Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-31-2023, 06:29 PM

Default Dirt bikes on crown land ?

Back in the day off road bikes needed to have a front light and plates and insurance to ride on crown land .
Do they still need a front light ?
Old 07-31-2023, 06:59 PM

Yes

https://imgur.com/a/VIdPWzr
Old 07-31-2023, 07:07 PM

Still need all of those things. Front and rear light, license plate, valid insurance and registration, forestry approved spark arrestor, and a helmet.
Old 07-31-2023, 07:22 PM

What about the yearly public land enjoyment pass as well? Is that required for day use? Or just camping?

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2023, 10:41 PM

So my crf 230 isn’t legal to ride on crown land trails? I’ve been checked and no issue.
Old 08-01-2023, 05:26 AM

If your crf230 doesn't have a taillight and a headlight... it is not legal, the person who checked you must have been lenient that day
Old 08-03-2023, 06:36 AM

I have never been hassled about a head light on the bike or the race trike just checked the paperwork and have a good day. That even at bighorn dam.
Old 08-03-2023, 06:42 AM

Could have swore you only needed a headlight and taillight if you rode on public roads.
I better look into it.
Old 08-03-2023, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
I have never been hassled about a head light on the bike or the race trike just checked the paperwork and have a good day. That even at bighorn dam.
I have been in groups including motocross bikes with no lights, and no issues, as long as they were registered and insured.
Old 08-03-2023, 01:39 PM

We ride at McLean a fair amount. I'll say that the enforcement people aren't out there to ruin anyone's day. If you're a jack*ss or if the guy that they just checked was a jack*ss, they might be a bit stickier about the rules.

The rules say that you need front and rear lights, a plate and insurance. If you don't have the lights you're taking your chances.
Old 08-03-2023, 02:51 PM

Right from the Regulations.

Headlamps

5(1) No person shall drive an off‑highway vehicle in a public place unless there are mounted on the front of that off‑highway vehicle one or 2 headlamps that comply with this section.

(2) The light from a headlamp must be white, and the lens and bulb of the headlamp must be made of clear untinted glazing.

(3) The headlamps must be of sufficient intensity to reveal a person, another vehicle or a thing that is at least 60 metres ahead.

(4) The headlamps must be aimed so that, on a straight level surface, the high intensity portion of the beam will not shine in the eyes of an approaching driver.

(5) No person shall attach or apply anything that colours the light from a headlamp to the headlamp, part of the headlamp or a bulb in the headlamp.

Tail lamps

6(1) No person shall drive an off‑highway vehicle in a public place unless the off‑highway vehicle has at least one tail lamp mounted on the rear of the off‑highway vehicle.

(2) The tail lamp on the rear of an off‑highway vehicle must be capable of emitting a red light that is visible from at least 60 metres to the rear.

(3) A light on the rear of an off‑highway vehicle must be red.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 08-05-2023, 10:55 AM

I have never heard of that. People with dual sports remove the tail light to go ride public land up here. If the law is written to apply to Crown land and dirt bikes, it is absolutely ignored by any leo that I or anyone I know who rides dirt bike on the heavily enforced trial system here.
Old 08-05-2023, 11:27 AM

It’s been headlight and tail light and plate for as long as I can remember. And they check down here in the south of the province. Some areas must just be more lenient than others.
Old 08-05-2023, 10:25 PM

Kind of a stupid rule if only riding in the day time. Would a headlamp wrapped around the front be legal? Guess they cant prove if the light shined 185 ft in the day time.