Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-15-2018, 02:14 AM

Default A Must for the Back Country First Aid Kit

Saw this and am thinking these should be in every pack pack first aid kit. Great for back country use. Might save having to use sutures.

https://www.facebook.com/InTheKnowIn...zmFnTk0FFMCqz8
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-15-2018, 06:49 AM

Default what A coincidence.

I was just putting together a first aid kit and looking for a checklist online. I remember the AB hunter training manual had a good checklist for both survival kits and first aid but alas, I am up north and my book is in storage downsouth.

anywho: yeah those are a clever combo of steri strips and zip ties
Old 07-15-2018, 09:29 AM

Unfortunately, I'm not on Facebook, so I cannot see the article you posted...

That being said, nobody, I repeat nobody should be suturing anyone without medical training (out in the boonies or at home)!! I'm not sure why people think that they can (or should)! Any patient with a wound needing more then a steristrip to close ,should probably be evacuated (more important then any suture kit in the backcountry, would be a emergency communication device - to call in the trained professionals)! You of course would be liable if you performed a medical procedure (like suturing) if you are not specifically trained for (plus I don't know of one advanced first aid course that teaches it)!!

Again not sure what device you posted and how it relates to would closures, but hopefully it's less invasive then suturing, sounds like it might be, but is it worth the cost over steristrips?...

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Saw this and am thinking these should be in every pack pack first aid kit. Great for back country use. Might save having to use sutures.

https://www.facebook.com/InTheKnowIn...zmFnTk0FFMCqz8

-Confucius
Old 07-15-2018, 09:41 AM

[QUOTE=ÜberFly;3812284]Unfortunately, I'm not on Facebook, so I cannot see the article you posted...

That being said, nobody, I repeat nobody should be suturing anyone without medical training (out in the boonies or at home)!! I'm not sure why people think that they can (or should)!

Because you can't suture a two day old wound and you are 3 days from a hospital.
I know of two incidents where the person was glad to have there hands sutured in remote camps in the Yukon.
Making contact with a SPOT or Sat phone doesn't lift the clouds to allow a float plane to land.
It's not uncommon to be weather in for several days.
I can't legally apply a tourniquet but in a remote area either but I am not going sit and wait for a person to bleed out.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:58 AM

Butterfly sutures have been part of my kit for many years the ones in the video are an improvement pulling the skin tighter to promote faster healing.

for those not on Facebook

https://www.dermaclipus.com/
Old 07-15-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
I can't legally apply a tourniquet but in a remote area either but I am not going sit and wait for a person to bleed out.
You can legally apply a tourniquet. It's now standard first aid practice for severe bleeding that can't be controlled with pressure and elevation.

Those clips are pretty cool. They are currently Rx-only.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 07-15-2018, 10:09 AM

Suturing is NOT a life saving technique (unless performed by a trauma surgeon to close off an artery)! Pack and pressure or tourniquet and transition (tourniquets are taught and accepted as a life saving technique - if used properly)!

I'm not saying suturing wth dental floss doesn't happen in the backcountry (with success), I'm saying one shouldn't do it if not trained (due to liability reasons or making things worse). People have free will and will do what they want...

[QUOTE=Battle Rat;3812292]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post

That being said, nobody, I repeat nobody should be suturing anyone without medical training (out in the boonies or at home)!! I'm not sure why people think that they can (or should)!

Because you can't suture a two day old wound and you are 3 days from a hospital.
I know of two incidents where the person was glad to have there hands sutured in remote camps in the Yukon.
Making contact with a SPOT or Sat phone doesn't lift the clouds to allow a float plane to land.
It's not uncommon to be weather in for several days.

-Confucius
Old 07-15-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
You can legally apply a tourniquet. It's now standard first aid practice for severe bleeding that can't be controlled with pressure and elevation.

Those clips are pretty cool. They are currently Rx-only.
By 1st aid training? Thats must be a recent and welcome change.
Good to.know.
Thanks
Old 07-15-2018, 10:19 AM

Crazy glue is small and lightweight enough to add to a kit for emergencies. Works very well
Old 07-15-2018, 10:26 AM

[QUOTE=ÜberFly;3812307]Suturing is NOT a life saving technique (unless performed by a trauma surgeon to close off an artery)! Pack and pressure or tourniquet and transition (tourniquets are taught and accepted as a life saving technique - if used properly)!

I'm not saying suturing wth dental floss doesn't happen in the backcountry (with success), I'm saying one shouldn't do it if not trained (due to liability reasons or making things worse). People have free will and will do what they want...

