Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-05-2017, 10:25 AM

Default Savage 340 Educate me,

So 28 years ago I was given a Savage 340B, there is a C stamped right after the B but slightly lower. It is chambered in .222 and I've never shot it.

It has a garbage scope on it with a goofy weaver side mount base.

Is there any possibility of making this a usable varmint rifle

I assume the accuracy is not great as the action is only secured on one stud and then the barrel is banded in the fore stock

Could it be rechambered to something more usable

Most of these are questions but for some reason my tablet changed my question mark in to this é

Thank you
Old 03-05-2017, 10:54 AM

They make a good gun for on a tractor, in a farm pick up , or behind the door in case of an incidental chance at a varmint,
As far as making them a dedicated varmint rifles, no there are better choices.
Cat
Old 03-05-2017, 11:06 AM

I have had a few of these in the 222 and they are quite accurate. They off course don't cycle as smoothly as newer rifles and you may have to stretch out the magazine spring a little if it's not feeding properly. They still sell for approx. 325 to 375. Put a better scope on it and it will still serve as a great varmint getter.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:16 AM

Devcon the action and full barrel. Take off the barrel clamps or Devcon it in place when you do the full channel. If there is only the front action screw that goes into the recoil lug you can add a rear one pretty easy if the Devcon doesn't hold it tight enough, though my bet is it will. Only time you would find this absolutely necessary is if you wanted to free float the barrel.

With that minor fix most of them will easily shoot an inch at 100 yards. Plenty good for Coyotes to 400 yards. Also great for other varmints. They aren't an expensive gun but like most Savages they do shoot well. Don't try hot hand loads, the action isn't made for that. Stick to reasonable pressure loads. Let us know how you make out with it.

Last edited by Dean2; 03-05-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
So 28 years ago I was given a Savage 340B, there is a C stamped right after the B but slightly lower. It is chambered in .222 and I've never shot it.

I assume the accuracy is not great as the action is only secured on one stud and then the barrel is banded in the fore stock

Most of these are questions but for some reason my tablet changed my question mark in to this é

Thank you
Purchased one that the kids learned to hunt with. Worked well for my two, as well as several others that learned with it. Reloaded for it, and was as accurate as any other bolt action. Still has open sights and is a 222.
Try it out, it may surprise you in a good way..
Old 03-05-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Purchased one that the kids learned to hunt with. Worked well for my two, as well as several others that learned with it. Reloaded for it, and was as accurate as any other bolt action. Still has open sights and is a 222.
The 340's I worked with although they made acceptebld accuracy after quite a bit of work were nowhere near as accurate as any of my guns with two or three lug bolts and at least two action screws , whether they were Savage , BSA, or any other brand .
All of my break action H&R break action rifles were more accurate as well
Like I stated before, they make a good truck gun but that is it .
I wouldn't put much time into them but others might
Cat
Old 03-05-2017, 02:46 PM
Banned

Quote:

Thank you
The " goofy weaver side mount is what you get, all there is, live with it

I've owned and shot several Savage 340 bolt actions, .22hornet , .222 , 225Winchester and 30-30 Winchester they all shot well, the light calibers plenty good for beaver, woodchucks and yoties,

The .225Winchester was devastating to say the least, with velocities racing close to 4000 fps,
The 30-30 I used to dump a couple moose and several deer, had no problems with it either

The my only regret was getting rid of the .225 Win model 340

I still have one, in 30-30 Win , it is absolutely pristine like the day it left the factory, the detachable magazine is handy for sure, these rifles are light and short, handy for certain .
Old 03-05-2017, 03:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Ok, but do you wear a paper bag on your head when you shoot yours?
Old 03-05-2017, 03:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
They are a bit oogly , but so am I, I mostly hunt alone just for that reason
Old 03-05-2017, 04:45 PM

I got one in 30-30. It's a good shooter. It's an antique and an interesting bolt action so no bag over head needed to shoot in public. Not like a modern savage😀
Old 03-05-2017, 04:54 PM
Banned

Default Smart ass.LOL

Quote:
I have learned to look the other way.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
All rifles are equally accurate when you have a bag over your head and you can't see.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:58 PM

Due to the way the receiver is designed with the cut On the top of the receiver the side mount is all that is available
Old 03-05-2017, 09:04 PM

Years ago I inherited a 30-30 version in pristine shape, bought new by my uncle in 1955. It shot well but mounting a scope was a pain and I am getting a bit old for irons. I recall the trigger was creepy and heavy, about 8 lbs. It was sold along with a bunch of old iron to fund a nice trap shotgun, but I regret selling it still...it would make a good starter for a kid to learn on.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:39 PM

Had two of them, a 222 and a 22 hornet. Don't miss them at all.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:23 PM

I had one in .222 and it was pretty accurate. Love that cartridge don't know why you would want to change it.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:09 PM
Banned

Quote:

Thank you
Dont' do it. As a varmint caliber, what could be more effective than your basic triple deuce? I'm sure there are some. However, consider the cost of re-chambering. It would cost you much more than what the gun is worth. Honestly, the 340's may be suitable as a tractor or truck gun. But, they don't hold much value due to the design. If you've ever heard of the analogy of "putting lipstick on a pig", rechambering this gun would certainly fit in.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Dont' do it. As a varmint caliber, what could be more effective than your basic triple deuce? I'm sure there are some. However, consider the cost of re-chambering. It would cost you much more than what the gun is worth. Honestly, the 340's may be suitable as a tractor or truck gun. But, they don't hold much value due to the design. If you've ever heard of the analogy of "putting lipstick on a pig", rechambering this gun would certainly fit in.
Exactly, you can go to WSS or other similar Gunshop and buy a brand new Savage ( pig without lipstick ) bolt action with a cheap scope and mounts for about $400 ,,, and this " pig without lipstick will have a GENUINE plastic stock " quality and value about the same ( maybe ? ) as the 340 from 50 years ago,,
Old 03-07-2017, 04:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
Exactly, you can go to WSS or other similar Gunshop and buy a brand new Savage ( pig without lipstick ) bolt action with a cheap scope and mounts for about $400 ,,, and this " pig without lipstick will have a GENUINE plastic stock " quality and value about the same ( maybe ? ) as the 340 from 50 years ago,,
Actually, I just dropped into Fly's Etc. today.....why? I don't know, I was buying groceries, and my truck went into "auto mode". Anyhow, they have a shipment of Norinco .222 Rems in there for $400.00. Oh boy! the guys there tried real hard to sell me one...LOL, but I din't bite. Mind you, I can still smell the cosmoline on my hands.