Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-28-2015, 11:15 PM

Default Got some new Marten boxes

I have been talking to a lot of guys about ideas for boxes. A couple people mentioned these boxes. They are tree pots. Specs are 12.5" long and 7.75 inches across but they are a bit of an octagon shape.
They cost $1.30 U.S each.
The 120 will not fit inside if just up against the opening. But if you cut spring slots of 1/4 inch it fits just snug right in there perfectly. ( the one in the picture the slots were a lot bigger than 1/4 inch) You don't even have to bend the spring up for it to stick in there. They are solid. Trap fire perfect. Also with it being octagon shape guys using pans like me the trigger is not right on the bottom so it will release when tripped easier. Plastic is a material that will bend. Bears can chew it up and it will not crack or break. Overall I think they will work great. I am not sure how they will do with UV light and using them for many years but I am willing to give it a shot. I got 30 of them so I will try them out this winter. Thought I would pass the info along.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:22 PM

I also found some lumber that was getting tossed by one of the local builders building a fence and some scrap from a house that was being built. I made about 75 of these. I plan on pounding a chunk of fenceboard 1x6 to the side of it and then tacking that piece right to a tree. Then the marten can climb the tree and sit on the platform in the front and go in. I noticed in some of my spots that if I was under a nice spruce tree the snow would not bother my set much. This way I can tack them to any tree I want instead of looking for a leaning tree and they will be weather protected. I have put out about 25 of these already and on the downwind side of the trees. I know I should be using better plywood but I think I can still get many years out of them. We will see. A little time and some free wood so no biggy if they don't last a long time. I have yet to see a porcupine track or sighting on my line so not too worried about them.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:31 PM

I certainly applaud the time and effort you put into doing it as economical as possible nube !!!
It will be interesting to see how those planters hold up to the Bears chewing on them.
On another note I spotted a couple road pilons a semi smoked the other day in the ditch. They're pretty beat up but I grapped them for you anyway
Old 03-28-2015, 11:40 PM

HAHA. I have been seeing them all over the place bud. I laugh every time I drive by a pylon now. I got 2 of them all cut up and ready to try out but I like these planter boxes. Headed down to the states this fall and will be getting some better boxes as well. In the end the plastic is the way to go I think.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:54 PM

Default double sided boxes

Has anyone tried boxes with traps at both ends, or will other marten steer clear if there is a catch there??
Ken
Old 03-31-2015, 09:54 AM

Default marten boxes

Nube, your OSB boxes will work, but bears, squirrels, etc will chew them for the glue all summer. I would put your plastic boxes out all year but tend to mount the wood ones towards fall. We always pull our plywood boxes each spring, OSB does not handle rain well. Just a suggestion.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Nube, your OSB boxes will work, but bears, squirrels, etc will chew them for the glue all summer. I would put your plastic boxes out all year but tend to mount the wood ones towards fall. We always pull our plywood boxes each spring, OSB does not handle rain well. Just a suggestion.
Yup I didn't expect them to last long. Was just going to use them to locate areas I want future sets every year. If these last a couple years then I will be fine with that. They didn't cost me anything and it was fun hanging out in the garage making them. Taught the kids how to use power tools and put them to work. My youngest daughter wants a couple skins for her bedroom now so she wanted to make some boxes with me to catch a squirrel she said.
Got about 75 wood boxes made this year and 30 of these plastic ones. Will be ordering some of the bigger newspaper tubes as well and I will ahve lots for a while.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:12 AM

those tree pots look great!! you probably would get 7-9 for the same price as 1 medium paper route tube.

even if they do break in the extreme cold. and they'ld be easy to bring back during the summer.

for that price. they look like the way to go.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
HAHA. I have been seeing them all over the place bud. I laugh every time I drive by a pylon now. I got 2 of them all cut up and ready to try out but I like these planter boxes. Headed down to the states this fall and will be getting some better boxes as well. In the end the plastic is the way to go I think.
How dare you buy those boxes in the States ..
Old 04-01-2015, 07:21 AM

if know one makes them here in canada. pretty much have to get them from states. wouldn't you think??
Old 04-01-2015, 09:32 AM

I will let you guys know how they work out. If they seem to do o.k maybe we can all get a bulk order going
Old 04-01-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
if know one makes them here in canada. pretty much have to get them from states. wouldn't you think??
Guess that's right , just don't get any snares while you are there . lol .