I'm not saying do it first with improvised string.
I'm saying it may be the best option for the situation.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:37 AM

https://www.ebay.com/p/35w-Skin-Surg...d=222779197190

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Surgical-Su...uture+kit.TRS0

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 07-15-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
By 1st aid training? Thats must be a recent and welcome change.
It's a change within the last few years, BUT it must be emphasized that it is a last-resort solution, as it can result in loss of limb. The vast majority of injuries do not require the complete removal of blood flow to a limb.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 07-15-2018, 11:45 AM
Banned

I prefer this for the little bush inflicted booboo's:

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&sourc...31763052666393
Old 07-15-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:

That being said, nobody, I repeat nobody should be suturing anyone without medical training (out in the boonies or at home)!! I'm not sure why people think that they can (or should)! Any patient with a wound needing more then a steristrip to close ,should probably be evacuated (more important then any suture kit in the backcountry, would be a emergency communication device - to call in the trained professionals)! You of course would be liable if you performed a medical procedure (like suturing) if you are not specifically trained for (plus I don't know of one advanced first aid course that teaches it)!!

Again not sure what device you posted and how it relates to would closures, but hopefully it's less invasive then suturing, sounds like it might be, but is it worth the cost over steristrips?...

Peter
The Product is essentially a butterfly/steristrip that has tiny cinch straps that pull wound together. Looks pretty cool, if it works. No suturing required.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:52 AM

Quick-clot, butterfly strips and a tourniquet are in all my vehicles and hunting packs.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
It's a change within the last few years, BUT it must be emphasized that it is a last-resort solution, as it can result in loss of limb. The vast majority of injuries do not require the complete removal of blood flow to a limb.
Totally. When I worked as an EMT tourniquets to control bleeding were extremely discouraged. Never saw one used and responded to plenty of trauma calls including amputated feet, hands, and a femoral bleed among countless lacerations. Direct pressure works wonders.

Where I see a place for tourniquets is in warfare, extreme trauma, and remote backcountry scenarios where it is not possible to apply direct pressure.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:13 PM

so i guess we are supposed to sit and sing campfire songs while waiting for the medic to get there? could be a long wait if there is no cell service? not supposed to give an epi pen injection to some either,
Old 07-15-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Butterfly sutures have been part of my kit for many years the ones in the video are an improvement pulling the skin tighter to promote faster healing.

for those not on Facebook

https://www.dermaclipus.com/
Thanks for posting the link.

[QUOTE=Battle Rat;3812292]
Quote:
UberFly.. My suggestion of not having to suture meant the injured person themself not having to sew up their own wound. I kept sutures in my tool box at work and backpack. Once I took a clean cut at work and was able to put in 3 stitches myself. Healed fine. In the back country I wouldn't hesitate to attempt self stitching but these new dermaclipus closures would sure be easier.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-15-2018, 01:45 PM

Looks like a great addition to any backcountry first-aid kit. Question is where to obtain them ? Looking at their website, it appears they are available via prescription only. From their website "As the DermaClip® device is Rx Only, license information must be collected before orders can be processed. Every customer will need to have a valid Rx authorization on file."

Mr Conservation
Old 07-15-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
Totally. When I worked as an EMT tourniquets to control bleeding were extremely discouraged. Never saw one used and responded to plenty of trauma calls including amputated feet, hands, and a femoral bleed among countless lacerations. Direct pressure works wonders.

Where I see a place for tourniquets is in warfare, extreme trauma, and remote backcountry scenarios where it is not possible to apply direct pressure.
I could imagine the situation where you cannot apply pressure and move the patient at the same time due to limited resources.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
I could imagine the situation where you cannot apply pressure and move the patient at the same time due to limited resources.
Ya, I agree. I have thankfully never been involved in a call with life threatening extremity bleeding that involved technical rescue.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, I'm not on Facebook, so I cannot see the article you posted.
That's weird, I'm not on FB either and have no issues seeing public profiles.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:23 PM

Great looking product
I know of at least 2 instances I would have used that product successfully
If I can acquire them, I’d have a bunch in my pack.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:06 PM

Default Case by case so many variables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post

You can also design a tourniquet to apply direct pressure using improvised splints and and object to apply the pressure. That way you are not cutting off all blood flow to the extremity.

As for the stitches the most sterile and clean wound and the least painful option would be best with the butterflies. I wouldn’t use glue on a large wound more times than not it’s the infection that creates severe complications.