Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2018, 04:06 PM

Default Minors and Alcohol

Sorry, not outdoorsy related, but can someone tell me if it is illegal or otherwise for my teenager (16) to drink alcohol at her friend's house with her friend's parents present? I was always under the impression that it was only allowed in the actual parent's home (not someone elses house) and only if the actual parent/guardian of the teen was present. Can someone point me to the official laws stating this info?

Thanks!
Old 05-26-2018, 04:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runewolf1973 View Post
Sorry, not outdoorsy related, but can someone tell me if it is illegal or otherwise for my teenager (16) to drink alcohol at her friend's house with her friend's parents present? I was always under the impression that it was only allowed in the actual parent's home (not someone elses house) and only if the actual parent/guardian of the teen was present. Can someone point me to the official laws stating this info?

Thanks!
You can look up yourself the 70 page gaming and liquor act...but as this article states http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...tion-1.4120895 it is illegal for an adult to provide liquor to a minor...and that includes parents.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:01 PM

I'd say it is illegal as well....but with grad season present how exactly does that all work??
Old 05-26-2018, 06:38 PM

Here is your choice: your 16 years old will have a drink regardless if you want it or not. It’s way better if she has a drink at a friends house with adults present and monitoring the consumption and quality of the alcohol than somewhere in a back alley drinking god knows what.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:46 PM

In Italy, it is a custom to give kids as young as 12 a sip of wine at dinner with the family. Kids are usually told things like "it will give you a headache so u should have just a little". Some studies believe that that may be the reason why alcoholism rates are low in Italy. As it was never taboo to drink and therefore there is no excitement in it for teenagers. Who knows , maybe it is true.

Do what you think is right for you and your family
Old 05-26-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Here is your choice: your 16 years old will have a drink regardless if you want it or not. It’s way better if she has a drink at a friends house with adults present and monitoring the consumption and quality of the alcohol than somewhere in a back alley drinking god knows what.
I agree, specially for a girl. There are just too many creeps out there who would do unspeakable things to get a drink girl into bed. From over serving to drugging to luring
Old 05-26-2018, 08:24 PM
Banned

Don't get me wrong...the odd supervised drink is not going to harm you teen.
The OP asked if it was illegal...it is.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Don't get me wrong...the odd supervised drink is not going to harm you teen.
The OP asked if it was illegal...it is.
Thanks!
Old 05-26-2018, 08:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
This all the way...

My mother knew she couldn't stop me from partying and having fun. But the rule was, you get caught by the cops, don't call home - deal with it. That was very fair.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
This all the way...

My mother knew she couldn't stop me from partying and having fun. But the rule was, you get caught by the cops, don't call home - deal with it. That was very fair.
It’s different with girls since they are usually an easier target for idiots. I told my girl that she can call me any time of the day or night if she feels that the company she is with or in is unsafe. And that I will not ask any questions or get mad for waking me up at night. She did it twice when she was in her late teens early twenties.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
This all the way...

I wasn't really asking this from a moral standpoint. I know full well that I can't stop her from doing whatever she wants to do. What I did want is to know specifically if it was illegal or not. Her friend is going on telling her that her drinking underage is legal so she thinks nothing of it. I want her to know what the actual law states so that she can make a more informed decision and know the consequences of her actions. Kids don't think about consequences...don't know if they ever have but... As a parent I would tell her I don't approve of it, but if you must do it, just be forewarned that it isn't legal and there are indeed consequences....potentially big ones.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:04 PM

Quote:
I wasn't really asking this from a moral standpoint. I know full well that I can't stop her from doing whatever she wants to do. What I did want is to know specifically if it was illegal or not. Her friend is going on telling her that her drinking underage is legal so she thinks nothing of it. I want her to know what the actual law states so that she can make a more informed decision and know the consequences of her actions. Kids don't think about consequences...don't know if they ever have but... As a parent I would tell her I don't approve of it, but if you must do it, just be forewarned that it isn't legal and there are indeed consequences....potentially big ones.
Well said
Old 05-27-2018, 12:25 AM

Quote:
It’s different with girls since they are usually an easier target for idiots. I told my girl that she can call me any time of the day or night if she feels that the company she is with or in is unsafe. And that I will not ask any questions or get mad for waking me up at night. She did it twice when she was in her late teens early twenties.
That's great that you did that for her. My mother told me I could call her anytime when I was out drinking and needed a ride home or something... the one time I called her to pick me up she yelled at me all the way home lol...
Old 05-27-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
I know full well that I can't stop her from doing whatever she wants to do..

