Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-15-2018, 11:18 AM

Default Pembina River Fishing - What Rig/Bait to Use?

I would like to try fishing from the shore on Pembina River at the provincial campground. What should I use? Is it better to use spinners, spoons, jigs or any/all of the above?
Can I do bottom fishing with a Lindy rig or something or is the current too strong for that? What should I use for bait then?
Thanks!
Old 06-15-2018, 12:21 PM

Default Pembina @ Entwhistle

Jigs work just fine, cast upstream of where the lobstick flows in, and let your jig drop down into the pocket right on the corner. Reel slow enough to just keep your line tight and you should have a walleye on every other cast. You should feel your jig bouncing along the rocks and when it stops give it a yank and it's usually a fish or unfortunately a snag. You will lose a few jigs so bring back up.

*edit* the river is probably flowing high so action won't be nearly as consistent as later in the fall.

Pickeral rig and minnows can work too but bait fishing can be difficult with people floating by and possibly disturbing your line.

It can get busy down there so be prepared for company :-)

Some big walleye to be had if you manage to get into one though. 30" fish are not unheard of.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:21 PM

Thanks a lot, that is very helpful! I haven't fished for walleye a lot before, so any recommendations for what kind of jigs (colour, size, etc.) to use would also be very much appreciated!
Old 06-15-2018, 02:16 PM

Good info.... we are planning to camp at the park in early July for a couple days.
Are there any other areas of the river close to the park worth venturing off too?
Old 06-15-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Russky View Post
Thanks a lot, that is very helpful! I haven't fished for walleye a lot before, so any recommendations for what kind of jigs (colour, size, etc.) to use would also be very much appreciated!
I just use twister tails, white is probably my most consistant producer followed closely by black and then yellow. I usually tip them with a half crawler.

Rather than use a pickerel rig I tend to use a slip sinker rig, also called a Lindy rig. Run your main line through a 1oz sinker, then a plastic bead to protect your knot, then tie it to a snap swivel or swivel. Then tie on a 2-4 foot leader onto the other end of your swivel, slightly lighter than your main line, and either a plain hook or a floating jig head. With the lighter leader if you snag up you usually don't lose the sinker, you can use marshmallows to float a regular hook instead of a floating jig. I fish crawlers, leaches, and minnows on this rig. River fishing I find minnows to be my most regular producer.

I also tie up short walleye spinners, about 12 to 18 inches long, and then add weight as the situation dictates to get them to run at the right depth, tip them with a half crawler or minnow. A cool way to fish them is to toss them out into the current and then let them swing into the slower water then prop your rod up and let them sink to the bottom, every few minuets lift the spinner off the bottom, the current will work the blade for a bit while the rig settles to the bottom again. Walleye will hit this rig both at rest and while the current is working it, when the water is high and muddy this will often outfish anything else.

Last edited by Bushleague; 06-15-2018 at 02:44 PM.

Tags
pembina river