Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-14-2017, 10:39 PM

Default 257 Weatherby & Hornady ELD-X 110 gr. Bullet?

Has anyone tried the new Hornady EDL-X 110 gr. bullets in the 257 Weatherby? I was curious about accuracy with this bullet.

Last edited by ywgbandit; 11-14-2017 at 10:44 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:53 AM

I shot a mule deer last night at 730 yards from a300wm with a 200 gr eldx. The bullet was found in many pieces under the hide on the opposite shoulder. Not real impressed with the way it held together.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I shot a mule deer last night at 730 yards from a300wm with a 200 gr eldx. The bullet was found in many pieces under the hide on the opposite shoulder. Not real impressed with the way it held together.
How far did the deer go before it dropped? Did the bullet hit a rib on the way in? I'd rather have a bullet fragment than fail to open. I had tried the original Barnes X bullets many years ago in my (at the time wildcat) 7mm STW. That original X Bullet was bad for not opening up at close range/high velocity and just punching a pin hole. I tracked a wounded buck I hit broadside at under 100 yds for the entire day in the Duck mountains in Manitoba and found it half stuffed under a fallen tree 4 hours later. IMO that is a bullet failure! It went right thru and never opened up at all, doing minimal damage to the lungs on the way thru. That poor animal suffered unnecessarily because the bullet didn't do it's job. I switched back to Partitions after that. I understand that Barnes has fixed that issue.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgbandit View Post
How far did the deer go before it dropped? Did the bullet hit a rib on the way in? I'd rather have a bullet fragment than fail to open. I had tried the original Barnes X bullets many years ago in my (at the time wildcat) 7mm STW. That original X Bullet was bad for not opening up at close range/high velocity and just punching a pin hole. I tracked a wounded buck I hit broadside at under 100 yds for the entire day in the Duck mountains in Manitoba and found it half stuffed under a fallen tree 4 hours later. IMO that is a bullet failure! It went right thru and never opened up at all, doing minimal damage to the lungs on the way thru. That poor animal suffered unnecessarily because the bullet didn't do it's job. I switched back to Partitions after that. I understand that Barnes has fixed that issue.
The original X bullet had issues with fouling and with not expanding at times , but the expansion issues were worse at lower velocity. You can still run into issues with expansion with the TSX/TTSX at low impact velocities.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:10 AM

The theory we had at the time was that the high velocity was causing the bullet to implode on the small hollow point cavity. From what I have read the shape and size of the cavity has changed and they have scored the inside to assist in opening. All I know is, it left a bad taste in my mouth and I never used those bullets again. I went home & pulled all the bullets and threw them in the recycle bin, and loaded up the brass with Partitions. The problem with Partitions is poor B.C.'s and they bleed velocity quickly.

I am interested in this new Hornady ELD-X to see if it is as accurate as they claim. Specially in the 257 Weatherby. It would be nice to have a high B.C. bullet to hold the energy down range, as long as it's accurate and it expands well. The Accubond is accurate, but doesn't open up as well at longer range. I really wish Nosler would make a Ballistic tipped Partition...Best of both worlds, problem solved!
Old 11-15-2017, 11:26 AM

The buck was quartering away. Shot behind the shoulder and through opposing shoulder and was under the hide. He dropped in his tracks. One animal shot is probably not a good representation of the bullet.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The original X bullet had issues with fouling and with not expanding at times , but the expansion issues were worse at lower velocity. You can still run into issues with expansion with the TSX/TTSX at low impact velocities.
I just had a 100gr ttsx fail to expand on my whitetail just the other day, this was out of my 257 loaded hot, probably too hot. Shot was 300 yards. Needless to say I wont be using them again. I found the bullet in the shoulder and it looks like it could have been a fmj. Im going to try the 110gr accubonds next. I’ve liked the way they have performed in other calibers I own. Sorry no experience with the eldx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9B6B0397-0719-45C3-946A-003CB9D6FB1A.jpg (25.7 KB, 73 views)
Old 11-24-2017, 08:16 AM

Yet another X bullet that didn't do what it was supposed to. There are stories and pics every year. Probably one of the least reliable bullets on the market.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:13 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta_Redneck View Post
I just had a 100gr ttsx fail to expand on my whitetail just the other day, this was out of my 257 loaded hot, probably too hot. Shot was 300 yards. Needless to say I wont be using them again. I found the bullet in the shoulder and it looks like it could have been a fmj. Im going to try the 110gr accubonds next. I’ve liked the way they have performed in other calibers I own. Sorry no experience with the eldx
Yup too little velocity left to have this type of bullet at that distance open up, gotta find a better match.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-30-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I fail to see the problem here
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
I fail to see the problem here
I prefer my bullets to hold together and mushroom or open up. On something as light as a deer it was disappointing to see that the bullet had basically disintegrated even at that distance. If you hit something as big as a moose in the shoulder i dont know if the bullet would penetrate or just blow up on the shoulder.