Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-31-2018, 06:15 PM

Default Camp Wainwright Moose

Has anybody noticed that the 2018 Camp Wainwright second rifle season for Moose (antlered or antlerless) is only three days? December 13-15

Just wondering if this is a misprint, or has the season been shortened for population reasons?

Three days can be a little thin in mid December if the weather gets nasty.

Also, I don't see any draw codes for the Wainwright moose seasons in the 2018 book? Haven't applied yet, perhaps there will be a "date of hunt" prompt during the draw application process?
Old 05-31-2018, 07:30 PM

The moose hunts have all been three days long for a number of years now. 30 tags per hunt.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
The moose hunts have all been three days long for a number of years now. 30 tags per hunt.
Two years ago when I was there they were six days. Your thinking about the deer seasons.

I’ve heard the unlicensed hunters hit the moose hard on wainwright last year. Probably has a lot to do with the season changes.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:38 PM

Typo-Both rifle moose seasons are still 6 days.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcrazy View Post
Thank you. I e-mailed to inquire about this, and I was sent highlighted text from the regs with the same typo. I specifically asked if it was a typo, and they insisted that the dates were correct.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Two years ago when I was there they were six days. Your thinking about the deer seasons.

I’ve heard the unlicensed hunters hit the moose hard on wainwright last year. Probably has a lot to do with the season changes.
Did you know they track exact specifics for every kill on the base? You could pull up a lot of the info in the thread shed posts his data in.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:13 AM

I drew the last moose hunt last year, and although the trophy quality has really fallen off since my previous hunt, there is still a good moose population on the base. We saw exactly one antlered moose the first afternoon, and it was not a large bull, but it was in a location where we could drive to within 50 feet of it, so down it went.We hunted deer the next day, and saw a few more antlerless, moose, but no antlered moose at all.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:04 PM

Hey Shed, obviously you know what you are talking about. But just for kicks, who would have the final say on this? It's important in my opinion, as I was there 2 years ago and it was brutally cold and extremely windy for the first 2 days. Day 3 it "warmed" up to minus 19 with sun and no wind. I connected.
The rest of the week went back in the tank. 3 days just too short to burn a draw.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:06 PM

Hey Shed, obviously you know what you are talking about. But just for kicks, who would have the final say on this? It's important in my opinion, as I was there 2 years ago and it was brutally cold and extremely windy for the first 2 days. Day 3 it "warmed" up to minus 19 with sun and no wind. I connected.
The rest of the week went back in the tank. 3 days just too short to burn a draw.

Sorry Joe Black, that is not correct.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:24 PM

Partially correct.

Black powder is 3 days. Never went on rifles. To easy.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post

Sorry Joe Black, that is not correct.
FWIW,we had only a 3 day lottery moose season in NB for over 50 years,always the last Thu-Sat of September.Succes rates in the last cpl decades ran around 70% on 4000+/-tags drawn.Only in the last couple years(since 2016?) did they up the season to 6 days.
Point being,3 days can be more then enough time to fill a moose tag when you've done yer homework.....more then 50% of NB's moose harvest is taken on Day 1..On the other hand.....it can seem like a very short season when temps land in the 90s and/or 3 days of sideways rain and you are still hunting at sunset on Saturday night.....been there too.☹️
Old 06-02-2018, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
FWIW,we had only a 3 day lottery moose season in NB for over 50 years,always the last Thu-Sat of September.Succes rates in the last cpl decades ran around 70% on 4000+/-tags drawn.Only in the last couple years(since 2016?) did they up the season to 6 days.
Point being,3 days can be more then enough time to fill a moose tag when you've done yer homework.....more then 50% of NB's moose harvest is taken on Day 1..On the other hand.....it can seem like a very short season when temps land in the 90s and/or 3 days of sideways rain and you are still hunting at sunset on Saturday night.....been there too.☹️
I filled my tag last year on the first day, and on the second day the previous time that I drew. That being said, the base hunt isn't like other hunts, as you can't scout like you can other places. So you can't really do the homework that you can do on other hunts. If a storm set in for a couple of days, you could be left with one day to hunt, and with no scouting, that isn't much time to hunt.
Old 06-02-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Could you post the season dates please? Thinking about going again this year but as it stands now I’m only home for the last two days of the last season.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:03 PM

I believe the error has been corrected on the online version and now states Dec 10-15 for the last rifle season.

S
Old 06-02-2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
I believe the error has been corrected on the online version and now states Dec 10-15 for the last rifle season.

S
Yea I see it’s updated now. To bad it didn’t go the other way on the dates, I fly home the 13th of dec. I’ll come shoot the last cow for the season.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:34 AM

Yes I see it has been updated. Now for the draw codes? There are 3 seasons obviously in the same WMU's (728 and 730) so now we need the draw code. Unless Relm has come up with something different this year once you start the draw application?
Old 06-04-2018, 01:02 PM

Not sure why they didn't update that info too when they edited the other info. But a quick 2min search showed the draw codes haven't changed over the years so they are still 733,734,735 and all the dates are shown in AlbertaRelm.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:10 PM

Thanks shed, I sent you a pm on another issue for that base hunt.