Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-25-2015, 09:45 PM

Default Fox color grading

Thought maybe you guys could help me figure out how my fox match up to my gradings.
1 @ PL-XP
1 @ MED-PL
3 @ MED
1 @ DK

I think DK is second from left, MED would be 1st, 4th and 6th from the left, MED-PL 5th from left and PL-XP would be 3rd from the left.
Agree?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2045.jpg (89.4 KB, 103 views)

Last edited by MB1; 03-25-2015 at 09:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-25-2015, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1 View Post
Thought maybe you guys could help me figure out how my fox match up to my gradings.
1 @ PL-XP
1 @ MED-PL
3 @ MED
1 @ DK

I think DK is second from left, MED would be 1st, 4th and 6th from the left, MED-PL 5th from left and PL-XP would be 3rd from the left.
Agree?
I would say 3 from right is your dk,IMO
Old 03-25-2015, 10:07 PM
Banned

My guess.....From left to right:

MED.....DK.....XP.....MED.....MED PL.....MED
Old 03-25-2015, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
My guess.....From left to right:

MED.....DK.....XP.....MED.....MED PL.....MED
I would switch 2 and 4th then rest is bang,4th one is really red all the way to butt IMO
Old 03-26-2015, 12:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP_ECOM View Post
I would switch 2 and 4th then rest is bang,4th one is really red all the way to butt IMO
Yeah, it could be, Peter. I was going by the really dark marking straight down #2's back for figuring out the DK grade. With #4 that dark stripe only goes halfway down the back. I have no idea if I'm even close....lol....I'm just guessing as to what makes sense to me.

I really wish that there was a way to cross reference the bar codes from the depot to the pelts in the lotting letter. A fella could learn so much from that. Maybe NAFA doesn't want us to have that much information though....lol.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:21 AM

you could cross reference them, the depot where I drop mine off is a nafa depot so they tag them right there so I suppose if theyd let you you could come back and write down the tag numbers when theyre tagging them so for example take a pic of the fur color etc and the tag number Ive thought about doing it but theyre always so busying and I dont want to get in the way that bad but it would be neat and Id say second from the left is the DK.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
you could cross reference them, the depot where I drop mine off is a nafa depot so they tag them right there so I suppose if theyd let you you could come back and write down the tag numbers when theyre tagging them so for example take a pic of the fur color etc and the tag number Ive thought about doing it but theyre always so busying and I dont want to get in the way that bad but it would be neat and Id say second from the left is the DK.
I've tried this and as far as I can tell it doesn't work. There is nothing that I can find to cross reference the tag number with. Once received and graded, the tag number disappears and a lotting letter is assigned. I think that it'd be great to see where tag numbers end up in relation to their grade and a lot can be learned from it.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it could be, Peter. I was going by the really dark marking straight down #2's back for figuring out the DK grade. With #4 that dark stripe only goes halfway down the back. I have no idea if I'm even close....lol....I'm just guessing as to what makes sense to me.

I really wish that there was a way to cross reference the bar codes from the depot to the pelts in the lotting letter. A fella could learn so much from that. Maybe NAFA doesn't want us to have that much information though....lol.
reason I picked that one is because red colour is over the sides and flanks,where the other only down middle
Old 03-26-2015, 02:17 PM
Banned

I have 1 red fox to turn in for the next auction. I ought to take a picture of it and see who picks the correct colour that it grades. That would be entertaining I think.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
I have 1 red fox to turn in for the next auction. I ought to take a picture of it and see who picks the correct colour that it grades. That would be entertaining I think.
Yes that would be interesting Dave
Old 03-26-2015, 10:07 PM

I'm in Dave, I have only one fox to submit as well. And we can predict it's grading too.
Good idea...
Old 03-26-2015, 10:41 PM

Default foxes

Here's the one's I sent,can you guess which ones graded what

Here's the grades:

*I MED
*I PL-XP
I-II MED
I-II MED
II PL-XP AVG
II MED, FTY,SEM (FTY=FROSTY,SEM=SEMI)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 043.jpg (63.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 03-26-2015, 11:01 PM

Here goes... I think the one on the right is PL-XP by how pale it is on the sides. And I'm thinking the far left is PL-XP too based on how pale it is on the neck. And the inside four are MED?
Old 03-27-2015, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1 View Post
Here goes... I think the one on the right is PL-XP by how pale it is on the sides. And I'm thinking the far left is PL-XP too based on how pale it is on the neck. And the inside four are MED?
yep that's what I was thinking,and second from left is the frosty one,i think
Old 03-27-2015, 07:45 AM

Quote:
I've tried this and as far as I can tell it doesn't work. There is nothing that I can find to cross reference the tag number with. Once received and graded, the tag number disappears and a lotting letter is assigned. I think that it'd be great to see where tag numbers end up in relation to their grade and a lot can be learned from it.
I thought that tag stayed on so they could scan it and see whos it is. Ill talk to my guy when I drop fur off and see what he says cause that would be neat.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
I thought that tag stayed on so they could scan it and see whos it is. Ill talk to my guy when I drop fur off and see what he says cause that would be neat.
I recorded a couple of tag numbers for the January auction to see how they did. Unfortunately, once the pelt gets to NAFA and they scan the tag, grade and put it into lots, the number on the tag can't be cross referenced to find out what it graded and what lot it was put in.