Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-30-2020, 05:46 PM

Default What is Trump's appeal?

I'm asking this question from an honest desire to understand. There seem to be quite a few people on here who are unimpressed with either presidential option but prefer Trump as the lesser of two evils, and my question is not directed at those people. But to the people who genuinely *like* Trump and believe he is objectively a good president, I would like to know: What are your reasons for thinking this?
Old 09-30-2020, 05:56 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

The pot is stirred....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-30-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teberle View Post
I'm asking this question from an honest desire to understand. There seem to be quite a few people on here who are unimpressed with either presidential option but prefer Trump as the lesser of two evils, and my question is not directed at those people. But to the people who genuinely *like* Trump and believe he is objectively a good president, I would like to know: What are your reasons for thinking this?
Decency, moral fiber, honesty, no respect for the comfortable pew, the list goes on and on!
Old 09-30-2020, 06:05 PM

If you have to ask the question, You probably won't believe the answer.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
If you have to ask the question, You probably won't believe the answer.
^^^^X2^^^^^^
Old 09-30-2020, 06:10 PM

I have also tried to determine the appeal. I know a few supporters and am genuinely interested in finding out how they frame the busch tape or other incidents or statements. Not out of a desire to stir the pot but to have an actual discussion from the other side. Unfortunately with either Trump or religious discussion all I get is rhetoric. Talking points taught to devotees.
I yearn for a time when you could ask someone about what they believed without it being hate.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Decency, moral fiber, honesty, no respect for the comfortable pew, the list goes on and on!
These are the reasons you support Trump?
Old 09-30-2020, 06:17 PM

The lessor of two evils ??
Old 09-30-2020, 06:24 PM

Pretty easy for me:

1) He's not a career politician
2) He's making life easier for small business by cutting regulatory red tape
3) He's lowered taxes
4) He stands up for Israel
5) He hasn't started a war, and brought troops home who were still fighting
6) He doesn't act politically correct to try and get votes, or bend for small interest groups
7) The leftist hate him
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 09-30-2020, 06:25 PM

I like some of his policies but can’t stand the guys personality.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:27 PM

Born with silver spoon and career politician have a lot in common to me. Someone else is paying the bills and they aren’t playing with their own money. Somehow in Canada we have a guy who is both!
Old 09-30-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Pretty easy for me:

3) He's lowered taxes
6) He doesn't act politically correct to try and get votes, or bend for small interest groups
7) The leftist hate him
x2
Old 09-30-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Pretty easy for me:

3) He's lowered taxes
7) The leftist hate him
I can respect the first 6 but I can't for the life of me understand 7. Change my view of course but I feel people with that opinion lack personality and are looking for something to believe in. I pick politicians based on policies and background to. But I identify as a middle class guy not a leftist or a rightist and if you do you're easily controlled by a cult.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:43 PM

Because he is not a politician, one who tells it the way it is, tells the pukes who think they owned the usa to go **** up a rope. Draining the swamp with the likes of Joe Biden who has done nothing for 47 except touch young girls in a creepy way.

Tell other world leaders who have taken piles of cash from the usa to get lost and wanted to lock up Hillary.Finally got China to show there real colors.

Taking on the biggest criminal organization in the usa which is the DNC.

I don't like many things about Trump,but even those that vote for him know he does care for the usa. He had nothing to gain and all to lose running for the presidents job, this alone gave folks the urge to vote for him even though many of his voters really didn't like him.

And for those who think he is a real dummy ,he was smarter then 350 million Americans because he is the top dog holding the fort, caught them all holding there wieners and walked right on in,almost funny. The best was when him and Hillary were debating and he brought out the five women her husband raped ,the look on old Bill's eyes won the election for TRUMP.

You asked,now tell us why you asked.Only fair.

JD

Last edited by JD848; 09-30-2020 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:46 PM

He's a TV celebrity , Like the Kardashians , the yanks eat that stuff up (the uneducated ones). Kind of like turdo in Canada. Only one cure for stupid and it's illegal.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Pretty easy for me:

3) He's lowered taxes
7) The leftist hate him
Have to agree. Well said

He is not a politician. CLEARLY. He talks to people like he is the boss. Not what people are used to after centuries of listening to politicians. Refreshing in some ways. Downright WOW in some ways.

He is in awe of nobody. He would slap the Pope on the back......

