Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-26-2024, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
Unions and pension liabilities are the reason for the massive price increases.
Maybe that or simply what the market will bear. Since COVID people were insane acting like there would never be a new vehicle built again, much the same for the used market. When people were fighting to get through the door of dealerships and offering MSRP or over MSRP you don’t think that the manufacturers and dealers took notice? It’s almost the same with bidding wars when buying a home, I don’t get why people can’t exercise a little bit of patience and common sense to save themselves a ton of money. But I guess if everyone is doing it……..
Old 02-26-2024, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
And hear I thought 14L/100km was good in my LBZ.
My 03 6.0 gas gets 19L/100km down wind.
With diesel .30 more a litre it's a wash.
Thats what i was getting in my HD3500 6L engine was around 19L/100
Normally drive it on hyw with out tail gait on because i took it off because of camper .
Goggled it and they say you get better milage with tail gait on .
So I threw it back on and now getting around 16 -17 L /100km
Old 02-26-2024, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I’d rather be outdoors View Post
10 years ago, 40-50k was including all the bells & whistles. There’s no excuse now for $100k trucks even factoring in inflation. The dealers are greedy and get away with it because some people have more money (/debt) than brains. Gotta keep up this the Jones’s syndrome. Keeping my >10 year old truck forever. Stealerships can go to hell.
A lot that goes into a fully loaded truck now was not even available 10 years ago. There is a new 23 GMC Elevation for $57,000 in RD right now with probably as many bells and whistles as most anyone would want. There was 0% financing on these as well but I am not sure of the promotions right now.

I don't get the upgrades that gets a really nice 1500 truck from $60,000 to well over $100,000.
Old 02-26-2024, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
A lot that goes into a fully loaded truck now was not even available 10 years ago. There is a new 23 GMC Elevation for $57,000 in RD right now with probably as many bells and whistles as most anyone would want. There was 0% financing on these as well but I am not sure of the promotions right now.

I don't get the upgrades that gets a really nice 1500 truck from $60,000 to well over $100,000.
There's a lot of computers in the truck that weren't in them before. Many of them cost a lot.

Buddy of mine bought a clean title run and drive truck from salvage auction. Think it was a 19 f150. Truck was mint condition and ran, but was acting all screwy. No climate control, no radio, and all kinds of other problems. Turns out that a cracked tail light let water in, screwed up the blindspot radar in that taillight, and it sent all kinds of funky signals to another computer in the truck, and the whole screw up would have cost about $27k for Ford to replace the computers. I haven't heard the final outcome of this story. I told him there might be places he could send the computers to to repair the circuit boards.

That's why when the farm was looking for a new truck, I didn't want to go newer than a 10 Duramax. Dumb crap like that.
Old 02-26-2024, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
There's a lot of computers in the truck that weren't in them before. Many of them cost a lot.

Buddy of mine bought a clean title run and drive truck from salvage auction. Think it was a 19 f150. Truck was mint condition and ran, but was acting all screwy. No climate control, no radio, and all kinds of other problems. Turns out that a cracked tail light let water in, screwed up the blindspot radar in that taillight, and it sent all kinds of funky signals to another computer in the truck, and the whole screw up would have cost about $27k for Ford to replace the computers. I haven't heard the final outcome of this story. I told him there might be places he could send the computers to to repair the circuit boards.

That's why when the farm was looking for a new truck, I didn't want to go newer than a 10 Duramax. Dumb crap like that.
On two occasions my 2010 GMC lite up the traction control and ABS lights. One time it went into a limp mode and I thought I might be spending the night in the bush. The front wheels/brakes got screaming hot.

Both of these happened in grouse season and I always get the truck tuned up for November. I took it to my mechanic and he couldn't find the issue and accused me of riding the brakes looking for grouse. This was perhaps true but I have been looking for grouse for 40 years without issue.

About two weeks ago on come the lights again. I go home, shut it down and the lights go out, front wheels hot. The next morning it won't shift out of park and the lights are on. If I let it sit the lights go out but if you touch the brake, on comes the lights and of course no shift. I am immediately thinking brake switch and sure enough the brake lights are suddenly not coming on.

Turns out that the brake light switch was causing all these problems all along. It will also cause problems with your torque converter and cruise control as we learned in my son's Ram.

In all fairness, the first and early symptom of brake switch failure is problems with the cruise control. I never use cruise so never got the warning.
Old 02-26-2024, 05:45 PM

This happened on my 2010 Chev but it was the throttle cable assembly..
Now that part is included in a class action lawsuit.
WDF