Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-29-2018, 09:25 PM

Default Walk in cooler

I am building a shop and inside the shop I will have a walk in cooler to hang game.
Is anyone have some recommendation on what to use or where to look to buy.
Size to be around 6 ft be 7 ft. Ceilling height of the shop is 11 ft.
Thx
Frank
Old 05-30-2018, 06:39 AM

There's an Alberta Government site auction site they usually have some walk-in coolers on there

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2018, 07:02 AM

I found mine on Kijiji. I believe it’s 6x8, with a 8’ ceiling. It’s still on the floor of the shop, I need to put the epoxy on the floor of my meat shop before I set the cooler up.

I was going in circles trying to figure out how high to go. Really it doesn’t matter, unless you can go 15’ high or so. A full moose, or beef half stretched out, with hooks, rails, and hardware takes up a lot of height! So, everything will need to be quartered anyway. 8’ is plenty I think.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditch donkey View Post
I found mine on Kijiji. I believe it’s 6x8, with a 8’ ceiling. It’s still on the floor of the shop, I need to put the epoxy on the floor of my meat shop before I set the cooler up.

I was going in circles trying to figure out how high to go. Really it doesn’t matter, unless you can go 15’ high or so. A full moose, or beef half stretched out, with hooks, rails, and hardware takes up a lot of height! So, everything will need to be quartered anyway. 8’ is plenty I think.
8' is a little shy imo. My rail is 8' and add the length of the hook a hind 1/4 of moose almost drags on the floor. I bought my cooler compressor at achesion refrigeration in Dawson creek. I think it was $1500. It is supposed to be able to keep 8-10 animals cool providing that you don't open and close the door lots. For a rail I used 3/8" x1 1/2" flat bar. I built my own brackets but you can but them at achesion refrigeration in. The steel I think was around $300. Used roller hangers from halford and a friend. Can't remember how much but it sure is handy to have. My cooler rail runs around the perimeter of my cooler. A little heat and a jig will make the bends in the corners.
I used insulated panels for my partition wall. It is 1 1/2" thick and steel on both sides. Works really well.
I would suggest having a floor drain. It works real good to use a sprayer to spray bleach on the walls then pressure wash.
Word of caution is be selective who you let use it. I've been lucky with my buddies because the respect my cooler and help clean it. Family is a different story. As soon as everything is in brown paper they got better things to do then help clean.

I gave a cooler structure away to a fella on the forum here but I do gave the compresser and fans still. It is 3ph. Maybe a electrical whiz will know if it'll do the trick for you or not.