Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-07-2018, 09:04 PM

Default Prince Rupert Fishing Report?

Does anyone have Fishing Report for Prince Rupert/ Kitimat ?
Heading there next week, so would be nice to know.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:56 PM
AO Sponsor

Heard recently in the salt at Rupert... sounded like they were doing well there for their spring fling, being able to locate the chinooks by locating the squid? But then the squid went away and the chinook dispersed.

One nasty tho... sounds like zero retention of chinook from June 15 to July 7 OR SOMETHING! Dont quote me on that, I heard it but wasnt listening. There is a zero retention in the Rupert area in the salt for 3 weeks.

Surely we all heard about the drop in the halibut size limit? from 133 cm max to 115... like POOP!!! Lucky for me I got me a 70 lber in Rupert in July and a 70 lber in Hardy in August so I could experience hitting a 70 lb halibut on the head. Hopefully we can again someday?

No yelloweye according to charter guy up there. I believe that restriction is everywhere except the inside of Vancouver Island.

Last edited by Marty S; 06-08-2018 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:43 PM

Thanks for the info!!
Old 06-09-2018, 05:05 PM

Just got back. It rained the whole 10 days but 1. Horrific wind. 4 spring salmon caught by 4 of us the entire trip. Things are just now starting to pick up but it's the slowest I have ever experienced. Guys were spending entire days at the most productive spots historically for zero action. I tried every spot but work channel and dundas.
Guides were coming in empty too everyone was doing everything they could to put something in the locker.
Springs are at 1/2 until 0615 then 0 retention until 0710. All rivers are closed and they cut back commercial drastically. Everyone seems to be heading except the guys bringing oversized fish and over quantity to the processors, and there are nets across rivers with people saying 'cant take away my rights'.
Not a great trip lets say.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 06-10-2018, 01:08 AM
Banned

Report from Sandpit today was 30 Chinooks to the boat
Average size 20-25 pounds. Biggest was 30.

I am hearing that Rupert is slow both from Ken and others. You really have to work for them .

Jamie
Old 06-10-2018, 08:44 AM

That's a little disheartening to hear Ken. From what I hear it sounds like the Rupert area and the Skeena are pretty much shut down for the year. It doesn't sound like QCI will be cut as much but possibly chinook down to 1 a day???
I'm heading to Masset for July so hopefully the chinook are merely late.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Just got back. It rained the whole 10 days but 1. Horrific wind. 4 spring salmon caught by 4 of us the entire trip. Things are just now starting to pick up but it's the slowest I have ever experienced. Guys were spending entire days at the most productive spots historically for zero action. I tried every spot but work channel and dundas.
Guides were coming in empty too everyone was doing everything they could to put something in the locker.
Springs are at 1/2 until 0615 then 0 retention until 0710. All rivers are closed and they cut back commercial drastically. Everyone seems to be heading except the guys bringing oversized fish and over quantity to the processors, and there are nets across rivers with people saying 'cant take away my rights'.
Thanks Ken, we always go last week of June 1st week of July. We May go later this year to get in on some bigger coho.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:16 AM

I am going July 10 sure hope things pick up. With so many poachers and idiots thumbing their noses at the laws I wont be surprised if everything isn't shut down soon.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 06-11-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Now, now.....Not everyone was coming in empty ... lol
Old 06-11-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surhuntsalot View Post
Now, now.....Not everyone was coming in empty ... lol
True, and I have always said if anyone wanted to go on a charter it would be with you, but it is not the same as the previous 5 years and you have to admit that. Plus like I said, guides were doing everything they could to put meat in the box. Northern Bounty would be my choice if I didn't have a boat for sure.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:23 PM

We are heading out with Northern bounty guide Travis on the 25th, can’t wait. Last year expirence nice was amazing .. can’t ask for a better guide
Old 06-16-2018, 08:02 PM

Wow, I can't hardly wrap my head around Rupert being that slow Ken! Hope your next trip out is much better.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-16-2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Wow, I can't hardly wrap my head around Rupert being that slow Ken! Hope your next trip out is much better.
I am hoping most of it was weather related, fronts moving in and out, huge pressure changes, etc. I am worried they are far too late in attempting to save the springs.