Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgill808 View Post
Costco takes returns on matresses and underwear. Don't even need the receipt.
Note to self: Don't buy underwear at Costco.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntnut View Post
Note to self: Don't buy underwear at Costco.
LOL really
Old 03-20-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Sage Valley, I do think you have a valid point. They should have taken it back. IF there is a gray area, a store that cares about customer service will always take it back, even if they have to throw it away afterwards. And I don't even think there is a gray area here. The store has a return policy. Absent specific exclusions that are pointed out to buyers in advance of the purchase, that general return policy applies.

That said, I don't care if there is a demo display or not. I would have opened the package and checked it out before I took it to the checkout. I never buy a box of something I have never seen. I'll cut that box of decoys, for example, open and look at them, put one together, etc.

Get as much gear as you can from MEC. Guaranteed they would have taken it back.
really ... the store can take a loss for an experiment at home ? reminds when the consumers price of energy is lower than returns ... have we heard that whining before ...now what's the story ...every company is in business to make money...JMO

Last edited by Rio56; 03-20-2017 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camshaft View Post
That's not what I'm saying....I'm only stating in black and white terms that there is no "law" requiring a business to do anything. Are there other options and recourse, absolutely (store mgr, regional mgr, head office, media etc) But regardless, if the store says no, who do u think ur gunna call at that time to force the store to issue u a refund or take the product back?
Now you are just being obstinate. Consumer affairs in Alberta would be the first place. They will intervene with vendors who don't honour their published return polices. You also have the option to take them to small claims court if the dollar value is high enough to warrant the effort.

Service Alberta, Consumer Contact Centre
3rd Floor Commerce Place
10155-102 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4G8
Telephone: 780-427-4088
Toll Free: 1-877-427-4088
Email: service.alberta@gov.ab.ca

See post 48 in this thread for a very good detailed explanation, and that is only a part of the rights you have under the law..
Old 03-20-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio56 View Post
really ... the store can take a loss for an experiment at home ? reminds when the consumers price of energy is lower than returns ... have we heard that whining before ...now what's the story ...every company is in business to make money...JMO
Top stores take a loss all the time when goods are not satisfactory, and it builds customer loyalty and long-term profits. MEC or Eddie Bauer will take stuff back you've worn for a month and are no longer satisfied with. I've taken boots back to Wholesale Sports. I'm not saying every company has to do that. Just expect that consumers like me will shop at stores that do. There are two stores competing. One offers easy returns, the other doesn't. Why on earth would I shop at the latter? For me, and many others, service is as important price. Charge me $2 more to cover your generous return policy. I couldn't care less.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Top stores take a loss all the time when goods are not satisfactory, and it builds customer loyalty and long-term profits. MEC or Eddie Bauer will take stuff back you've worn for a month and are no longer satisfied with. I've taken boots back to Wholesale Sports. I'm not saying every company has to do that. Just expect that consumers like me will shop at stores that do. There are two stores competing. One offers easy returns, the other doesn't. Why on earth would I shop at the latter? For me, and many others, service is as important price. Charge me $2 more to cover your generous return policy. I couldn't care less.
ok...
all I'm saying is there's a reason the small business in Alberta and Canada for that matter is gone , and that's profit .... We call service the BEST price and stock to where it's a loser for the company .. retail is not kind .. There's been numerous threads about Wholesale , Cabela's and Bass Pro .. Even about our small local shops , that to me are the backbone .. The Walmart's are the sign of the times ..Just seems that we are always putting down our industry companies and it all matters ... be happy with what we got now or it will shrink again ... taking a loss in any business is not business ... the OP is somewhat responsible and I don't believe Cabela's should pay ... we all lose
Old 03-20-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
ok...
all I'm saying is there's a reason the small business in Alberta and Canada for that matter is gone , and that's profit .... We call service the BEST price and stock to where it's a loser for the company .. retail is not kind .. There's been numerous threads about Wholesale , Cabela's and Bass Pro .. Even about our small local shops , that to me are the backbone .. The Walmart's are the sign of the times ..Just seems that we are always putting down our industry companies and it all matters ... be happy with what we got now or it will shrink again ... taking a loss in any business is not business ... the OP is somewhat responsible and I don't believe Cabela's should pay ... we all lose
Understand the sentiment, but business (all business) is a perpetual battle, a competition against other businesses. A company that says "I'm not going to do that for a customer" has to understand and accept that he may lose business. Perhaps he has some other feature that people value that will hold or even grow his customer base. That's great. But a business that says "I'm just going to run my business the way that I want, I don't care what the customer might value or what competitors are offering" deserves to go out of business.

Love Tim Horton's new dark roast commercials. Feedback was so bad that they made a commercial that basically said "Yes, we heard you. We sucked. Now we are giving you what you want". I'll sure try dark roast again.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Understand the sentiment, but business (all business) is a perpetual battle, a competition against other businesses. A company that says "I'm not going to do that for a customer" has to understand and accept that he may lose business. Perhaps he has some other feature that people value that will hold or even grow his customer base. That's great. But a business that says "I'm just going to run my business the way that I want, I don't care what the customer might value or what competitors are offering" deserves to go out of business.

