Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-30-2015, 05:45 PM

Default Trap dying & waxing questions

I picked up some Formula One Trap Cote to dye my conibears. I'm wondering if I should be waxing as well? The instructions indicate that you can use the traps 24 hours after treating.

Is the primary reason for dying/waxing to increase the lifespan of the trap by reducing rust? Or is it to improve the performance of the trap by eliminating scent?

These are all for 120s that I plan to use for muskrats in the spring and marten in the winter.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camdec View Post
I picked up some Formula One Trap Cote to dye my conibears. I'm wondering if I should be waxing as well? The instructions indicate that you can use the traps 24 hours after treating.

Is the primary reason for dying/waxing to increase the lifespan of the trap by reducing rust? Or is it to improve the performance of the trap by eliminating scent?

These are all for 120s that I plan to use for muskrats in the spring and marten in the winter.
I would stay away from waxing them,make them pretty finiky I would think and IMO dangerous to use
Old 03-30-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP_ECOM View Post
I would stay away from waxing them,make them pretty finiky I would think and IMO dangerous to use
I've always waxed in the past, so I know what you mean. I scrape the wax off the dog and where it meets the jaw, but I've always assumed the lightning quick release is a good thing. I guess as long as its on the critter and not my thumb!
Old 03-30-2015, 07:32 PM

Forget the wax, dye only to reduce rusting and I do not worry about scent on muskrat and marten traps as long as they are relatively clean.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:41 PM

How often do you re-dye? Is it something you'd recommend be done every season or perhaps every few years? Thanks for your comments guys. I appreciate it.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:14 PM

This is the best tool I have had for any questions

http://sniperstrappingplace.com/tmansearch.php
Old 03-30-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
How often do you re-dye? Is it something you'd recommend be done every season or perhaps every few years?
Whenever it looks like they need it.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
How often do you re-dye? Is it something you'd recommend be done every season or perhaps every few years? Thanks for your comments guys. I appreciate it.
I redo every year,my preference
Old 03-30-2015, 08:39 PM

I would think you should boil every year just to eliminate scent for stuff like wolves and coyotes shouldn't you?

For stuff like that for canines do you guys boil with logwood and pine needles as your preference?
Old 03-30-2015, 09:13 PM

Yes to both of the "nube" questions.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:15 PM
Banned

I wouldn't count on using them in 24 hours, last year mine were still tacky after a few days. I'd plan on dying them a week before using. I used camp fuel (naphtha) and poured the leftover back into the can to use again this year. It was recommended to not wax them so I didn't.

If you are using 120's for muskrats on drowning sets, leave the safety hook on one spring. Two springs absolutely crushes the skull and makes a mess of it for skinning and putting up. One spring works just fine.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:41 PM

I don't get the whole gas mix. It seems to me this would be a horrible thing to do with traps for canines as you could never get the scent off. If you use gas does that not defeat the purpose of trying to hide your traps?
Old 03-30-2015, 11:53 PM
Banned

I don't know about gas, I would think that it would leave some sort of residue/scent and that's why I went with naptha. It evaporates and leaves no scent at all.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I don't know about gas, I would think that it would leave some sort of residue/scent and that's why I went with naptha. It evaporates and leaves no scent at all.
Apparently gas works the exact same way guys, evaporates and the smell is completely gone.
I've never used either, just water with the speed dip

As for waxing connibears we used to do them all. Those 330's were a little scary after they were done, but you got used to it.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:25 AM

I paint my 120's with any metal paint I can get my hands on. They last a few seasons before needing touchups. I find the paint last longer than any other coating. Footholds I also paint Lynx traps, but use logwood for wolf traps
Old 03-31-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
I paint my 120's with any metal paint I can get my hands on. They last a few seasons before needing touchups. I find the paint last longer than any other coating. Footholds I also paint Lynx traps, but use logwood for wolf traps
Brian,

I have to ask...What color do you use!
Old 03-31-2015, 09:30 AM

They can't see it under the dirt.

Jim
Old 03-31-2015, 09:47 AM

I wanted to get three together in one picture with a red,white and blue trap. It never happened!

Jim