Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-25-2015, 08:08 AM
AO Sponsor

Default A Coyote Top Lot

Somebody we know got a top lot... Marilyn found this on facebook last night.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Old 03-25-2015, 08:11 AM

Link not working

LC
Old 03-25-2015, 08:16 AM

yup dont work for me either
Old 03-25-2015, 08:19 AM
AO Sponsor

Maybe you have to be signed into facebook?

This works....

Old 03-25-2015, 08:21 AM

right on SW!!!!!!!!!

congrats! that's the big guy upstairs. rewarding you for holding/hosting all those courses for us dummies.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:53 AM

Default select

One my red fox is "select XL"

RED FOX
LOT
SIZE |GRADE |COLOR |CLR|
QTY
XL-LGE *SEL MED
Old 03-25-2015, 11:21 AM

Good for him! That's great news!
Old 03-25-2015, 09:24 PM

Congrats , hope you get a big pay day ..
Old 03-26-2015, 07:54 AM

Default top lot counterfeits

So apparently the top lots coyotes are a joke. There's a trapper at Nafa checking out the top lots.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:58 AM

I have a hard time believing that with the tough grade on every other coyote this sale that theyd throw in some crappy ones to the top lot. But one thing is for sure thats a picture of some coyotes.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:04 AM

having said that I do know that the coyotes from the top lot and the next first lot are all the same they just pick 8 out of that lot and call it the top lot and I also know that Ive never got a top lot yote so congrats I hope they go for crazy crazy high numbers.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
I have a hard time believing that with the tough grade on every other coyote this sale that theyd throw in some crappy ones to the top lot. But one thing is for sure thats a picture of some coyotes.
One way to settle this. Marty is heading there I hear. So maybe he can report back to us
Old 03-26-2015, 09:26 AM

I'd really like to know for sure what they look at. Does it matter that the catiledge is taken out of the ears? How much of the front leg to cut off and tuck inside? Washed or not? Is belly white most important or the back colour? Tricks to make the fur look better? I know all of it counts but how much? I would really like to go there myself sometime and just see how they rate colours so I can get a better idea when I catch something.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I'd really like to know for sure what they look at. Does it matter that the catiledge is taken out of the ears? How much of the front leg to cut off and tuck inside? Washed or not? Is belly white most important or the back colour? Tricks to make the fur look better? I know all of it counts but how much? I would really like to go there myself sometime and just see how they rate colours so I can get a better idea when I catch something.
Stop in at the ATA depot in westlock and pick AJ's brain sometime. He gave me a great tutorial on grading.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:18 PM
Banned

I read the reports from "that" Trapper on the site where the screen shot came from and I've been thinking about posting his comments on here. He also posted some really good info about how coyotes are graded, straight from a NAFA grader. I think that the info that he brought up is very worthwhile and I think that I'll start a thread with the info that he passed along.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:13 PM

Ok. First of all I did not give anyone permission to take a screen shot and repost the info I put up. Not like that matters anyways, but common courtesy dictates that you ask before you do that. Now to make this 100% absolutely clear, I WAS WRONG. The top lot coyotes in this sale meet ALL the criteria for being there. I like most everyone else out there was completely wrong about what graders look for in coyotes. Now before 1000 questions are asked as to what is looked at, I invite you all to go to the Facebook page Trapping Inc and read the ENTIRE post on the top lot coyotes instead if taking snippets from it It's a private page and Rich will have to accept you. I'm pretty sure he will. I posted this prematurely when I "thought" I knew what graders wanted. Read the entire post as well as ALL the other posts from the auction and you will see that I was schooled in coyote grading. Just like the idiot who pasted this screen shot will be. Marty and I are here and went through a ton of coyotes and I can say that he truly knows coyotes. So before anyone else jumps to conclusions, please read the entire post. Thanks 5911ryan
Old 03-28-2015, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5911ryan View Post
Ok. First of all I did not give anyone permission to take a screen shot and repost the info I put up. Not like that matters anyways, but common courtesy dictates that you ask before you do that. Now to make this 100% absolutely clear, I WAS WRONG. The top lot coyotes in this sale meet ALL the criteria for being there. I like most everyone else out there was completely wrong about what graders look for in coyotes. Now before 1000 questions are asked as to what is looked at, I invite you all to go to the Facebook page Trapping Inc and read the ENTIRE post on the top lot coyotes instead if taking snippets from it It's a private page and Rich will have to accept you. I'm pretty sure he will. I posted this prematurely when I "thought" I knew what graders wanted. Read the entire post as well as ALL the other posts from the auction and you will see that I was schooled in coyote grading. Just like the idiot who pasted this screen shot will be. Marty and I are here and went through a ton of coyotes and I can say that he truly knows coyotes. So before anyone else jumps to conclusions, please read the entire post. Thanks 5911ryan
So all of a sudden I m the idiot that posted a screen shot .. no name or anything that ties you to this screen shot which was sent to me, hell i dont even have a facebook account, and you posted this on facebook hmmmm , this screen shot might have been send to a few hundred people and I guess it links back to you now. the guy that took it at least had enough sense to edit it, all i can say is I m Sorry , hope you did well on your coyotes.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:59 AM

I was a very interesting read and following your trip Ryan ! I was impressed when someone like yourself admits that you were wrong and after talking with the grader for a long time got a priceless education on how coyotes are graded . I learned a lot mysel just from reading your posts and pictures ! I grew that taking just the one post could be taken out of context , and not show the big picture !

On the topic of grading , any chance that you'd be open to giving a grading clinic at the trapper rendezvous this summer ?
Old 03-28-2015, 09:04 AM

Once you post on the Internet...closed group or not it is out there for everyone at anytime for ever.

LC
Old 03-28-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5911ryan View Post
well I know one thing if you made a mistake on how to grade a good coyote I don't have a hope lol think I will just keep sending them in and let the graders decide.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallydog View Post
well I know one thing if you made a mistake on how to grade a good coyote I don't have a hope lol think I will just keep sending them in and let the graders decide.
That's about how I feel right now. I wouldn't have skinned about 5 of them this past sale if I realised what I was skinning.