Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-30-2015, 12:56 AM

Default Storing furs

I've seen some guys talk about holding furs over,hoping for a better price.
Whats the best way to put them up.Finish drying them and then freeze?I used to store coyote pelts by skinning/fleshing them, then washing them well and making sure the pelt was immersed in water and freeze.This takes up quite a bit of space after awhile though.
Just wondering what the best way is.
thanks',
Ken
Old 03-30-2015, 05:07 AM

the auction houses are geared for storing fur. let them store it. put the fur up, and send it in. with a request on which auction date you'ld like to have it in.

holding fur over, for a better price is risky and rarely works out. as proven with this last auction.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:11 AM

Default Storing pelts

I store all of my pelts at the auction house! I do freeze quite a few beaver in the spring, as I catch them fast enough that I can barely keep up skinning, let alone boarding. You can freeze finished pelts, but there is always the risk of them yellowing and going stale. Wrap them good in brown paper and newspaper, always fur on fur. I have vacuum packed as well with success.

Spruce
Old 03-30-2015, 02:24 PM

Took mine in to westlock with instructions to hold them over until the March 2016 sale. NAFA will put them in cold storage for me for free until that sale. Why store them yourself.....
Old 03-30-2015, 09:03 PM

When I bought fur up north, we stacked (layered) the fur pelts. Wrapped each bundle approx. 24 inches high with burlap. Pelts have to be dry.
Stored the fur for months before we sent off them off to auction Many, many, many thousand. Never had any problems.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:05 AM

I helped a fella last season clean out his muskrats out of the freezer for the Feb sale. He is sure they were there for at least six years or more. But what he averaged I would say there was absolutly no damage. They were wrapped in newspaper in groups of twenty five. he had over 600 in one freezer.