You are the parent, so, yes, you can.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren32 View Post
well said .
Old 05-27-2018, 08:00 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren32 View Post
Locked to the kitchen table?
You can educate but good luck stopping, best spend time parenting and when the choice or choices hit the kids they have the proper parenting to make the right choice.

Illegal to answer the question.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-27-2018, 08:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
This all the way...

My opinion... Fair enough!!!
Old 05-27-2018, 08:44 AM

Post 2 looks like a good reading assignment, my mom made my brother and I read through similar documents and explain to her afterwards what was learned after a friends house party run amock.

Starting drinking/ anything illegal while young is not a good start.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:33 AM

It's not legal. It's enabling an illegal act. It's a chargeable offense against the parents/adults who provided alcohol knowingly to minors (so called parents/adults). Some things can and should stay in the home (your home)........your children going to someone else's home where alcohol is provided by parents/adults is somewhere to tell your kids to stay away from........not supporting this.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:53 AM

I found it. Taken from Alberta liquor/gaming act.

Minors 87(3) An adult who is the parent, guardian or spouse or adult interdependent partner of a minor and who is in lawful possession of liquor may give the liquor to a minor in a residence or a temporary residence.

Last edited by ctd; 05-27-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Locked to the kitchen table?
You can educate but good luck stopping, best spend time parenting and when the choice or choices hit the kids they have the proper parenting to make the right choice.

Illegal to answer the question.
Well said ! Ironically that's illegal !
Old 05-27-2018, 10:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post

Minors 87(3) An adult who is the parent, guardian or spouse or adult interdependent partner of a minor and who is in lawful possession of liquor may give the liquor to a minor in a residence or a temporary residence.
Just read that as well, interesting, learn something new every day
Old 05-27-2018, 10:10 AM

There’s no wins in this scenario.

The law is the law.

But also kids will be kids.

Worse yet when your child is socially accepted and of a gregarious type.

Go forth fully knowledgeable of the pit falls, but also with an open mind.

This is the single most contraversial and well as contradictory issue I’ve had to deal with when my kids were teens.

Yes we allowed our children to drink as teens.

Don’t expect any gory details on the issue, let’s just say we found a set of ground rules that worked, and a way to make it more or less work.

Raising a teen can be one of the more challenging parts of parenting.

At the end of it all, both children stayed out of most of the bigger troubles, graduated high school, and are now contributing to society, both having jobs, and careers. One has a trade ticket(red seal) the other is working towards a trade.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-27-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cycp-cpcj/dr-al/al-eng.htm
Old 05-27-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
Does that mean it is legal for my sons bff s parents to give my son alcohol without my consent. Theoretically speaking?
Old 05-27-2018, 10:23 AM

IMO- Kids are going to experiment with things like this no matter what. I think keeping an open communication is a better approach than banning it outright.

To me it seemed like the ones who were allowed to have a few drinks before legal age at a sleep over ect were the ones that drank less come grad parties bush parties ect because the taboo and rebellious part wasn't there.

Some of the worst drinking episodes I have ever seen were the ones who were never allowed to go to parties but they would sneak out to one. Parents had no idea they were there and they were bound and determined to catch up on all the parties they had missed. Those same kids were the ones that would do anything to avoid their parents finding out including sleeping outside in the grass or catching a ride with someone who shouldn't be driving but had to get home before sun up or face punishment.

One of my friends has always kept an open dialog with his daughter over these kind of things. They talk about possible problems, creeps, drunk driving ect. He will even pick her up a 4 pk of light coolers to take with her to parties. She is only 17! He has always told her to call for anything. Recently he got a call at 2 am. She knew she wouldn't be in trouble so she called. The reason she called was their DD had started drinking and everyone was leaving the party. He went and picked her up, no punishment. What do you think she will do next time compaired to the parent who bans drinking and has their kid sneak out?

These are just my 2 cents because I have not gotten to that point yet but with my daughter being 9 coming on 16 it's been on my mind lately.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition View Post
Does that mean it is legal for my sons bff s parents to give my son alcohol without my consent. Theoretically speaking?
That is specifically what I wanted to know. I don't care if she wants a drink with me present as her dad, but if someone other than her own parents is providing her with alcohol illegally then there is my concern.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:34 AM
Banned

Quote:

I had no idea......
Wow... I learn something new every day...
Old 05-27-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post

Lol comming from the same website that changed the firearms rules withbout a change in law. Semms like ZNN news.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I had no idea......
Wow... I learn something new every day...
Well...it doesn't say friends or acquaintances so...I guess that must be that. Her friend's parents I do not consider "guardians" either considering I've never even met them before.