Love Tim Horton's new dark roast commercials. Feedback was so bad that they made a commercial that basically said "Yes, we heard you. We sucked. Now we are giving you what you want". I'll sure try dark roast again.
no ..not lose money and that's my point .. I respect them OKO ..think of this ..what if the energy sector adopted this business plan of yours ? they actually shut down go outa business , leave the province etc...

Last edited by Rio56; 03-20-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
no ..not lose money and that's my point .. I respect them OKO ..think of this ..what if the energy sector adopted this business plan of yours ? they actually shut down do outa business , leave the province etc...
I'm not sure I follow your point. If one business does something that causes them to lose money, and the other doesn't, one company will be left standing: the smart one.

MEC and Eddie Bauer aren't losing money. I'm not advocating that companies adopt practices that put them in the red. I'm saying that a good return policy is like spending money on advertising. It's an investment in future business that MAY pay off.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure I follow your point. If one business does something that causes them to lose money, and the other doesn't, one company will be left standing: the smart one.
MEC and Eddie Bauer aren't losing money. I'm not advocating that companies adopt practices that put them in the red. I'm saying that a good return policy is like spending money on advertising. It's an investment in future business that MAY pay off.
right on ..which company is in the thread and what did they do , not lose money , Cabela's said no , the smart one ... I won't respond again to this thread as people when facing retail companies don't care if the company loses money and go out business .. customer service is misconceived to best price , best return and lose money , who cares ..it's all about me , me me ... Oh I don't like 1.10 L for gas .... but guess what
Old 03-20-2017, 12:59 PM

The best result is a company that makes money and customers that are happy with their purchase.

Very few items are returned "just because."

Put product on your shelves of quality, offer great customer service, a no BS return policy and you will do very well.

Putting junk on the shelves for high markup may have worked 20 years ago but not today. All the information one needs is a Google search away and bad press like in this thread costs a lot more money than a simple return of one item.

Having said all that, I have been very happy with Cabelas. They ship in a timely manner, include a return postage sticker if needed, offer quality product and good pricing. They have even sent me gift certificates to make up for a product that went on sale after I made a purchase.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:22 PM
Banned

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Whilst I agree that they should have had a demo...it doesn't matter where you to...Cabelas, Wholesale, Sears, Homesense...nobody takes back bedding, it's common knowledge.
Recently moved my mother into a seniors facility. Had to buy new bed and bedding even though hers was only a year or two old.
Blame the bedbug problem that has arrived in our country along with our new immigrants.

l,ll scratch to that , here ,here
Old 03-20-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
ok...
Wow. Drum Drum Drum. They take something back and if its crap it will go back to the manufacturer and the store will get their money back. Probably made for a few cents in China anyways. If its not crap it will go back on the shelf at a reduced price. Store will still make a profit and all will be good because someone is always looking for a deal. If not store will sell it at cost or send it off to a liquidator to get their money out of it. No big deal. If nobody ends up wanting it then it was crap and thats the end of it.

Not going to be the end of the world that I am about to return a bathing suit to costco that I never wore. I bought 2 sizes for my trip to mexico. I tried on the smaller one and used it. I never touched the bigger one.

Maybe I need to think on it some more. If I return it it could be the end of western civilization.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:26 PM

Took a business course once and they said if you make 100% of your customers happy 100% of the time you will lose money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2017, 05:36 PM

Save yourself a lot of stress and grief and go by your 14yr old son a pair of ear plugs if he is such a lite sleeper. Chances are the owls hooting woill keep him awake as well . I mean really ,3 pages over a "loud air mattress"? Maybe he might be more comfy at the Hilton.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:52 PM

thanks for the heads up I will be careful if I buy that or similar type products.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:08 PM

Unless Thermarest has gone to junk material I don't know what the problem would be, had the same pad for 36 yrs now and still in excellent shape and it don't crack and make noise's the way you descibe and it has been used 100's of time on a tent floor or in the back of the van and station wagon. Just my thought's. also better place's to buy stuff too.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Save yourself a lot of stress and grief and go by your 14yr old son a pair of ear plugs if he is such a lite sleeper. Chances are the owls hooting woill keep him awake as well . I mean really ,3 pages over a "loud air mattress"? Maybe he might be more comfy at the Hilton.
POST OF THE WEEK! Hilarious!

All things aside, OP, I would be a little ticked off as well.
However, lesson learned and there are ways of getting around it.
Try selling it off on Kijiji for a reduced price, you could probably recover a good chunk of your loss.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:35 AM

I would have opened the box right there in the store and made my own demo..
Old 03-21-2017, 09:24 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweld View Post
Took a business course once and they said if you make 100% of your customers happy 100% of the time you will lose money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly....look at it from a business perspective first, 90% of customers are happy and return to purchase various items....some get the wrong end of a deal based on a policy BUT some people abuse the policy too.

Customers need to ask questions prior to a purchase especially if it is a first time, not sure etc or research the item prior to diving in.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-21-2017, 09:26 AM

Put a pin hole in it and return it as "defective"........
Old 03-21-2017, 09:30 AM

I'm just going to leave this here for anyone that might be in need of one of these.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HurtFeelingsReport.pdf (214.0 KB, 22 views)
Old 03-21-2017, 10:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
I'm just going to leave this here for anyone that might be in need of one of these.
Lmao
Old 03-21-2017, 10:58 AM

Love it. Funny on this thread the people that appear to either be retail or understand the challenges of dealing with customers and the grief they have created for some of us over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post