Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-07-2017, 10:10 PM

Default Nosler BT 125 gr in 308 - Opinions?

Hi all,

I am new to reloading and beginning to develop a load for my 308.

I have been looking at options and saw Nosler's Ballistic Tip loading data for the 125gr. This is a lighter bullet than most of the other data i have seen and am curious to see what other people's opinions on such a load development is.

Obviously there is no way to know if my rifle could like the load unless I try it, but there is a wealth of knowledge on here that I would be foolish not to take advantage of.

The intent is a hunting load, with some managed recoil, suitable for deer.

Thanks in advance for thoughts and opinions

-M
Old 03-07-2017, 10:43 PM

It can certainly be done. I've loaded a Hornady 100gr RN in a 300WM for some fun shooting and they worked great.

The bullets in that weight are generally produced for the Blackout but can definitely be loaded in a .308 cartridge and would make a great whitetail round with lowered recoil. The data is out there so there's no reason not to try it. It would be like a fast 7.62x39 which itself is a great whitetail cartridge at shorter ranges.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:51 PM

I've shot a lot of game with that bullet and cartridge combination. It worked extremely well.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-08-2017, 12:11 AM

i would wonder how fast they would explode and what kind of penetration you would get. its pretty short and stubby. I am also developing a low recoil round for introducing new shooters to 308. I am trying 110 grain TTSX all copper. hopefully it stays together for hunting purposes.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:49 AM

I personally shy away from very light for caliber bullets. I'm sure it's possible for it to shoot just fine, but to shoot a bullet in the low 100's gr I would head to a .243. 150 is about as low as I go with .308. Just my opinion.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:33 PM

Nosler makes good bullets I like there accubonds, but the BT unless its for varmints has a really bad habit of shedding its jacket on impact an this can cause there to be issues in penetration and damage, if you hit something solid like bone...... well then deer sized game+ you see really poor performance.

I would recommend the accubonds, or there inter bonds with the two part lead core for better results (classic). I use there BT for hunting yotes so the jacket disapation is more beneficial for that type of hunting# rapid expansion properties.

All In all load them and shoot em to make up your own mind is the only way to be sure. Most likely it will kill anything it hits with good shot placement .
Old 03-08-2017, 12:54 PM

I used them in a 308 BLR & Win. 100 semi ,they shot well but I never shot any game with them.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500+BC View Post
Nosler makes good bullets I like there accubonds, but the BT unless its for varmints has a really bad habit of shedding its jacket on impact an this can cause there to be issues in penetration and damage, if you hit something solid like bone...... well then deer sized game+ you see really poor performance.

I would recommend the accubonds, or there inter bonds with the two part lead core for better results (classic). I use there BT for hunting yotes so the jacket disapation is more beneficial for that type of hunting# rapid expansion properties.

All In all load them and shoot em to make up your own mind is the only way to be sure. Most likely it will kill anything it hits with good shot placement .
I shot a buck last year and managed to recover my 150gr nosler BT from it. Jacket seemed to hold together fairly well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0855.jpg (51.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0856.jpg (53.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 03-09-2017, 09:40 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I know it's a little on the smaller end, but ill load it up and see how the rifle likes it and if I can get good accuracy out of it, we'll see how it works for whitetail this fall!

Thanks again,
-M