Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

View Poll Results: How do you build priority points
Build points because its cheap but not sure where to use them yet 59 38.06%
Build points with a specific hunt in mind 79 50.97%
I don't build points unless I have a plan to use them 17 10.97%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-29-2018, 07:59 PM

Default Building Priority

I just did my draws and I am building priority on antlered elk and antlered mule deer just because it is so cheap. I also am building on Trophy Antelope but when I draw I will only hunt with my bow, no interested in taking a rifle. Once my priority is 10+ I will start thinking about where to hunt them.

I'm wondering who else builds priority blindly and who builds with intent.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:26 PM

I apply for everything, almost everything is out of reach for me yet (only p4) but once I get closer I’ll start to plan out the hunts as they come up.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:49 PM

i dont think its a bad idea to build priority on things you may not look to hunt any time soon, may as well pay $3+ bucks to build something and have it available when you do gain the interest for such animal/hunt.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy17 View Post
i dont think its a bad idea to build priority on things you may not look to hunt any time soon, may as well pay $3+ bucks to build something and have it available when you do gain the interest for such animal/hunt.
Absolutely, I agree. Once I get north of 10 on an elk or mule deer, that is when I will start doing some serious research. Until then I will just hunt general seasons and keep building points.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:56 PM

I'm a priority 10 on all my sheep and antelope draws. Just haven't had the time to scout and prep for those kind of hunts as I'm on a quest for a bull elk with my bow. (Have shot 1 cow with it so far). So in a few years time when I'm ready I'll be able to draw.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:12 PM

I want to hunt just about anything in the province at least once, so I build points on most things. Sometimes it’s tough - wait 10 plus years for 410 archery rams in rut or roll the dice on the Cadomin lottery? I want to do both but the math says that will probably never happen.

Our draw system isn’t perfect - I wouldn’t mind seeing a small portion of allocated licenses go to random just to throw a bone to the guys that didn’t get in years ago on some tags. But at the end of the day we have a ton of opportunity in this province and I’m grateful for that.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:59 PM

I have 4 people who apply together and spend $3 on each application. Applied for 35 draws at about $1.50/application.

Stupid system, but may as well save the money where you can.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:08 PM

I'm P12 or better on Trophy Antelope & Ant Mule Deer. I was a 12 when I cashed in my Southern Ab Elk draw a couple years back. Building anterless elk now.

I'm waiting for my son to catch up on the Antelope & Mule Deer draw points so we can mirror those tags and hunt them together. Then try to do it again at least once more down the road. I stopped on the Mule deer draw as it's enough but the Antelope draw keeps getting 999 just in case the waits keeps going up.

Moose draw was more strategic as I hunt them more often and can draw a tag sooner up north. But that don't help when the zone I know like the back of my hand has very little moose sign now. So it's been building and is at 5 now and I should draw this year for a nice farmland area I know.

Wish I could have drawn for a sheep but never knew anyone who hunted them and never built any points for the males. I missed my sheep window for a male many years back and that one will never be hunted. I do have 12 points for a female sheep but stopped building points years back. Maybe one day I will be able to go after that tag.

I build points regardless of my plans to hunt. I want to have enough so when the chance, tip or an offer to hunt comes, I can draw that year.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
I just did my draws and I am building priority on antlered elk and antlered mule deer just because it is so cheap. I also am building on Trophy Antelope but when I draw I will only hunt with my bow, no interested in taking a rifle. Once my priority is 10+ I will start thinking about where to hunt them.

I'm wondering who else builds priority blindly and who builds with intent.
I haven't really followed any antelope WMU other than my home unit. Just as a question Kyle, why wouldn't you apply for archery antelope? I wouldn't want to be hunting antelope during a season when there's lots of guys hunting with rifles. Some crazy antics go on with rifle antelope hunters.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
I haven't really followed any antelope WMU other than my home unit. Just as a question Kyle, why wouldn't you apply for archery antelope? I wouldn't want to be hunting antelope during a season when there's lots of guys hunting with rifles. Some crazy antics go on with rifle antelope hunters.
Sorry for not making it clearer; I am building archery antelope points but since I can enter both I thought why not. I have a plan for my archery antelope, I have taken two great antelope so far so I figure if I put in for trophy then that doubles my opportunity to hunt them with my bow.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:28 PM

For deer elk and antelope I build bonus points for a specific hunt. Moose I’m just building points to build points. One day I’ll get drawn and for how rare that tag is it don’t really matter where I go even though I have a couple districts picked out already.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:52 PM

I don't bother building priority for elk because in any given year I might hunt deer/elk in 1/2 dozen or more WMUs,most of which are General 3pt or 6pt elk units.I don't want to be tied to any specific unit with a draw tag,and then have to pass on great bull in Nov while I'm chasing WTs because my tag is for some trophy unit 300kms away.
I don't apply for cow elk for the same reason.....sure as shootn I will draw a late season cow tag and then have a 400" bull sticking his tongue out at me in a 3pt General unit in November. 😖
When I lived closer to the 400s I'd buy a General MD tag every year "just in case" but never seriously pursued mulies in the mountains nor the few 300s that allow General.
I'm building points for MD,decide on a quality unit when I get a bit closer to drawing I guess?Same for moose,but I know where I want to draw my moose tag already,hoping P4 is enough to get it this year?If not,im not too concerned,I'll get a cpl weeks in bowhunting moose closer to home regardless,and/or probly try to beat the rush for an Undersubscribed.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:22 AM

I use a combination of both the poll questions. I put in draws I presume Ill get and plan to hunt every couple years. I also put in for Sheep and Antelope on the off chance I get the desire to hunt for one.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 05-31-2018, 12:04 PM

I put in for a specific hunt and wait until I can take time off to put a real effort in. I think me and the wife are both 9 for moose and elk. 4 for mule.

It's the taking time off part I have issues with. I don't want to burn points and not even get out.

I plan to start putting the kids in once they are 12 even if they don't show interest in hunting at the time. At least then if they want to they will have priorities built up. The way they are now I don't think it will be an issue, just hope the boys legs grow before next season. Last years snow made it hard hunting with a 5 year old on my shoulders 1/2 mile back to the truck...
Old 05-31-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
I apply for everything, almost everything is out of reach for me yet (only p4) but once I get closer I’ll start to plan out the hunts as they come up.
x2 same here
Old 05-31-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
Sorry for not making it clearer; I am building archery antelope points but since I can enter both I thought why not. I have a plan for my archery antelope, I have taken two great antelope so far so I figure if I put in for trophy then that doubles my opportunity to hunt them with my bow.
Gotcha. I see what you are getting at.