can find the smaller ones(WSS was my go to...).
Old 10-22-2017, 04:20 PM

I would suggest not using Fluoro between your fly line and your indicator (as it sinks and interferes with hook sets). Better to use Maxima or something else for the upper part of the leader and then fluorocarbon down near the flies.
I really like 12 and 10lb Seaguar fluoro for attaching flies. For the top part, a few feet of 20lb Maxima followed by a length of 15lb Maxima gives lots of room to set the indicator. Then I just use a few feet of fluorocarbon above the flies.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:18 PM

I'm lazy. For longer leaders for indie or naked I use Rio 10' Indicator leaders as my top base and then any length of fluoro you need. I've been using Vanish in 12, 10, 8 and 6 lb lately.