He is an arrogant, self centered, goal oriented, greedy person who is putting his country first and above all at any cost.......he avoids taxes like we all try to do. Tax Avoidance is simply smart business. Tax Evasion is criminal. If he truly only paid $750.00 in federal income tax and is a billionaire, I think you have the right guy when it comes to finances

Id take him over the slimy entitled scumbag we have

Last edited by huntinstuff; 09-30-2020 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
I can respect the first 6 but I can't for the life of me understand 7. Change my view of course but I feel people with that opinion lack personality and are looking for something to believe in. I pick politicians based on policies and background to. But I identify as a middle class guy not a leftist or a rightist and if you do you're easily controlled by a cult.
Well number 7 is just the amusement factor for me. I dunno if you listen to the media briefings or not. But they're definitely more entertaining now, he shuts down the same reporters who ask dumb questions all the time. You then have people, even here in Canada who don't like the guy. I also saw a lot more humorous posts on Facebook from my lefty buddies since his election. If you listen to some people you'd think it's the end of the world and he's driving the States right into the gutter. When realistically they're in great shape, and most common Americans love the guy. I know most of my American friends on Facebook are voting for Trump. Some of the truckers I know even have his name on their trucks. They love him.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 09-30-2020, 07:03 PM

I have a few friends and relatives in the US, and a couple snowbird relatives who naturally know a pile. I have asked this question and the same answer came up: he provided jobs. Friend in Colorado said he has never seen so many good, career jobs come open...not just 7-11 stuff.

In the end most people want/need to work and Trump, for all his warts, has provided more jobs and opportunity for the average person.

Sort of like why most on here dislike Trudeau. Is it his socks or mumbling or blackface? No, it is because he has done so much to destroy the AB economy...and that is #1 for anyone with bills to pay.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Have to agree. Well said

He is not a politician. CLEARLY. He talks to people like he is the boss. Not what people are used to after centuries of listening to politicians. Refreshing in some ways. Downright WOW in some ways.

He is in awe of nobody. He would slap the Pope on the back......

He is an arrogant, self centered, goal oriented, greedy person who is putting his country first and above all at any cost.......

Id take him over the slimy entitled scumbag we have
Very well put HS.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
Very well put HS.
x2
Old 09-30-2020, 07:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
x2
X3
Old 09-30-2020, 07:12 PM

It's been said "He's a weak man's idea of a strong man, a poor man's idea of a rich man, an ignorant man's idea of a smart man"

Personally, I haven't liked the guy since the mid 1980's. He always gave me the impression he was nothing but a used aluminum siding salesman.

My opinion and $1.50 will get you a cup of coffee somewhere.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:22 PM

His kids are on his board of directors yet were taking consulting fees to work for the company. Sure hope no one suggests him and his kids aren’t a bit greasy!
Old 09-30-2020, 07:32 PM

I believe it's because Trump is a political outsider, People got sick and tired of being screwed around by the professional politicians, who's only aim was to get reelected and profit off the public purse. Biden being a good example of the antithesis, he's been around for 40 years and accomplished little of real value.

Grizz
Old 09-30-2020, 07:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post
It's been said "He's a weak man's idea of a strong man, a poor man's idea of a rich man, an ignorant man's idea of a smart man"

Personally, I haven't liked the guy since the mid 1980's. He always gave me the impression he was nothing but a used aluminum siding salesman.

My opinion and $1.50 will get you a cup of coffee somewhere.
x2
Old 09-30-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Well number 7 is just the amusement factor for me. I dunno if you listen to the media briefings or not. But they're definitely more entertaining now, he shuts down the same reporters who ask dumb questions all the time. You then have people, even here in Canada who don't like the guy. I also saw a lot more humorous posts on Facebook from my lefty buddies since his election. If you listen to some people you'd think it's the end of the world and he's driving the States right into the gutter. When realistically they're in great shape, and most common Americans love the guy. I know most of my American friends on Facebook are voting for Trump. Some of the truckers I know even have his name on their trucks. They love him.
Ahh I get your angle now. Thanks for explaining.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:23 PM

I've watched interviews of him talking about the USA all the way back to the 80s. It's clear to me that he really loves the country, and he's not a globalist. It was clear from interviews from the 80s already. In a world where other leaders are trying to make way for a global governance, he's a breath of fresh air.

He also knows that the better the country is doing, the better his businesses will do, so I'm sure that his motives in getting the economy going aren't all gratuitous.

He also doesn't like the way that the banks/fed and China have screwed over the country, and has been doing something about that.

The things he did to improve the economy by deregulation has given the common working man who watches and actually thinks for himself the one thing I haven't seen in a long time-hope.

And it's hilarious to watch the leftists lose their collective ****, and watching their mental gymnastics to justify their actions in response to him.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:29 PM

Here’s what I don’t get....

What did he actually do for the economy short of big business tax cuts that had a serious positive impact on their economy?

Most economists argue he was the beneficiary of a long overdue recovery swing.

So really...... what else? Lots of what he gets/takes credit for dosent seem to be factually based....

I kinda wish the old Reform party would have hot in. I’ve often wondered what Ross Perot would have accomplished as President. He was anti outsourcing.....
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 09-30-2020, 08:30 PM

Double post sorry
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 09-30-2020, 08:32 PM

It makes one wonder where the USA would be today had Ross Perot won back in the day. I like non-politicians doing politics.