Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-07-2017, 07:46 PM

Default Barrel, Scope or Action problem???

Please bear with me and read all of this post. I really need help!
I have a 25+ year old WBY Fibre Mark that I have had Blocked, Bedded and re-barrelled by Wolf of Wolf's guns on Argyll, so you know how long ago this was. Wolf put a contour 6 Shillian barrel in 300WBY 1 in 10 twist. I know that some of you will laugh when I say this, after Wolf completed the work the rifle shot sub 1/2" MOA, yea right a WBY shooting a 1/2"sub MOA. but it did. After a couple of thousand rounds down the pipe, that was the end of the groupings, so I took the rifle to Karl at KS Arms Edmonton. He was to put a Ron Smith gain twist barrel on for me (which I was to find out later he did not put on the gain twist barrel). Well after a numerous trips to the range, buying a number of different powders, bullets, primers and 3 different types of brass from different manufacturers. I took the rifle to Ron Smith down in Wemborne (this when I found out that the barrel the Karl put on was not a gain twist). I had Ron put a 22-10 Gain twist contour 6 barrel on in 340 WBY and I still can not get a group under 2".

So here are my question:
Is there any way of telling if the problems are with the barrel, scope or the action.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:00 PM

Trial and error. Replace the scope with a known good one, and inspect the mounting system, and see if groups improve. It's unlikely to be the action. Also unlikely to have two bum premium barrels in a row. I'm guessing scope/mounting or ammunition. Are you shooting handloads?
Old 03-07-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckhunter1 View Post
I have a 25+ year old WBY Fibre Mark that I have had Blocked, Bedded and re-barrelled by Wolf of Wolf's guns on Argyll, so you know how long ago this was. Wolf put a contour 6 Shillian barrel in 300WBY 1 in 10 twist. I know that some of you will laugh when I say this, after Wolf completed the work the rifle shot sub 1/2" MOA, yea right a WBY shooting a 1/2"sub MOA. but it did. After a couple of thousand rounds down the pipe, that was the end of the groupings, so I took the rifle to Karl at KS Arms Edmonton. He was to put a Ron Smith gain twist barrel on for me (which I was to find out later he did not put on the gain twist barrel). Well after a numerous trips to the range, buying a number of different powders, bullets, primers and 3 different types of brass from different manufacturers. I took the rifle to Ron Smith down in Wemborne (this when I found out that the barrel the Karl put on was not a gain twist). I had Ron put a 22-10 Gain twist contour 6 barrel on in 340 WBY and I still can not get a group under 2".

So here are my question:
Is there any way of telling if the problems are with the barrel, scope or the action.
I wouldn't change any hardware right away. New loads will have to be found ,or developed for the new barrel.
Being it's a new RKS I think the barrel won't disappoint and once your new loads are established it will likely shoot very well for you. Whether you realize sub MOA groups is a wait and see thing but to get the groups you were getting with your old WBY hummer barrel may be a real stretch
Good Luck.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:

So here are my question:
1st custom shillen barrel shot great then quit shooting good, so you had a Ron smith barrel put on, even if it wasn't a gain twist it should have shot good, then that barrel was changed out for another Ron Smith Gain twist which should also be shooting good. This tells me it isn't the 3 custom barrels that are a problem, I think your scope went bad on the first shillen barrel and you should have replaced the scope instead of changing barrels.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:

So here are my question:
1st custom shillen barrel shot great then quit shooting good, so you had a Ron smith barrel put on, even if it wasn't a gain twist it should have shot good, then that barrel was changed out for another Ron Smith Gain twist which should also be shooting good. This tells me it isn't the 3 custom barrels that are a problem, I think your scope went bad on the first shillen barrel and you should have replaced the scope instead of changing barrels. About 90% of the time when a gun stops shooting good it is the scope that has gone wonky.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:14 PM

Firing pin spring weakened or hanging up? I would disassemble bolt and remove inards, clean and reassemble dry, eratic lock time would cause accuracy problems.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:59 AM

I would switch out the scope just to see if there was a problem with the original before going too much further. Use some of your 2 inch group ammo so you have a benchmark to test the scope theory.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:56 AM

Did I understand your OP right, that the last barrel transitioned from 22 down to 8 twist?
Old 03-08-2017, 09:38 AM

He is getting 2" groups with the new RKS barrel so I'm rather skeptical as to the 'scope being the real issue. No mention of the load or bullet he's using in that WBY chamber but if he can shrink those groups by 1/2" to 3/4 in. I would think he's probably doing OK .
Old 03-08-2017, 11:23 AM

Are you using reloads or factory stuff.
Ron will stand behind his barrels if its a barrel problem.
Like others have said try a proven scope.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Did I understand your OP right, that the last barrel transitioned from 22 down to 8 twist?
No... 22' - 10".

Quote:

I had Ron put a 22-10 Gain twist...